Non gym goers, show me your results!

Options

Replies

• mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I really regret not taking "before pics" so current pics won't help much, but everyone who knows me has definitely noticed the difference and are often surprised that I don't go to a gym and do all my workouts at home. It takes more motivation and self control, but it's also easier to fit them in when you have time. I may only have time for a 15 minute workout, which I will do at home, but it would take me twice that just to drive to a gym and back and who's going to do that for a 15-20 minute workout anyway.

Anyway, I suggest going with dumbbells for home based non-gym workouts, which is mostly what I used. They don't take much room and if you're resourceful, you can pick some used ones up cheap from yard sales, second hand stores, or from people who bought nice ones for their New Years resolutions and quit them after a couple weeks. Stay light enough so you won't hurt yourself working our at home without a spotter, but still heavy enough to challenge your muscles for growth and tone. Exercise balls are also not expensive on eBay; just make sure you get a non-burst one.
  • jujunnaichi
    Options
    Main workout program: Body Beast for weight lifting
    Supplementary workout program: Les Mills Combat for cardio (depends on how I feel that day)
    Equipment: A pair of 52.5 Bowflex dumbbells, adjustable weight bench, power tower for pull ups
    10 week result (+1 week of set back) shown below...

aEvhjp4.jpg

LFaTmkW.jpg

eOwfKP5.jpg

lNNhJTv.jpg

LfbJtmK.jpg

oC6RJVj.jpg

z97ot6W.jpg
  • princesselle1
    princesselle1 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    264321_10150347027118206_7164670_n_zps3ce23207.jpg
    Then

IMAG2963_zps7b47c7e8.jpg
    Now

I'm 5"7, 21 years of age.

The first measurements that I took were nearly a year into my journey (But before MFP) I was a Sparkpeople member before joining MFP and have been with this website for just about 2 years now.

"Beginning" (Wish I had taken some in the VERY beginning)
    Bust: 36
    Waist: 37"
    Hips: 41.5"
    Thigh: 23.5"
    Weight: 170

Current:
    Bust: 34 (Boo..)
    Waist: 26
    Hips: 34.5
    Thigh: 20.5
    Weight: 139.6

I have never stepped foot in a gym yet.

Wow you look fantastic! Can I ask how did u get to your goal and what exercise did you do?
  • brahma14
    brahma14 Posts: 37
    Options
    Awesome job!!!!
  • brahma14
    brahma14 Posts: 37
    Options
    I have thought about using p90x but I have had disc fused together in my lower back, What are your thoughts about the impact. doing p90x would have on my back. Any information you can give will be gratefully appreciated
  • JillyBadass
    JillyBadass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use Fitnessblender.com for my at home workouts. They are completely awesome, free, full-length workout videos. Good luck!
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    ... Having a home gym completely eliminated my excuses for not exercising. There's ALWAYS time to go outside for a quick run or upstairs to lift weights. And I don't need to shower or shave my legs or comb my hair first.

^^ This!!! My gym is only 15 mins away but that's an extra 1/2 hour of travel time that I have no interest in adding to my morning routine (I f***ing love sleep).
  • RandyD2012
    RandyD2012 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have thought about using p90x but I have had disc fused together in my lower back, What are your thoughts about the impact. doing p90x would have on my back. Any information you can give will be gratefully appreciated

The plyo work out is brutal on your joints. Until I lost most of my weight and felt better I skipped this one. Other than that it's not bad on your back and knees. I would say try it and do what you can do. You'll see how much more you can do from beginning to the end of the program.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I've had both knees partially replaced and reconstructed. I can't jump more than 1/2" and can't pivot, etc... I was able to modify and do P90X. Plyo was the one that needed the most modification for me. I also didn't do all the yoga moves bc my brain tonsils are in my spine so I have to be cautious of spinal pressure and twisting. Anyways, it's doable just watch the videos first and determine what you're going to attempt and what you wont!
    This is one round of P90X and nothing else:
    tummyafter_zps9b0d963a.jpg
    Bodyfat from 25.5% to 20.1%. Full thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1059018-p90x-results-female-with-bad-knees-4-baby-tummy-pics?page=1
  • Jenner9169
    Jenner9169 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump! Love this thread, I've just quit the gym so this is great inspiration!
  • kleonard42
    kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP in January and have not stepped foot in a gym. I do Zumba at home (using both dvd's and youtube), jillian michaels workouts, tae bo.....everything I do is pretty much a dvd I already had or something I found on youtube. If you go to the pics on my page, you will see my progress....definitely don't need a gym! So far, Ive lost about 25-26 pounds and have about 10-12 to go. Check em out!
  • LadyLuckAJ
    LadyLuckAJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No pics, but I have lost over 80lbs without stepping foot in a gym. I workout at home.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    My success didn't come from going to the gym. I followed my calories set by mfp drank a lot of water started walking then added jogging then at home videos like 30day shred dabbled in p90x Brazil butt lift chalean extreme insanity now focus t25 just got more active with life but most of my weight loss comes from getting my diet under control and it revved up my metabolism
  • kaioken92
    Options
    Didn't go to the gym. Two consecutive rounds of P90X, went from 178 to 148. 5'5" tall, 32 years old.

BEFORE_zps4a427aea.jpg

ABS_zpse9abb67c.jpg
  • shannonpatterson87
    Options
    I have never been to a gym. I have lost 85 lbs so far. I work 40 hours + and I also have three kids from the ages 5 to 1. Just stick with it. It can be done. :) good luck.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Never been to the gym. Just watched what I ate and workout on my elliptical.

First pic is me at 225, second is current me at 196.
    p3jw.jpgr7l3.jpg
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational thread!
  • msdeb424
    msdeb424 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    sit-ups (feet on the wall back on the floor if they are too easy)
    push ups (you got chinese, diamond, clapping, wide and narrow grip)
    flutterkicks and leg lifts
    squats
    lunges
    bicycles
    bear crawls and crab walks
    wall sits
    holding your arms in a T form until you cannot stand it
    calf raises
    jumping jacks and jump rope

Often, we would do circuits of these, were you do sets of 10 down the list, and then repeat the list another 2 times.

Thanks for posting. A great place for me to start! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!