What is a sport?

Options

Replies

• Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure track & field as well as weight lifting use "judging" as well. As a matter of fact all officiating is essentially "judging" if you want to get right down to it. An official can absolutely have an effect on the outcome of a game based on their good or bad judgement call on a play, move, etc.....

For example, the "Fail Mary" in the Monday Night Football game of Week 3 last football season. The officials incorrectly called a touchdown, which resulted in a loss to the Packers.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Golf is not a sport. It's a skill....What's next throwing darts is a sport.

Let the argueing begin

Golf is totally a sport. Cheerleading is totally not a sport.

As a cheerleading coach, I'd like to ask how you've decided it's not a sport. Competition cheerleaders compete against other squads, which makes it a sport by definition. Besides that, the level of gymnastics, coordination, agility, etc. that is needed is up there with any (and sometimes beyond) any other activity that you would consider a sport.

It's not a sport because it is not objective. This has been covered pretty well. It is an athletic competition, but definitely not a sport. Is body building a sport?
    I didn't think so.
    Further, I could find better coordination and flexibility at a yoga class. But is yoga a sport?

You've obviously never seen a cheerleading competition or you wouldn't make the crack about yoga. Do you not consider gymnastics a sport? Because I seem to recall it being in the Olympics last I checked...And I realize that it's been covered, but I already covered the fact that you can debate all you want about what a sport is but the definition is clear.

And that's what we're debating P-Dawg. Because I would argue (and have) that neither gymnastics nor cheerleading is a sport. Athletic competition, yes. Talented athletes, yes. But not a sport.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    In my opinion:

A sport is a competitive activity that requires a higher than average degree of fitness and coordination.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bowling

I have to disagree with bowling.
    If you can hold a beer or a hoagie in one hand & still perform said event, it's not a sport. It's a game. :drinker:

I'd really like to see someone bowl over 100 with food or drink in their hand WHILE bowling.
    Sure, bowlers are not athletes, but bowling is a sport.
    It's possible though.......and it's how i bowl (in the mid 90s) :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

That's not really bowling. It's like saying you play baseball when all you do is go to the batting cages.
    Now you're getting personal about my mad bowling skills! :angry:

If it makes you feel better, I play baseball and hit 5 out of 20 balls in the batting cage. :)
    but you said that's not technically baseball?!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Bowling

I have to disagree with bowling.
    If you can hold a beer or a hoagie in one hand & still perform said event, it's not a sport. It's a game. :drinker:

I'd really like to see someone bowl over 100 with food or drink in their hand WHILE bowling.
    Sure, bowlers are not athletes, but bowling is a sport.
    It's possible though.......and it's how i bowl (in the mid 90s) :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

That's not really bowling. It's like saying you play baseball when all you do is go to the batting cages.
    Now you're getting personal about my mad bowling skills! :angry:

If it makes you feel better, I play baseball and hit 5 out of 20 balls in the batting cage. :)
    but you said that's not technically baseball?!

It's not, I'm just trying to make you feel better.
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    smh - I think using the word athletic & competition by nature entitles the event to be a sport. So you're saying anything that is judged SUBjectively is NOT a sport? gymnastics, ice skating, diving - the more artistic events?

Exactly. I'm not saying they don't take athleticism and talent; I'm just saying they are competitions, not sports.

And it's not just artistic events. Take rodeo - barrel racing: sport. Bull riding: not a sport.
  • Last2bfirst
    Last2bfirst Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sport is a type of vehicle
  • 1PatientBear
    Options
    Pretty sure track & field as well as weight lifting use "judging" as well. As a matter of fact all officiating is essentially "judging" if you want to get right down to it. An official can absolutely have an effect on the outcome of a game based on their good or bad judgement call on a play, move, etc.....

For example, the "Fail Mary" in the Monday Night Football game of Week 3 last football season. The officials incorrectly called a touchdown, which resulted in a loss to the Packers.

For about the fifth time, officials on the field.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    what about eSports? is playing Starcraft or League of Legends a sport? those games take incredible reflexes along with strategy.
    ...LOL - Based on the criteria established here, yep.

No, an "esport" is not a sport. There has to be SOME element of physical activity to qualify as a sport. Chess is not a sport either.

I'd disagree. Chess is as much of a sport as anything. Serious finger muscles, dude.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Let the argueing begin

As a cheerleading coach, I'd like to ask how you've decided it's not a sport. Competition cheerleaders compete against other squads, which makes it a sport by definition. Besides that, the level of gymnastics, coordination, agility, etc. that is needed is up there with any (and sometimes beyond) any other activity that you would consider a sport.

It's not a sport because it is not objective. This has been covered pretty well. It is an athletic competition, but definitely not a sport. Is body building a sport?
    I didn't think so.
    Further, I could find better coordination and flexibility at a yoga class. But is yoga a sport?

You've obviously never seen a cheerleading competition or you wouldn't make the crack about yoga. Do you not consider gymnastics a sport? Because I seem to recall it being in the Olympics last I checked...And I realize that it's been covered, but I already covered the fact that you can debate all you want about what a sport is but the definition is clear.

And that's what we're debating P-Dawg. Because I would argue (and have) that neither gymnastics nor cheerleading is a sport. Athletic competition, yes. Talented athletes, yes. But not a sport.

Understood. But you also said that weight lifiting is a sport, and some are saying that it's not just like cheerleading isn't. I disagree with your definition, but I see what train of thought you are following. Others are not.

And to the one who said I'm taking this way too seriously, sorry, but I've been arguing with someone all day at work who says cheerleading isn't a sport and all women's athletics are a waste of money. I'm a little riled up. lol
  • scottaworley
    Options
    smh - I think using the word athletic & competition by nature entitles the event to be a sport. So you're saying anything that is judged SUBjectively is NOT a sport? gymnastics, ice skating, diving - the more artistic events?

Exactly. I'm not saying they don't take athleticism and talent; I'm just saying they are competitions, not sports.

And it's not just artistic events. Take rodeo - barrel racing: sport. Bull riding: not a sport.

Rodeo is the official sport of our fair state. Take it back.
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    darts.... that is 100% NOT a sport...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Darts is totally a sport.

Snooker is totally a sport.

Angling is totally a sport.

Deal with it!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    what about eSports? is playing Starcraft or League of Legends a sport? those games take incredible reflexes along with strategy.
    ...LOL - Based on the criteria established here, yep.

No, an "esport" is not a sport. There has to be SOME element of physical activity to qualify as a sport. Chess is not a sport either.

have you ever watched a Starcraft tournament? those guys hands are flying non stop. i dont see much of a difference in that and say skeet/trap shooting and that's an olympic sport.

would you say the both fall into the same category? (whatver category that is sport, competition etc...)
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Let the argueing begin

I didn't think so.
    Cheer leading is objective.

There are clear and defined goals and there are objective standard for what a squad can and must do during a routine.

You can have points deducted for failing to go long enough or not finishing your routine in time.

Their events are filmed and the watch replays to ensure that maneuvers are completely cleanly and to prevent cheating.

They have a scoring system and they have brackets that dictate their movement through a competition.

I do not see how you could justify your comparison between cheer leading and yoga.
  • According to ESPN, Texas Hold'em.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    So, to go back to boxing, what if the match is won by knockout? That removes the judges from the equation. So, a boxing match won by knockout is a sport, but a boxing match decided by the judges is an athletic competition?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    darts.... that is 100% NOT a sport...

ok but what about trap/skeet shooting? archery?
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Let the argueing begin

I didn't think so.
    Cheer leading is objective.

There are clear and defined goals and there are objective standard for what a squad can and must do during a routine.

You can have points deducted for failing to go long enough or not finishing your routine in time.

Their events are filmed and the watch replays to ensure that maneuvers are completely cleanly and to prevent cheating.

They have a scoring system and they have brackets that dictate their movement through a competition.

I do not see how you could justify your comparison between cheer leading and yoga.

Will you marry me? :love: :flowerforyou: lol
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    According to ESPN, Texas Hold'em.

i dont think they ever referred to it as a sport. do you have a quote?