How do you like your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It's also good w/ canned pumpkin and cinnamon at this time of year!!

That sounds AWESOME! How much do you add & what part of cooking?

I usually cook the oats for a minute in the micro, then add 1/4- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin and cook another minute. Sprinkle w/ cinnamon and nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice. It's awesome!

does the pumpkin taste raw or baked when you do that?? i don't want it to turn out to be bitter and have to add a lot of sweetener
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 cup of 1% low fat milk and 1/3 cup of apple sauce.
  • highrise
    highrise Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh I do love talking oatmeal :-) and some of these suggestions sound fantastic!

I soak mine overnight in 150ml semi-skimmed milk, then cook, and add honey and some sort of cold stewed fruit (apples, rhubarb) I keep meaning to add cinnamon but always forget.

I'm intrigued by these chia seeds, so might try to get hold of some of them too.

Over and out, oatmeal fans!
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    With the colder weather coming on soon, it will be time to switch from cold cereal to oatmeal. My question is, how do you like your oatmeal? I cook mine with water, then add 1% milk, 1 tbsp of peanut butter and a banana. I'd like to see what others do with theirs.

Prepared with water in the microwave with a snack size container of cinnamon applesauce added for flavor/sweetening after the oatmeal is cooked..
  • bcsurvivor
    Options
    I like mine very basic, 1/2cup rolled oats, 1cup water, 1teaspoon cinnamon, then microwave while I'm in the shower.
  • clipsychic
    Options
    Tagging for later!
  • DottieTillman
    Options
    The mini apple crisp sounds inviting...Thank You for the suggestion.....!
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    I put 2 tablespoons of oatmeal into my breakfast fruit smoothies. Hardly even taste it to be honest but it keeps hunger locked up till lunch!
  • ppennington
    Options
    I usually thin it down with Silk soy or almond milk and throw in dried cranberries, blueberries or peach or apricot Just Fruit Spread.
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    Oatmeal is one of my faves, but I don't eat it very often. When I do, I like it with milk, butter and sugar so now that I have redirected my eating I will use 1% milk, ICBINB spray and Equal. In fact, I might just have that for breakfast in the morning.
  • goldspaula
    Options
    Cinnamon!! That's what I'm talking about.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oats
    1 scoop whey protein (unflavoured)
    1 tspn natural peanut butter
    1 tbspn honey

Unbelievable
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i love steel cut oats cooked in the crock-pot, leftovers in the fridge for the week.
    i use the called for amount of water and the same amount of soy milk/almond milk (yes, double the liquid that the packaging calls for.
    i add a granny smith apple or two in large pieces/chunks
    cinnamon
    about 2 TBS of sugar in the raw
    molasses, about 1/4 cup +/-

cook overnight. 1st morning its nice and warm, the next mornings i heat the leftovers.
  • JulieC73
    Options
    water, grd flax seed, wheat germ and apple sauce with a protein shake on the side... mmmmm
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of oatmeal...mushy slimy and not so flavorful unless you buy the pre-packaged kind that is full of sugar. So, I thought i'd try to make something that was quick like oatmeal, but way more flavorful and with a better texture....so this is what i came up with and it's very good and very satisfying! Just watch the serving size. The calories can add up pretty quickly if you're not careful. But a little goes a long way to keep you full til lunch

This recipe is in MFP recipe index if you want the calorie count on it

this makes one serving so multiply for however many your feeding.

1/2 c. Country choice, multi grain hot cereal*
    1 tbsp. dried cranberries or raisins
    1 tbsp. toasted, sliced almonds
    2 tsp. sunflower seeds
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 c. water
    1/4 c. non-fat milk
    Splenda to taste
    Bring water to a boil and add all ingredients except milk and splenda. Cook for five minutes then add milk and as much splenda as you like.
    "any whole grain hot cereal will work or old fashioned rolled oats work too...i've just found that this brand has the best texture
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    we have a joke in the house because i will only eat "autonomous oatmeal."

i like my oatmeal rather thick and slightly uncooked, or at minimum not mushy. some might say 'al dente"

then i like (preferably in this order); raisins or cranberries or both if i have them, a curl of butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and a splash of milk, probably about 2tsp.

my oatmeal becomes rather stiff as it cools, so i can cut into it sort of like rice pudding. so with each bite i get a little bit of all the stuff on top without mixing it so i can taste every ingredient individually. that's what i mean about "autonomous oatmeal."
  • kayemme
    Options
    1/2 cup oats
    1 scoop whey protein (unflavoured)
    1 tspn natural peanut butter
    1 tbspn honey

Unbelievable

wow, that sounds great!
  • kayemme
    Options
    I use the instant and add hot coffee instead of water.

unbelievably brilliant! why had i never thought of this?
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Bump loving the ideas I'm making some in the morning!