"Lose weight with a doctor's supervision." LOL!

Options
Okay. Long rant.

I weighed 463 a few months ago. I completely cleaned up my diet. I very rarely eat fast food now. Yesterday was the first time in two months and I didn't even eat anywhere near what I used to. I eat mostly fruits and veggies. Lean meats. I cut out most processed food. I work at a fast food restaurant but do not touch the food and have no desire to. (Being covered in grease all day has that effect on people.) I stopped drinking pop and I drink only water now, and a lot of it. I became a lot more active. I now weigh 435. I'm still way too big and I'm nowhere near done, but damn, I made some progress! I think I'm doing pretty effin' good!

So, I had a follow-up appointment with my primary care physician this morning about medication I'm on. I figured I would take that opportunity to ask her about what exercise was safe at my weight and make sure I was all clear on that and let her know the changes I've made. I don't need her support, but I thought I'd get some sort of expertise.

Firstly, her chart showed I gained weight because she used to use a scale that didn't weigh me so my weight was always off and I KNEW that then. Now she has a scale that weighs right and says I gained weight. Um, no. I told her I was 463. I now weigh 435. I'm losing weight at a faster pace then is even recommended. So she now knows I lost weight, but didn't bother asking me what I've been doing. She just goes on this rant about how I need to eat less calories and the right kind. WELL, NO CRAP! I told her all of what I just posted. "Well, I'm glad you're making SOME positive changes at least." Thanks? Then she busted out her BMI chart to show me that I should weigh 130 and informed me I have a LONG way to go. Duh! Make it seem even harder! I'm not aiming for 130 either. She can kiss my butt.

I told her about BMR and said I aim for 2400 calories a day but usually eat 2000. She informed me BMR is what you need to maintain your weight. I said, "I know. My actual BMR has me eating over 3400." Then she said I need to be eating 1500 and it'll go down lower when I've lost more weight. This chick will probably want me eating 1200 in a few months. She didn't seem to know much about BMR or even how to figure it out. I just wanted to punch her when I left there. She wasn't the least bit impressed with the changes I've made and told me I needed to do better and eat "the right kinds of calories". I've been eating mostly fruits and veggies for a few months now, but she doesn't listen for crap so she didn't hear anything I was saying.

I should say I am in good health besides weight. I have no immediate pressing medical issues that would tell her I need to drop weight fast. My blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol are all textbook normal. So, that's not what her deal is. Sometimes I think she gets aggravated because she sees how heavy I am and is sure I will be ready to keel over and she ends up having to tell me I'm perfectly fine besides being obese. I know being big puts me at risk for those issues, but they aren't issues yet. I'm getting healthier to prevent them.

Shouldn't doctors know this stuff? They don't seem to. I'm looking for another doctor. This one has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I think the key thing here is that she's not listening to you. Yes, I'd look for another doctor, one that will look at and listen to you and respond to what you say, not to what's going on in her mind at the time.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Time for a new doctor!!!! And I love your attitude about everything. You seem to really be doing great, and congrats on your success so far!

I just wanted to add that, while your doctor may be "right" about what she's telling you, I think she has a terrible bedside manner. It's not necessary for her to tell you what you already know and point out how far you have to go. I mean, she should be realistic, but she should also be considerate, supportive, encouraging, and basically a decent human being. I don't think she should coddle you, but she definitely doesn't have to rub your face in it either.

Also, I may have read this part wrong, but did you mean TDEE is what you need to maintain your weight, not BMR?
  • kteach36
    Options
    I agree. You need to find a supportive doctor. I have a wonderful doctor who not only listens and supports me but actually told me I inspired her to lose weight and do more exercise. I left that appointment on cloud 9. ! Keep up the good work. It sounds like you are headed in the right direction!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't doctors know this stuff? They don't seem to. I'm looking for another doctor. This one has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Most family physicians spend about 15 minutes of their medical training on nutrition. If you do feel the need to for help see a Registered Dietician (not a nutritionist).

I'd look for a doctor who actually listens to you (especially if all of your other metrics are good)
  • LeanAmbitions
    Options
    Time for a new doctor!!!! And I love your attitude about everything. You seem to really be doing great, and congrats on your success so far!

I just wanted to add that, while your doctor may be "right" about what she's telling you, I think she has a terrible bedside manner. It's not necessary for her to tell you what you already know and point out how far you have to go. I mean, she should be realistic, but she should also be considerate, supportive, encouraging, and basically a decent human being. I don't think she should coddle you, but she definitely doesn't have to rub your face in it either.

Also, I may have read this part wrong, but did you mean TDEE is what you need to maintain your weight, not BMR?

Probably. lol. 3420 is what I'd need to eat to maintain my weight and I actually have my thing set to sedentary which is not accurate anymore.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Woooo sheesh I would totally have given her a piece of my mind! Good attitude on your part, you can do it and you definitely don't need a whack doctor like that! Find a new one who respects you and your decisions to get healthy and continue on your journey! We look forward to reading about it on MFP! :)
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    She probably does not have any special training in diet/weight loss. You may do better visiting a registered dietitian because he/she has special training and spends all of his/her time working with clients on diet/weight loss/healthy behaviors.

As for exercise, I am not a doctor, but I would guess that something gentle, like swimming, would be easy on your body and beneficial to you. If you are comfortable walking, walking is also great exercise.

Best of luck.
  • becktacular90
    becktacular90 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I went to get signed off to start doing LighterLife, my doctor told me for 20mins how almost impossible it was going to be and how I'd be lucky if I didn't end up back there in two months much heavier, then screeched around the whole surgery "I NEED BIGGER SCALES IN HERE, BIGGER SCALES"

Over 100lbs down, but I've still never ever been back.

If you'd like someone else who has a looooooooot to lose, feel free to add me as a friend :)

Oh, and change doctor :P
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Oh and I agree that you need a new doctor. My personal doctor is like my biggest cheerleader. The last time I saw her, I had lost 5 pounds and she was all "good job! that is so awesome!" to encourage my healthy changes. I can't wait to see her in October of this year, because now I'm almost at 41 lost, so I should be well over 50 lost by then. I wish everyone could have a supportive doctor like her.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I think the key thing here is that she's not listening to you. Yes, I'd look for another doctor, one that will look at and listen to you and respond to what you say, not to what's going on in her mind at the time.

Agree.
  • mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely look for a new doctor. You need one who listens to you and actually hears you. Good luck and keep up the excellent work!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Don't bother trying to tell her she's wrong. Get a new doctor! =D Sounds like you're doing amazing. =)

P.S. You think she'd notice that all of her patients were suddenly gaining tens of pounds. -_-;
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great attitude, you are an inspiration.

I'd find a new doctor too. Someone who is patient and listens. It scares me a bit that the doctor recommended 1500 calories, and I'm not a fan of the TDEE/BMR method. If you are losing weight where you are now, it doesn't make sense to go lower. It sounds like you've found what works for you and just keep doing it.

Good luck to you, I know you can do this!!
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    She probably does not have any special training in diet/weight loss. You may do better visiting a registered dietitian because he/she has special training and spends all of his/her time working with clients on diet/weight loss/healthy behaviors.

As for exercise, I am not a doctor, but I would guess that something gentle, like swimming, would be easy on your body and beneficial to you. If you are comfortable walking, walking is also great exercise.

Best of luck.

This, most GPs have up to 7 hours of actual diet and nutrition training, most of them are quite ignorant but still have no problem pressing incorrect or even dangerous advice on their patients. She should have offered to refer you to a RD.

Also yeah, you mean your TDEE for 3400 calories a day to maintain, BMR is something in general people aren't recommended to eat below, it's what your body needs in order to run if you were in a coma. Even at sedentary you're burning a lot more calories than your BMR.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I think that doctors do not have a lot of training in nutrition. 1500 calories is way too few for you, and you are making good progress on your own doing it reasonably. I have a really good doctor that has been supportive of the way I have chose to lose weight(plant based diet). But even he does not seem to know a great deal about details, like exactly how many calories one should be eating to lose weight, etc.

Just keep up the good work. You have made good progress so far, and it sounds like you are doing it in a really sensible, healthy way.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for making changes. IMO, some doctor's don't get it, so I have to agree with everyone else, find a new doctor. You need that is going to listen to you. Good luck ~ I wish you all the best!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Good for you making new changes that will move you forward. I am lucky to have a doctor who listens to me and praises my results. It makes all the difference.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • hovercar
    hovercar Posts: 15
    Options
    Ugh, I'm so sorry you had that experience. I've had wonderful doctors, and I've had doctors whose incompetence or cruelty just enraged me. I'm going to echo the sentiment on here that you might want to try a different primary care physician.

Also, this reminded me of a really moving TED talk that you might want to watch. In it, a young surgeon tells the story of how he judged an obese young woman for contributing to her own diabetes - and (although the talk is focused mostly on questioning the roots of diabetes) he offers an apology that feels like it's meant for everyone who's ever been fat-shamed by their doctor.

Link: http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia_what_if_we_re_wrong_about_diabetes.html
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

^^^ This^^^ time for a new doctor, one that will listen to you and work with you.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else … GPs don't have a lot of training in diet, nutrition, and fitness. She should have referred you to a dietician.

Even more, she should list. Every doctor should listen to their patients. Seriously … this is how misdiagnoses and improper treatments happen. If she isn't listening on this topic, what will happen if something more critical comes up? I would really find a new doctor.

Lastly, congratulations on the changes you've been making and the success you've had. Keep it up! You are amazing!