Do you eat Breakfast?

Options

Replies

• JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I used to have a breakfast with 250 calories or s protein bar with about the same. However now, a Small breakfast like coffee and half a protein bar or one protein pancake. I keep it under 200 calories. If I don't eat anything sometimes I feel like I will not make it through my morning workout. Even with something as little as 50-100 calories I feel a little better. On occasion I skip but I usually try to get started with something.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I personally don't understand how anyone can skip breakfast in the morning. I used to only eat a large bowl of cereal (normally the sugary stuff too) every morning about a half hour after I got up, and within a few hours I would be starving, so I couldn't imagine skipping it.

Since I started eating a bigger breakfast (one or two eggs, homemade bread toasted and sometimes a breakfast meat and/or a small serving of fruit - and I've cut out the coffee I used to have every day and drink at least two cups of water instead) and I have much more energy and a more positive attitude overall for my day, and can last up to 7 hours before needing to eat something again, and then my lunch is normally about half the calorie intake as my breakfast. The only time I "skip" breakfast is on my days off, and in those cases it's just that I don't eat for a few hours after I get up.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I used to skip breakfast too - I'm not a morning person either and I just wasn't hungry first thing in the morning. But on the recommendation of my nutritionist I now eat breakfast every day - usually a piece of fruit and something with about 8-10 grams of protein. I've found that it keeps me from feeling so hungry by the time lunch rolls around and grabbing the closest thing to eat, which usually meant something not particularly good for me and tended to be fairly calorie-dense.

It makes sense to me that breakfast would get my metabolism going in the morning after not eating all night, although I can hear all the naysayers already grumbling that the research just doesn't support that theory. Whatever.

Eating breakfast works for me - you have to do what works for you.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only non-breakfaster! I've always struggled with breakfast. Sometimes I can force down a small bowl of cereal or a slice of toast, and if I get up late or eat a mid-morning breakfast I can cope with more food. I'm always hungry before lunch regardless of whether I eat breakfast, so why make myself feel ill by forcing food down?

I tend to just drink a glass of milk for breakfast. though lately I've been a bit naughty and added Nesquik chocolate powder to it >_>
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think this post is great! It is showing how different we all are! Some people can't go without it and some people need to. Personally I have tried to eat breakfast and I can eat sugary cereal or egg white omelets with veggies it doesn't make a difference to me I still eat like a pig. If I don't eat it I find it easier to make healthy choices for the rest of the day.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    More like a snack than breakfast..I eat the same thing every morning a 90 calorie fiber one bar. Usually the lemon one or cinnamon one. Then about 1 hour later I have something small as a mid morning snack like fruit or some fig newtons. It is fine for me, I am not a breakfast person. It is my least favorite meal.

ETA...when I was overweight, I used to eat 2 pop tarts for a total of 400 calories. Big difference. ;)
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    For years I have eaten a nutrition bar, lately Adkins bc I'm doing low carb. I eat a bar w/black coffee & 2 calci. chews.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I dont eat until noon.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you!

I'm the kind that needs to eat breakfast or I'll be starving all afternoon/evening regardless of what I eat. In fact this was one of the problems with my weight gain. I wouldn't eat breakfast, or not much, and then I'd end up snacking on crap all afternoon.

I will say though, most day it's more like "brunch" as I don't eat until 8 or 9am. Just coffee first thing then I'll have some eggy thing from the cafe at work and my yogurt.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    On my day off I don't eat until after 2pm. On work days I eat breakfast and lunch before going to work (work 11-7pm) and don't eat while at work. Then I have dinner about 2 hours before bed (around 9pm). I work at a restaurant and we are not allowed to bring outside food with us, and I don't get long enough of a break to order food from the kitchen, and have time to enjoy it, so I just don't eat while at work.

I do sometimes snack while at work. I'll bring something like a Cliff Bar or some almonds to munch on. But I have to kind of sneak these foods, as we are not allowed to bring our own food from home due to health code.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat breakfast other than a cup of chocolate soy milk (whch technically I drink). Sometimes on the weekend I'll eat breakfast after working out, but I sleep later on weekends so it's usually close to noon by the time I do.
  • Way2slk
    Way2slk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hollie, here is what I have learned over the years. If dinner is the last thing you had at night, then your body is doing something with that food and calories. All night long it is still doing its job, does not know if it is a weekend, etc. the only thing it knows that it is looking for something to eat, because your body it still working all night long. First thing it looks for is protein and that is going to come from muscle and it storing the fat and turning the carbs into sugar for storage, because it needs to be fed. Ok now you wake up in the morning and you expect your engine to take off and be revved up, but you have not given it any fuel to burn, so it going to good storage and still storing fat, because you are starving it and it is holding on to everything you have given it. If you feed it protein in the morning, now it has fuel to burn and get the engines burning fat and not muscle. energy is up and your Porsche body now has Premium fuel to make it perform.

Here is a little graphic that you can save for use in travels

ththExercisegirl.gif
  • RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always eat a morning meal with a decent amount of carbs and high in protein. Usually this is after my morning run (7-10 miles on weekdays). I find that I need the satiation that protein provides to keep me from being a bottomless pit for snacks until lunch. I am still a heavy snacker (3 100-300 calorie snacks a day along with larger meals), but I find I'm more of a "Carb Craver" if I don't eat breakfast.
  • Twister19
    Twister19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Getting to eat breakfast is like my only motivation to get out of bed so... :wink:
  • katbirdinpa
    Options
    I eat my largest meal at 11. Does that count?
  • florulent
    florulent Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I normally try to eat breakfast everyday unless I'm in a rush. Just small meals. Like one egg and a fruit, or one bowl of oatmeal with fruit, etc. I've noticed that when I skip breakfast, I eat larger quantities at one sitting later in the day... which I know is bad for my metabolism and ultimately my weight loss.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast yes, but I don't eat it M-F. I drink it.

Almond Protein shake FTW.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I eat a light breakfast, usually just toast or a small bowl of cereal....and of course, coffee.
  • julzbennett
    julzbennett Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well, I agree with that but so many studies say that people who eat breakfast are thinner than people who don't. So I'm just wondering how true that is!

I read somewhere that this is because the TYPE of person who typically eats breakfast TENDS to be the type with a balanced (an therefore healthier) diet...so the results though true are skewed!

I have to have breakfast or at 4pm I go into a major sugar-funk and eat the world of chocolate! As soon as breakfast and lunch get sloppy I'm doomed to fail!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I know the popular answer is "You're SUPPOSED to eat breakfast!!!"...

I haven't found this ^^ to be a "popular answer" ~ where are you hearing you're SUPPOSED to eat breakfast?

I usually do but that's because I usually wake up hungry. But some days I don't feel like eating til later and that's cool too. I say eat when you're hungry.