Replies

• Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this :)
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just made the switch a week ago and have been doubting my decision (feels weird not starving when trying to lose weight), so thanks for this post and reminding me I made the right decision. :)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Great job! I think people should do whatever works for themselves. There's no reason to judge other people. Do YOU.. And let other people worry about themselves.

For instance.. If I ate 2200 calories per day, I would bloat up like a balloon and gain everything back. I KNOW this to be FACT because I have tried.

MFP has my calories set to 1450 (lightly active) on days that I don't exercise. I eat back whatever exercise calories I burn according to my HRM, which usually gives me around 1700-1800 calories per day. It's working for ME. 18# down in less than 2 months. I'm not starving to death. If I am hungry, I eat. I don't believe in deprivation. I eat what I want to.... In moderation, of course.

I'm glad you are doing what works for you. And you are eating less when you are less active and eating more when you are more active, which I think is perfect.

I'm not judging anyone. After all I do not live in their bodies so I have no right to judge. I just hope my story will help others, after all we are here to support each other.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Great post! Every forum post on here that goes into how there's no need to eat back your exercise calories and just log those exercises as zero calories burned NEEDS to see a copy of this post.

For me personally I do not "only eat 1200." It looks something like this on a typical day:

eat 1,200
    burn off 500
    = 700
    +500 eaten
    =1,200
    (1,700 total in calories taken in for the day)

There's so many people on here that just do not get the concept.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Such interesting posts! Also on a 1200/day caloric intake, never noticed any bad side-effects, but I think that also depends on the food that you're eating...I ate healthier than I had in years and in fact I had MORE energy than I had before and my hair and skin looked fantastic! As one poster mentioned - each journey is different and we definitely can't judge each other on what works or doesn't work! And since seeing all these posts, I've done some research on TDEE (didn't know what that was before now!) and realize that I can up my calories without worry - seems legit. Interesting, however, that each TDEE calculator on-line gives a slightly different number...guess I'll pick 3 and average!

Thank you too, to the poster who mentioned some healthy snacks that have a higher calorie count - helps fill in the gaps.

Some research I did on exercise calories made me think about those differently as well. While exercising on a machine (treadmill, bike, etc.) it will give us a rough idea of how many calories burned (or enter into MFP). So, say you run for 30 minutes and the machine/MFP tells you you've burned 300 calories (hypothetically). They aren't calories burned completely from the exercise because in 30 minutes, even if you did nothing but lay on the couch, you would have burned calories, so you need to subtract the calories you would have burned just existing from total the calories you burned exercising...this will give you a more accurate picture of the calories you burned during the exercise...make sense?!!...I'm not good with the words...words are hard...!!

Good luck to everyone on their journey!

See my post above. My guess is you're NET 1,200 and actually taking in MORE on days you workout. Because you're logging your workouts and eating back those exercise calories so not actually EATING only 1,200. You're eating 1,600- 1,800 or something similar. Am I right? Just a guess...
  • Onesnap
    Options
    MFP had put me on 1200 cal a day, I'm 5'8 and weigh 170 pounds, and have a deskjob, but try to go for a walk everyday, and to the gym 3-4 times a week (attempting to start weight training soon, I'm insanely clumsly so am looking to find someone to show me proper form). But I am SOOOO hungry!, I just did my BMR and TDEE and found out I need to up my calories, so I'm hoping a notice a difference in how I feel.

I'm not concerned about losing weight quickly, especially if while I'm doing it I can feel decent, most the times I just give up because I just feel drained and overwhelmed by this 1200 calorie business!

Did you have MFP set to lose 2 pounds per week? 1200 seems very low to me for your height / weight. With only 20 or so pounds to lose, I would adjust it to lose .5 or 1 pound a week. (or switch to TDEE as you mentioned!) Good luck! I'm 5'6.5" with 30-40 to lose, and I'm losing steadily on 1500 calories PLUS eating back at least some of my exercise calories.

I tried both MFP (set to lose 1pd/week) and TDEE after joining this board (never heard of TDEE before then!) My number goal is actually pretty similar, assuming I set them up the same way. (Example: I have MFP set at 1500 calories + exercise to lose 1 pound. TDEE says 1556 for sedentary or 1783 for lightly active, which is probably closer what I average eating with exercise to lose 1 pound) I'm personally sticking with MFP because I like the visual of 'earning more calories' - but that's just a mental thing! Find what works for you! :)

Quick question. If you're at 1500 and only eating back "some" of your exercise calories aren't you regularly falling below 1,200 NET for the day? Just curious.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    +1
    100% agree. Great job OP!

tumblr_inline_mlf1be77hi1qz4rgp.gif
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Great post! Every forum post on here that goes into how there's no need to eat back your exercise calories and just log those exercises as zero calories burned NEEDS to see a copy of this post.

For me personally I do not "only eat 1200." It looks something like this on a typical day:

eat 1,200
    burn off 500
    = 700
    +500 eaten
    =1,200

The only people I know who are logging exercise as zero calories burned are the ones who have set their custom calorie goal which **includes** the exercise calories. Also known as the TDEE -% method.

In your example above, this person would eat 1700 calories too, that would be their total goal including their exercise.

Most of the confused people are logging their exercise burns and going with Net less than 1200 and calling it good.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    MFP had put me on 1200 cal a day, I'm 5'8 and weigh 170 pounds, and have a deskjob, but try to go for a walk everyday, and to the gym 3-4 times a week (attempting to start weight training soon, I'm insanely clumsly so am looking to find someone to show me proper form). But I am SOOOO hungry!, I just did my BMR and TDEE and found out I need to up my calories, so I'm hoping a notice a difference in how I feel.

I'm not concerned about losing weight quickly, especially if while I'm doing it I can feel decent, most the times I just give up because I just feel drained and overwhelmed by this 1200 calorie business!

Yeah, it sounds like you were not eating back your exercise calories. If you were you would have been taking in 1500-1700/day in food and NET 1200.
  • Onesnap
    Options

eat 1,200
    burn off 500
    = 700
    +500 eaten
    =1,200

The only people I know who are logging exercise as zero calories burned are the ones who have set their custom calorie goal which **includes** the exercise calories. Also known as the TDEE -% method.

In your example above, this person would eat 1700 calories too, that would be their total goal including their exercise.

Most of the confused people are logging their exercise burns and going with Net less than 1200 and calling it good.

Agreed. Those that log 0 are usually following TDEE -% but some are not. I do see a lot of folks on here that have trouble reaching their calorie goals for the day so I think they just start not eating back their exercise cals. And that begins a slippery downward slope.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Did you have MFP set to lose 2 pounds per week? 1200 seems very low to me for your height / weight. With only 20 or so pounds to lose, I would adjust it to lose .5 or 1 pound a week. (or switch to TDEE as you mentioned!) Good luck! I'm 5'6.5" with 30-40 to lose, and I'm losing steadily on 1500 calories PLUS eating back at least some of my exercise calories.

I tried both MFP (set to lose 1pd/week) and TDEE after joining this board (never heard of TDEE before then!) My number goal is actually pretty similar, assuming I set them up the same way. (Example: I have MFP set at 1500 calories + exercise to lose 1 pound. TDEE says 1556 for sedentary or 1783 for lightly active, which is probably closer what I average eating with exercise to lose 1 pound) I'm personally sticking with MFP because I like the visual of 'earning more calories' - but that's just a mental thing! Find what works for you! :)

Quick question. If you're at 1500 and only eating back "some" of your exercise calories aren't you regularly falling below 1,200 NET for the day? Just curious.

Not everyone is exercising for the time or intensity (or has the body size) to burn more than 300 calories. And many say that the MFP database burns are overinflated compared to HRM. Some people who only walk for exercise may not burn that much, depending on their size.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    audience.gif

Well done, OP! I know that feel. Been there, done it. Loving my 1900 cals a day. :3
  • honestlyjohn
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this, it's just what I was looking for.

When I started out, I subtracted around 500-600 calories from what everything said I should be eating to lose 1lb a week - which at that time put me at around 1700 calories. (I'm tall and weighed A LOT.) That seemed reasonable and, sure enough, I lost 65 lbs over the course of a couple of years, without exercise, leading a sedentary lifestyle. But then, at around 230 lbs, I plateaued. Then, ever so slowly, I gained back 15 lbs. Panic. I've finally joined a gym and recalibrated my caloric needs.

I've only now discovered a lot of the great information here, including the importance of exercise to maintain lean muscle mass, eating back exercise calories, and actually eating the calories budgeted for you in apps like MFP (until recently, I was using another calorie counter). That said, I've been concerned that I've somehow conditioned my body over the past couple of years to not expect more than 1700ish calories a day, and that if I eat what I'm supposed to, I'll put the pounds back on. Your story helps give me confidence to move forward, and I hope you'll offer any additional insights you might have.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Good post
  • HippieChickadee
    Options
    MFP has me at 1340. I've been doing that for 2 weeks. I looked into the TDEE that you mentioned and it says my BMR is 1340 (same as MFP) but my TDEE is 2010. That's quite a difference. I don't understand any other this :( I feel like every site says something different. I want to do it right and feel good but I'm so afraid of over eating and "ruining" all my hard work.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I came across this post, I have been struggling to only eat 1200 calories, i'm starving!! I was feeling like I was doing something wrong. How do you find out your TDEE? thanks!!

Also, member heybales has some spreadsheets that he created where you can plug numbers and measurements in to find all your stats. It's great and very helpful!

Heybales spreadsheet is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE#gid=14
  • HippieChickadee
    Options

eat 1,200
    burn off 500
    = 700
    +500 eaten
    =1,200

Agreed. Those that log 0 are usually following TDEE -% but some are not. I do see a lot of folks on here that have trouble reaching their calorie goals for the day so I think they just start not eating back their exercise cals. And that begins a slippery downward slope.

So I SHOULD eat back my exercise calories?
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    Everyday on the message boards there is at least one topic about exercise calories and 1200 calories being right or not. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do or not to do but I want to share my story.

When I started back on MFP in May I knew nothing about BMR, TDEE, net calories, starvation mode, etc. and I really didn't care. I knew I wanted to lose weight and get healthy so I plugged my numbers in and was given a number of 1310 by MFP. So I quickly lost 10 pounds and plugged my numbers in again and Walla, 1200 was the magic number, or so I thought.

I quickly lost another 10 pounds. This was over a six week period. I was over the moon happy. But I started to notice some things. First I was reading in the forums about net calories and exercise calories so I looked at mine. I wasn't eating my exercise calories and I put in some huge burns. My net calories were negative more than they were positive. I thought I was doing things right.

But, some other things happened. My hair started falling out, my skin was wrinkling even with 8-10cups of water a day, I was exhausted, my pee was no longer bright yellow from my vitamin, my IBS was out of control, and I stopped losing weight.

So I thought that I'd try increasing to 1500 calories, I couldn't get there because I was "too busy" to eat. Instead I started Zumba. I lost another 4 pounds but still had all these physical symptoms.

I finally messaged someone on MFP who always responded to these 1200 calorie forums non-judgmentally. That changed my way of thinking and I am grateful to this person. I am now eating at my TDEE minus 20%, which is around 2150 calories. I don't make it every day but I also don't eat less than 1800 calories. I do have to supplement with protein shakes. However, I am losing weight at a slow and steady rate, my IBS is under control with food alone, I have boundless energy, my skin looks amazing, my weight fluctuations have gone from 7 pounds to 2 pounds, and most importantly my hair has not only quit falling out but is also growing back.

I just started training with a trainer and dietician. His first comment to me was to quit counting calories altogether. Not going to happen. His second comment, "you're my first female client in months I haven't had to convince to eat more."

This is my story, take it for what it is. Some will agree and some will disagree with what I am doing. I am not telling anyone to change but for those who are frustrated there are other options, that's all I want you to take away from this.

Good luck to everyone in this journey for it is one of the, if not the, toughest battle of your life.

Thank you for this. I too was one of the 1200'ers and not eating exercise calories. I was losing more than 2lbs a week but then binging on the weekend. I too noticed my hair started falling out, I freaked out. I increased my calories to 1500 a few weeks ago and have been doing better. My hair was still falling out (still is) so I increased again. I am at TDEE -20% as well, eating just over 1700 calories. I've only been at the new calories a few days but I have hopes my hair loss will return to normal.

When I first started with MFP I thought I knew best and wouldn't listen. Thought everyone in the forums were jerks. I've grown a lot in the last few months and have a whole new appreciation for the forums!

Great job doing things healthy and here's to your continued success on this difficult journey!
  • 0110Charlotte
    0110Charlotte Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. Could someone help me out?
    MFP suggested 1200 calories/ day to me. (Sedentary lifestyle, I exercise 4-5 times/week moderately, often just light jogging). I usually consume about 1221-1350 calories/day and only burn about 200/day. I have been steadily losing weight (about a pound/week) since May 1st. I feel great but is there something wrong with what I am doing?