I'm Trying Everything to Lose Weight...help!

Options

Replies

• junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Make a list of your most common excuses and hang it somewhere you can easily see it (more in your face the better) then use that to help motivate you. Become aware of your downfalls and then just cut them out.
  • skinnygirly23
    skinnygirly23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You may need a different/new approach. You seem to be thinking in terms of everything that is keeping you where you are and things hindering you from changing them. Instead think of what you CAN do. Maybe Insanity is TOO much for you. Try small achievable goals. Encourage yourself to make small steps toward change, hopefully this will motivate you! Good Luck!
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper's Skinny Rules

1. drink a large glass of water before every meal--no excuses!
    2. don't drink your calories
    3. Eat protein at every meal--or stay hungry and grouchy
    4. slash your intake of refined flours and grains
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day.
    7. No carbs after lunch
    8. Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating.
    9. Stop guessing about portion sizes and get it right--for good.
    10. No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones.
    11. Get rid of those white potatoes.
    12. Make one day a week meatless.
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods.
    14. Eat a real breakfast.
    15. Make your own food and eat alt least ten meals a week at home.
    16. Banish high salt foods.
    17. Eat your vegetables--just do it!
    18. Go to bed hungry.
    19. Sleep right.
    20. Plan one splurge meal a week

And I add 'RUN WHEN YOU CAN, WALK WHEN YOU HAVE TO, CRAWL IF YOU MUST. BUT NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!
    Also just start by putting one foot in front of the other and repeat for 60 minutes.
    Do you want to live a healthy long life is the question? Fit or Fat?
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    Focus on one thing that works for you. I stay focused on excercise every day & eating healthy but low carb. Pretty soon it becomes habit & it's easy. Just stay focused.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I work out by myself.

I do it for myself.

You just have to want it bad enough and then you'll do it. That's all there is to it.

"don't be upset with the results you didn't get for the work you didn't do"
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I work out by myself.

I do it for myself.

You just have to want it bad enough and then you'll do it. That's all there is to it.

"don't be upset with the results you didn't get for the work you didn't do"

^^ Exactly!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How about..... eat a little less of normal food (not a lot less, or all grapefruit or cabbage like some crazy quick scheme).
    And.... move a little more. It can be walking or dancing or like.... walking.... it doesn't have to be some crazy hard thing.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like, but at the end of the day you have to be your own motivation. If you rely on others to motivate you, then when they quit or don't feel like going, then you won't.

You have to want this for you and you have to push yourself. Once you get that down, then you will be good to go.

If you have knee issues, then either try not to go as deep in your squats or as heavy in your movements.

Good luck!!!!!
  • allansdell
    allansdell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do low impact then (since your knee was bothering you), and eat balanced meals. If you have a yard, get a trampoline..if not, get a mini one (rebounder) for inside. You can do your cardio at home and it takes 60-80% of the impact off of you.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    words80.jpg

YOU need to be your motivation.

Not someone else, not any one thing, YOU.

If you are counting on tips, and tricks and fads to get you where you want to be, you do not want it bad enough.

Every day I have to remind myself that my EXCUSES are what got me to my highest weight, my MOTIVATION is what is going to get me to the best shape of my life.
  • Wisemomoffour
    Wisemomoffour Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    How about..... eat a little less of normal food (not a lot less, or all grapefruit or cabbage like some crazy quick scheme).
    And.... move a little more. It can be walking or dancing or like.... walking.... it doesn't have to be some crazy hard thing.

This! Move more and eat more real food. I would add log your food and exercise. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or hard. You CAN do this and you don't have to be hard core to do it.

You are so worth it! Good luck and friend me if you'd like.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    ...then you don't want it bad enough.

period.
    point blank.

Yup. No one can change you, but you.

This.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many tips, tricks, and fads to try to lose weight. .

Here is your problem.

Additionally, you don't have to work out to lose weight. A reasonable calorie deficit is enough. If that's all you do, it will be enough.

That's it. In the end, this is simply it.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am adding a couple of you to my friend's I hope you don't mind. If you get a request and accept, thanks I am looking to collaborate, to work together as a whole for inspiration and dedication. One person cannot go this alone and so i would love it if you accept thanks!! :smile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight, I had joined this site, but I didn't wait on other people, I was at home every day working out alone. I lost the majority of my weight that way.

I have a left knee that hates me. The more weight I lost the better my knee got which then encouraged me to keep going so it could continue getting better.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    Options

Here is your problem.

Additionally, you don't have to work out to lose weight. A reasonable calorie deficit is enough. If that's all you do, it will be enough.

That's really an oversimplification of a larger issue. Plenty of people want things very badly. Some attain their goals, some don't. The difference between the two can certainly be drive but another aspect is learning. Discipline is learned, not born out of genetics. If one doesn't have discipline all the want in the world isn't going to help and folks end up spinning their wheels looking for the right path.

OP, start practicing discipline in small doses. Begin creating good habits. It's like training in sports. We rep to create muscle memory. The more mindful reps taken, the easier a skill becomes. The more often you are mindful of being disciplined, the easier practicing good habits become. Trust me. I hate running more than anybody. When my treadmill shows I have 3 minutes of running left and I'm all alone, I can't tell you how tempting it is to shut it down. We've all been there at one point or another; looking for the easy out. You aren't alone. Start reframing your options as acceptable or not. Whole hog will only lead to frustration. Pick your battles wisely (within yourself) and build your discipline from there. You can drop the weight but it won't happen until you teach yourself to be accountable to yourself, first.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Last thing...There is only do or do not there is no try. To me trying means there is a chance for failure or trying means it's something I can make excuses for, well I gave it a shot, I tried and it didn't work. This is your life! Your health! You either want to be healthier, stronger, better or you don't. People will say it's not that simple, but really it is.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Here is your problem.

That's really an oversimplification of a larger issue. Plenty of people want things very badly. Some attain their goals, some don't. The difference between the two can certainly be drive but another aspect is learning. Discipline is learned, not born out of genetics. If one doesn't have discipline all the want in the world isn't going to help and folks end up spinning their wheels looking for the right path.

OP, start practicing discipline in small doses. Begin creating good habits. It's like training in sports. We rep to create muscle memory. The more mindful reps taken, the easier a skill becomes. The more often you are mindful of being disciplined, the easier practicing good habits become. Trust me. I hate running more than anybody. When my treadmill shows I have 3 minutes of running left and I'm all alone, I can't tell you how tempting it is to shut it down. We've all been there at one point or another; looking for the easy out. You aren't alone. Start reframing your options as acceptable or not. Whole hog will only lead to frustration. Pick your battles wisely (within yourself) and build your discipline from there. You can drop the weight but it won't happen until you teach yourself to be accountable to yourself, first.

The OP has been a member of this site since 2011. They, at one time, cared enough to try. Telling them to change.. or to create good habits... or what little tips you can offer... it's pointless if they don't care enough to, well, do it.

If they don't want it, they aren't going to make it happen.
    If they do, they will. It isn't an oversimplification. The help they need isn't going to come from some forum. They need to find their own REASON to better themselves if that's what they want to do.

It really is that simple.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That's really an oversimplification of a larger issue. Plenty of people want things very badly.

It's not an oversimplification. It's just a matter of whether you want fitness or another slice of pizza more. That's pretty much the end of the story.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying exercise is not important, but I lost all my weight basically by eating at a reasonable calorie deficit. No regular exercise. So if you can eat at a reasonable calorie deficit AND fit in exercise a couple days a week, you're ahead of the game!