What is up with wearing clothes that are to small for you?

Options
This may be a bad topic, but just curious. What is up with wearing the clothes that are obviously way to small for a person? I understand the wish to want to be in a smaller size, but doesn't it make more sense to wear the clothes that fit you? I've been noticing that after seeing these people out and about and bragging how they finally got into that smaller pant size, that has given them what I dread more than anything "the dreaded muffin top", has me worrying every time I get dressed and look in the mirror that I'm wearing something that isn't flattering to my figure. Not trying to be judgmental. Just wondering what is up with it and what i can do to avoid it wrecking my attempts at getting back into working out and eating healthy again. ( I"ve fallen off the wagon... again.) I just don't understand why men wanna wear pants that sag halfway down their backside and women wanna wear pants so tight they can barely breath... It makes me sad. There's to much pressure on society today to be perfect and thin.

Replies

• Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Folks wear all different variations of too big, too small, too tight, too loose
    What you see most of depends on the company you keep.

As for the why, personal preference I suppose
    :-)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I wore too-small clothes when I was in denial about my weight gain. I wasn't ready to face that I was fat. Then, I wore stretchy clothes for a while. Finally, I ordered a whole new season's worth of new work clothes in "my size" and when they came literally nothing fit, like they were miniatures. For a hot minute, I considered that they sent me ALL mislabled/missized clothes. Then I realized I needed to get my *kitten* under control and joined MFP.
  • silverburk
    Options
    I wore too-small clothes when I was in denial about my weight gain. I wasn't ready to face that I was fat. Then, I wore stretchy clothes for a while. Finally, I ordered a whole new season's worth of new work clothes in "my size" and when they came literally nothing fit, like they were miniatures. For a hot minute, I considered that they sent me ALL mislabled/missized clothes. Then I realized I needed to get my *kitten* under control and joined MFP.

Some of the people I do know and I don't know if they are in denial that they are fat and I don't even wanna say they are fat, I don't really like that word. I once in a while call myself that, but it's in a self deprecating way. I know I weigh 200 lbs and I've been yo yo - ing back and forth between 200 and 185 for the last .. oh about 6 months. I had lost about 30 lbs and then gained about half of it back if not a little more. But I see this phenomenon more now that it's summer and I wonder what is the big deal in having the smaller pants size. Why not have the pants size that fits and makes your body LOOK GOOD! As opposed to those jeans that dig into your stomach and give you that muffin top and then that super tight shirt to go over it. And I can't explain why, but it gives ME a complex. I personally can't find jeans that fit me right, if they fit my behind they don't fit my waist and if they fit my waist they don't fit my behind very well and then if they fit well at the top they are too long for me. And forget skinny leg jeans can't wear 'em. I can face I'm overweight, guess I just can't get fashion. I miss fall, where I could wear my baggy sweater dresses and everyone else was wearing them, too. I miss the seasons where people's clothes seem to make sense.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Some of the people I do know and I don't know if they are in denial that they are fat and I don't even wanna say they are fat, I don't really like that word. I once in a while call myself that, but it's in a self deprecating way. I know I weigh 200 lbs and I've been yo yo - ing back and forth between 200 and 185 for the last .. oh about 6 months. I had lost about 30 lbs and then gained about half of it back if not a little more. But I see this phenomenon more now that it's summer and I wonder what is the big deal in having the smaller pants size. Why not have the pants size that fits and makes your body LOOK GOOD! As opposed to those jeans that dig into your stomach and give you that muffin top and then that super tight shirt to go over it. And I can't explain why, but it gives ME a complex. I personally can't find jeans that fit me right, if they fit my behind they don't fit my waist and if they fit my waist they don't fit my behind very well and then if they fit well at the top they are too long for me. And forget skinny leg jeans can't wear 'em. I can face I'm overweight, guess I just can't get fashion. I miss fall, where I could wear my baggy sweater dresses and everyone else was wearing them, too. I miss the seasons where people's clothes seem to make sense.

winter-is-coming.gif
  • silverburk
    Options
    I love meme's lol And even though I hate the cold and hate coats and winter kills my fibromyalgia I am looking forward to it.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I see to many women who seem to feel that if they can get those pants zipped (even if it took a crowbar and a can of WD40...) that they fit. Uh...do you even own a mirror? Are your friends and family snickering behind your back? Why are you turning blue? Seriously...cute clothes can be had in all sizes. The size is a meaningless number. Wear clothes that FIT. You'll look great and feel great!
  • madmiya
    madmiya Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Really, it doesn't matter. Fit is a matter of personal preference as much as style. Some people feel sexier in clothing more snug. Some people feel invisible in sizes too large. Some women fluctuate in weight so much it's hard to have many sizes in one closet. Sometimes it's embarrassing to shop for larger sizes. Sometimes it's a matter of time and finance. Try to be sensitive and self-aware. That's the best you can do.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I think some people refuse to buy larger clothes. When they bought the clothes they are wearing, they fit, now, not so much.

i also know people who are in complete denial as to what size they really wear.
  • silverburk
    Options
    I was talking about buying them KNOWING they practically took a crowbar to zipper. I don't understand why, America, Fashion, whatever it is that makes women think they need to wear these impossibly small sizes. Shouldn't bother me and of course I would never say it to their face, I just say if told when they tell me they got into a smaller size. "congrats" even if I think they are crazy...because I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. That would be mean.
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I hate muffin top and wont wear anything that makes me look like I have one. My problem though is that I have gotten into a rut with wearing yoga pants on off days or at my job where I can dress more casual and the problem with that is that you can get bigger and they still fit because it expands.

When it comes to my work wear though, I have noticed how tight they are getting and how much rounder my stomach has been looking, and knowing how I looked in them before is enticing me back into wanting to eat better. I think if people are comfortable with their body than more power to them, but I don't like having a visible belly outline in my clothes and feeling stuffed into things. I did that one day and when I looked at how unflattering it was, it made me think long and hard about what I wanted to achieve.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Often times, women are simply wearing clothes that are the correct size, but a very unflattering style for their body. Apple shapes wearing low rider jeans, for example. Even if you are a size 10 wearing size 10 low riders, your apple body's muffin top is going to be peeking over that waistband. I think some women just see someone else wearing that style that looks really great, and they want to look that great, but come to find out the style was just all wrong for them. They also make skinny jeans up to size 20+ or whatever...but that doesn't stop you from looking bad in them, just because it's the correct size. If you have the right body shape for them, then go for it. But a lot of times, women are buying what they like on the maniquins as opposed to what looks right on their shape.

Now their other women that wear the wrong size...but I see this a lot less than the simply the wrong style.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I hear you, OP. I personally don't care what the tag says. If it fits and makes me look good, I wear it. If I look like an over-stuffed sausage, no way. I have clothing in a couple of different sizes. I wear mostly 6's, but I will buy an 8 if a 6 in a particular brand or style looks or feels too tight, or a 4 if the 6 is too loose. I basically just use size 6 as a starting point. The last thing I want to do is walk around looking like my seams are gonna bust.

Wearing too-small clothes just makes you look like you've put on weight and outgrown your clothing. It's just as bad or worse than baggy clothes to me, because it highlights unattractive features. Just because you CAN squeeze into something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Properly fitted clothes make every shape and size look better. :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Often times, women are simply wearing clothes that are the correct size, but a very unflattering style for their body...

Excellent point! :drinker:
  • silverburk
    Options
    I hear you, OP. I personally don't care what the tag says. If it fits and makes me look good, I wear it. If I look like an over-stuffed sausage, no way. I have clothing in a couple of different sizes. I wear mostly 6's, but I will buy an 8 if a 6 in a particular brand or style looks or feels too tight, or a 4 if the 6 is too loose. I basically just use size 6 as a starting point. The last thing I want to do is walk around looking like my seams are gonna bust.

Wearing too-small clothes just makes you look like you've put on weight and outgrown your clothing. It's just as bad or worse than baggy clothes to me, because it highlights unattractive features. Just because you CAN squeeze into something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Properly fitted clothes make every shape and size look better. :flowerforyou:

Exactly... I think this is what I was trying to get out. I'm talking about people who know they are in the "heavy" category and still buy the clothes in the "much smaller" size and then put out that facebook post "today I finally fit back into a size bla bla bla" and I"m not kidding. I know such a person. but I live in a small town and I'm surrounded by people like this. the back fat hanging out the back of those 'T" or "Y" backed shirts. I was sitting here tonight thinking about it and decided to make a post and get some opinions on it. I thought I might get some backlashing for it though. I'm not asking in any mean way or anything. I don't always dress in the most flattering way for my body but I try not to go out of the house looking like a complete wreck.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    People often think I could have worn a smaller size... Erm...no...
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I see women with pants so tight if they farted the seams would split. I love the ones that weat those paired with a nice tight tank top, so I can see all of their lumps and bumps. Come on people, look in a mirror! I could not agree more!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    Options
    Oh and the posts that say I am 5ft4 weigh 190lbs and wear a size 10. right I am 5ft9 180 and wear a 14
  • poohpoohpeapod
    Options

Exactly... I think this is what I was trying to get out. I'm talking about people who know they are in the "heavy" category and still buy the clothes in the "much smaller" size and then put out that facebook post "today I finally fit back into a size bla bla bla" and I"m not kidding. I know such a person. but I live in a small town and I'm surrounded by people like this. the back fat hanging out the back of those 'T" or "Y" backed shirts. I was sitting here tonight thinking about it and decided to make a post and get some opinions on it. I thought I might get some backlashing for it though. I'm not asking in any mean way or anything. I don't always dress in the most flattering way for my body but I try not to go out of the house looking like a complete wreck.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I sell clothing for a living and see this all the time. Something can be skin tight but there's a quarter of an inch of room in the waist and I'm asked to pull the smaller size.

Generally women buying a size too small are in denial, some believe they are going to lose 5 pounds and some just like the style of something so much they really don't care.
  • silverburk
    Options
    I see women with pants so tight if they farted the seams would split. I love the ones that weat those paired with a nice tight tank top, so I can see all of their lumps and bumps. Come on people, look in a mirror! I could not agree more!

This^^^^^