Why are tasty and healthy mutually exclusive?

Options

Replies

• jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as an unhealthy food.

I think this is the part where we agree to disagree. It sounds like the word may just have different meanings for each of us, which I understand.

You cinnamon rolls look delicious, by the way. Did you bake them?

They're Pillsbury, and they're covered in ice cream and frosting.

And guess what. They were healthy. Saying they are unhealthy means I did something wrong or bad for my health by eating them, and that's absolutely untrue.

Sounds like my opinion that unhealthy foods exist has caused you some sort of personal offense. It's not meant as an attack on anyone.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The only reason you think that is because people have beat the idea of "healthy" versus "unhealthy" foods into your head.

The two are not mutually exclusive. There is no such thing as inherently healthy or unhealthy food. Even cinnamon rolls covered in ice cream and frosting can be perfectly healthy.

It's your overall diet that's healthy or unhealthy. It's healthy if it contains an appropriate number of calories and nutrients.

This is a popular opinion on MFP. I have to disagree with you. Twinkies are not healthy. When eaten in moderation with a healthy diet, you can still be a pretty healthy person in general though.

Your last sentence is pretty much exactly what he said, but you disagree with him?

"There is no such thing as inherently healthy or unhealthy food. "

That's the part I disagree with. It's just my opinion, of course. What are your thoughts?

There is nothing that is sold as "food" that will kill you if eaten as part of a well-rounded diet. :wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I think this is the part where we agree to disagree. It sounds like the word may just have different meanings for each of us, which I understand.

And guess what. They were healthy. Saying they are unhealthy means I did something wrong or bad for my health by eating them, and that's absolutely untrue.

Sounds like my opinion that unhealthy foods exist has caused you some sort of personal offense. It's not meant as an attack on anyone.

Personal offense? No, you're just wrong. Labeling any individual food as inherently unhealthy literally means it's bad for your health to eat it.

And that's just wrong. Eating a Twinkie or cinnamon roll is not bad for your health.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Personal offense? No, you're just wrong. Labeling any individual food as inherently unhealthy literally means it's bad for your health to eat it.

And that's just wrong. Eating a Twinkie or cinnamon roll is not bad for your health.

Labeling foods as "good" or "bad" can be a symptom of disordered eating as well. So the labels could be seen as "unhealthy," psychologically speaking.
  • jesusHchris
    Options

This type of logic leaves no room for polite debate. Being open minded in a nutrition forum is probably healthy. Something got you here and it wasn't knowing it all.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I finished reading this thread while enjoying my homemade ham & beans soup + jalapeno cornbread for lunch.

That was a damn tasty AND healthy meal.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

This type of logic leaves no room for polite debate. Being open minded in a nutrition forum is probably healthy. Something got you here and it wasn't knowing it all.

Define "unhealthy food."
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Define "unhealthy food."
    I know! I know!

Poisoned food.

Is that the right answer?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    'Healthy' is contextual. Right now I have gestational diabetes and have a cake for breakfast every morning. This cake has loads of fat, clocks it at around 600-700kcal and is within my carb allowance, which makes it healthy for me right now. On the other hand, unless I factor it in, I can't just have a clementine whenever I fancy one (which makes me sad sometimes). I have to explain this to my 5 year old: his healthy and my healthy are not the same.

Then 'tasty' is subjective. Just today my friends son was forced to eat a strawberry while my son munched his way through loads. However, when the chocolate chip cookies came out, the roles were reversed, except that 'I don't need one,' is an acceptable answer to the offer of a cookie, luckily for my son.

So, if your healthy and your tasty don't match up, I'd say that's really unlucky, your labelling of 'healthy' is too strict or your culinary skills suck :laugh:
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Define "unhealthy food."

While I mostly agree with you, I do think foods with trans fats are unhealthy foods because it doesn't take a lot of trans fats to be harmful to your body.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    they aren't- I eat super delicious tasty food that's healthy.

All my veggies are sauteed in bacon grease- fracking delicious. win win.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    602223_555514007812778_661114434_n.jpg

I like this quote.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

I hate this quote. Whoever came up with it has clearly never had chocolate truffles.
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    [/quote]
    Define "unhealthy food."

Food with little to no nutritional value and ingredients known to cause health issues.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It's not fair I want cake and pizza to be as healthy as cauliflower

word

WORD WORD WORD WORD WORD LOl
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    Not always. Cooked cauliflower tastes so good actually.

that is such an oxymoron
  • claudialenz711
    Options
    Right ... after reading all of this ... there's some 90% dark chocolate waiting for me in the fridge. Very Tasty and undoubtably healthy: full of Antioxidants and rather good for my metabolism ;)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Define "unhealthy food."

Since we're arguing semantics anyway…

An unhealthy food would be a food that is not healthy, like a blighted potato or a tomato infested with bugs.

What you MEAN is "unhealthful food" … a food that is good for your health is healthful. A food that isn't would be unhealthful.

Now that I've gotten pedantic, I'm going to step out and let you guys argue about what constitutes an unhealthful food. Have fun!!! :happy:

:drinker:

(note: I'm being lighthearted, not trying to be mean or a grammar freak)
  • mielikkibz
    Options

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

I hate this quote. Whoever came up with it has clearly never had chocolate truffles.

or bacon
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    It's not fair I want cake and pizza to be as healthy as cauliflower

There was a pizza I saw on Pinterest that had a cauliflower crust. One of Paula Deen's, I think. Will have to find the recipe, because now I'm interested. :drinker:

If you think about it, pizza is one of those very few foods with all the food groups: meat, fruits/veggies, dairy, and bread. How many calories depends on how much you eat and what is on it.