Official Nightshift thread!!!

Options

Replies

• cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Lee, hubby drives me crazy with that crap too! I only got good post-nights sleep today because he's out of town. At least I'm only on real overnights 1/3rd of the time. Don't know how you do it. I love those morningstar products, too, especially the black bean and the breakfast patty, but I have gluten intolerance so I've cut them out :frown:
    Keep sticking to the exercise and eating right and it will pay off. I like the idea of leaving 150 or so "catch all" calories but otherwise try to eat my exercise cals...

Allie, when do you exercise? I always work out before my shift, whether it's at 10pm, 4pm, or 7am. I find it energizes me. If I work out before I sleep it usually keeps me up.
  • chloehippy
    Options
    i also work mainly nightshifts, 11pm-7am at a residential home for developmentally challenged adults. we have high behavior clients so we need to be awake and alert, until recently though backshift has been very hard for me and trying to watch what i eat, it is just so easy to grab something quick and easy, which most times is high calorie/fat. but i am making better choices now, and I keep yogurt on hand at all times. it seems to help curb my sweet tooth.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    yeah a few years ago when i first started on nights, i joined curves (again), and would bring clothes with me in the car so i could go straight there after work. after a couple weeks of doing that i got so exhausted, and fell in and out of going. working out before sleep kept me up as well!
    now, especially lately i've been really tired, and ready for bed by the end of my shift, so i'll get home and pretty much get right to bed and be asleep before 9 (i get out at 7). now i workout when i get up, or later on in the day, maybe around 5 or so. depending on the workout i either feel great (jogging/walking) or rather tired (turbo jam). i'm usually great when it comes to the first half of the shift, but like i said, by the end..ugh!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Allie, I work out when I get up too. I tried working out in the morning after work, but then Im all wired and cant get to sleep till noon.

Chloe and Cute, its tough to get used to, Ive been working this shift for 3 yrs now and Im still not used to it. My off days are the qworst. Any even t like weddings or something, Im always off on my sleep sched!! Hopefully, they will change my schedule soon-ish! I always try to have lots of snacks here too like rice cakes, applea sauce, fruit. Otherwise I go to the vending machine and I have a serious cheese it addiction!! So I try to stay away!
  • bjpkwiltz
    Options
    I am one of you !!!!!! A 32 year night shift RN, now in ICU... single mom with kids now in college....the shift diff is hard to give up and at least now with the tracker I have a way to shuffle calories when I am up at night or normal. My schedule changes weekly with those wonderfu l"we are short tonight, do you want to come in for time and a half" at 3 in the afternoon calls....I never know what life will look like. I found MFP through a co-worker, and in 2 weeks having to really admit what I eat when I post it is an eye opener. 5 lbs down, many to go, but going!!!!
  • kmc3986
    Options
    Decided to join Jazzercise to speed up the weight loss. Now the "slowness" of the losing is making me mad.... Keeping up on the tracking and got a few friends involved....Misery loves company. Hope you are all doing well.
  • allie7383
    Options
    Kmc, I think getting the friends involved is one of the best things you can do, if only just to have someone there to support you through the good and esp. bad days. The first time I started logging into MFP I fell out of it after a couple weeks. The second time I started up, a few months later, I really got into reading the message boards, and when I started actually posting I couldn't stop! I found friends on here, and it's so encouraging just to have someone say, good job! to you when you've completed your food diary for the day, that it makes you want to keep on going.

I've been doing Turbo Jam, and loving it so much that last night I ordered Turbo Fire. Hopefully I'll get it in the coming days so when I have off next week I can start it up, and won't have to have energy for work once I get my butt kicked lol!
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Tonight is rough, Im off and boyfriend just went to bed. We just went food shopping, and theres tons of snacks in the house! I already had doritos, a butterfinger, and popcorn. I have to keep myself busy till I fall asleep, without eating! what do i do?
  • allie7383
    Options
    brush your teeth, or have some tea, which might make you fall asleep.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Kmc, I think getting the friends involved is one of the best things you can do, if only just to have someone there to support you through the good and esp. bad days. The first time I started logging into MFP I fell out of it after a couple weeks. The second time I started up, a few months later, I really got into reading the message boards, and when I started actually posting I couldn't stop! I found friends on here, and it's so encouraging just to have someone say, good job! to you when you've completed your food diary for the day, that it makes you want to keep on going.

I've been doing Turbo Jam, and loving it so much that last night I ordered Turbo Fire. Hopefully I'll get it in the coming days so when I have off next week I can start it up, and won't have to have energy for work once I get my butt kicked lol!

Turbo fire rocks! You are gonna love it! I'm halfway through myself :happy:
  • allie7383
    Options
    awesome, thanks cutmd!! i can't wait to get it!! i was getting so excited just watching the advertisements for it lol
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    AH I AM SO GLAD you created this. I work 9pm-7am at a hotel, and there is A TON of downtime and a TON of snacks. It's really,really frustrating because I get bored, restless, and hungry and I end up binging at work A LOT. Sometimes I exercise at work but on the occasions that I binge it is really overwhelming and I feel out of control. Anyone else in this same boat? A few months ago at the hotel I was working the evening (3-9pm) and I worked as a stocker at a sports and outdoors store, so I was climbing ladders, stocking shelves, walking/jogging all night and of course I was dropping weight fast because I slept all day, and went to work at the hotel on a very busy shift, so less down time for eating, then went straight to a 10-7 shift of the ladder-climbing, etc... now I'm in school on my butt all day, then working overnight on my butt, and caving into cravings. Any suggestions or anyone else have this problem?
  • nicu0227
    Options
    Hi my name is drea...my friend karen got me hooked up with my fitness pal...we both work as nurses at the same hospital on the "night shift"..We have been talking about weight lost and how we are finally going to start our journey..Well We Have Started and We Will Do This!!!!!
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is a good thread to have. I work rotating shifts so I usually have a day and a half off before going from days to nights. I find the first night is the hardest. I have an hour drive to and from work and a 12.5 hour shift. I find that I get less sleep on nights but have more energy when I wake up. When I go to bed I'm instantly asleep not like when I'm on days and wait to fall asleep. The place that I work at actually had this website as a link in our wellness section and there's enough to do on here to keep me going and learning new things. I even got my boyfriend to do it and he likes it.

2013645.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Teresa652
    Options
    AH I AM SO GLAD you created this. I work 9pm-7am at a hotel, and there is A TON of downtime and a TON of snacks. It's really,really frustrating because I get bored, restless, and hungry and I end up binging at work A LOT. Sometimes I exercise at work but on the occasions that I binge it is really overwhelming and I feel out of control. Anyone else in this same boat? A few months ago at the hotel I was working the evening (3-9pm) and I worked as a stocker at a sports and outdoors store, so I was climbing ladders, stocking shelves, walking/jogging all night and of course I was dropping weight fast because I slept all day, and went to work at the hotel on a very busy shift, so less down time for eating, then went straight to a 10-7 shift of the ladder-climbing, etc... now I'm in school on my butt all day, then working overnight on my butt, and caving into cravings. Any suggestions or anyone else have this problem?

When I come to work I pack enough food to get me though my shift, using the calories I'm trying to keep. I don't bring money with me. If I"m feeling hungry I try to walk or climb stairs. There are water foutains everywhere and the water is nice and cold.
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Allie- Hey, I just wanted to say that you are not the only one that has been getting super tired at the end of the shift after exercising that day. I have been having soo much trouble staying awake lately. I have tons of enegy for the first 6 hours of my shift then between 2am-4am. I am dead. I have really long days though. I wake up at 2pm to go exercise so I have time to do everything before work (6pm), and I have an hour drive to work and a 12hr shift. So my days are usually 18+ hours. The only thing that helps other than taking some sort of stimulant(coffee, 5 hour energy, tea) is just to keep moving. Go walk around if you have to.
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi all -
    Just joined this website tonight. I started seeing a nutriontist 2 weeks ago and she set me up on this site. I've kept a food journal before, but never online. I've worked the night shift for the past year in a emergency communications center. It's definitly been a rollercoaster. First just getting use to a different sleep schedule, and second adjusting to a food schedule. I was overweight when I started and I've gained about 20lbs since I started on nights and its time to change. I think I was using nights as an excuse to eat poorly. The job is very stressful and crazy at times. Also scary: most of the dispatchers that have been on the job for years are significantly overweight. They even have special chairs. That totally freaked me out. I don't want to keep packing on the pounds. I do like to excersize but I live in Vermont and winter is fast approaching. I normally wake up around 4pm and pretty soon I'm going to be loosing my daylight hours to go walking/jogging outside. I guess thats my biggest worry right now. I'm glad this forum is here though. I moved to VT for this job and working nightshift has not been condusive to meeting people. So, thanks for being here! I'll try to post often. I really want to do this right this time.
    -Meg
  • Teresa652
    Options
    I hope you find this site useful as I do. I wish you all the best in your goals. There is lots of interesting things on here to read when the nights are slow.

2013645.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Welcome Meg,
    There is alot of useful info on this site and helpful people. I totally understand about the nightshift and the communications center worked 911 for 3 years gained about 60lbs during that time. I wish I would have had MFP then. Just bring your healthy food and stay away from the fast food, vending machines, and the ever increasing breakroom pastries and snacks, and you should do fine. Yeah those extra big chairs are scary... lol. I dont know what kind of phone you have, but there is a nice app for the IPhone and Andriod phones for this site so you can log anywhere.
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I can totally see where youre coming from - there is a TON of stuff to read on here. It's incredibly encouraging to know there are other nightshifters out that have the same struggles that I do. With all the blogs and message boards, I'm really hoping to stay out of those big chairs! haha