given up bread?

Options

Replies

• nboks
    nboks Posts: 41
    Options
    I don't know about you guys but i've been eating bread regularly during my first month and my weight keeps on dropping s at an acceptable pace/level.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Such cruelty. Is it hard to say "I disagree"? Have you lost 45 lbs following these principles? Because I have.

In fact, I am doing ATKINS. I'm sure you'll have a field day with that one!! Lol

First of all, I honestly didn't know if you were trolling. I will lay it out simply. The Wheat Belly is another fad diet. It will be forgotten about in 2 years and recycled in 10. It should not be looked at as fact as it is based in junk science and correlations.
    It is possible to lose weight not eating bread or grains or wheat or gluten or whatever you want. I do not feel that it is a sustainable approach for those who do not have health problems that restrict them - but whatever you want to do.
    At the end of the day science says that the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you eat. It's simple, and you do not need to complicate it.
    I have not lost 45 pounds, nor do I want to. My goal on my ticker was an unhealthy weight that I set when I first started. I am now looking to lose another 10 and then start recomposition. It's amazing what you can learn if you are receptive to information on this website.
    All of this aside, I do think that some people might NEED to get rid of foods that they eat compulsively. This, to me, is just like having diabetes. If you can't have just a serving or two of crackers and end up eating a whole sleeve then you should probably stay away from crackers. This is not to say that crackers make you fat. Too much of something makes you fat.
    Atkins seems to be working great for you - congratulations. How it is working is by restricting your calories. Protein and fat is more filling than carbs, so you are hungry less. I think that this is a great approach to try for people who find themselves constantly hungry. It is not the only way to lose fat. The only way to lose fat is to eat a caloric deficit.
    OP came here looking for opinions on things that her dietician told her. She got some honest, informed opinions from people who have done a lot of research on these types of things. She also got people making rules out of the exceptions.
    Sorry that some of us (mostly me in this thread) come off as brash. I will tell you when I am saying something that I am not sure of or have not read at least abstracts about. Anything that is not immediately evident as an opinion or that I do not qualify as an opinion is based in medical research and verifiable fact.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Such cruelty. Is it hard to say "I disagree"? Have you lost 45 lbs following these principles? Because I have.

In fact, I am doing ATKINS. I'm sure you'll have a field day with that one!! Lol

I actually have more respect for Atkins/ketosis diets than giving up wheat.

Not that I would do it.

Or think it's a great idea.

But, at least there's a physiological explanation for it beyond just eliminating food groups to trick yourself in to eating less calories.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    But, at least there's a physiological explanation for it beyond just eliminating food groups to trick yourself in to eating less calories.

As a philosophical question, what is wrong with "eliminating food groups to trick yourself into eating less calories"? Most people who attempt to lose weight have done so multiple times previously, and failed. If something different, even eliminating food groups to trick yourself into eating less calories, works for them -- what's the harm?

There are very few essential nutrients that can't be taken in from alternative sources.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    What's nice about skipping grain is it forces you to think harder about food choices. My snacks now are veggies and hummus instead of chips or crackers. I make banana pancakes (yummy) for breakfast instead of something from a box. Basically, it just seems to translate to healthier eating for me.

Folks with medical issues/intolerances aside, I think this is the key to success if you want to cut down or eliminate grains - replacing them with real foods and thus eating "better." My MIL has celiac and also cannot have dairy and eats tons of crap all the time - mainly highly processed GF products (cookies, crackers, sweetened cereals, frozen meals) and lots of fake dairy and sugar.

So giving up grains or bread might work for you depending on what else you wind up eating in its place. I have done pretty well by just cutting back - one slice of whole wheat toast with my eggs, a lettuce wrap vs. bread on a sandwhich, very small portions of rice, etc.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

As a philosophical question, what is wrong with "eliminating food groups to trick yourself into eating less calories"? Most people who attempt to lose weight have done so multiple times previously, and failed. If something different, even eliminating food groups to trick yourself into eating less calories, works for them -- what's the harm?

There are very few essential nutrients that can't be taken in from alternative sources.

I'm not opposed to it if you make that informed decision for yourself. If wheat is a trigger food for you and you have one dinner roll and then you can't stop from having 10 more, then by all means, stay away from dinner rolls.

What I'm opposed to is the deceptiveness of telling someone else to eliminate wheat and then giving some mumbo-jumbo explanation for why it helps you lose weight, when the reality is that you're eating less calories. Then, using said mumbo-jumbo explanation to write books about how cutting bread leads to weight loss.

I believe everyone has the right to the truthful explanations behind diet tactics and the right to make informed decisions for themselves. It just chaps my britches to line people's pockets for lying to you.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I'm not opposed to it if you make that informed decision for yourself. If wheat is a trigger food for you and you have one dinner roll and then you can't stop from having 10 more, then by all means, stay away from dinner rolls.

What I'm opposed to is the deceptiveness of telling someone else to eliminate wheat and then giving some mumbo-jumbo explanation for why it helps you lose weight, when the reality is that you're eating less calories. Then, using said mumbo-jumbo explanation to write books about how cutting bread leads to weight loss.

I believe everyone has the right to the truthful explanations behind diet tactics and the right to make informed decisions for themselves. It just chaps my britches to line people's pockets for lying to you.

That's fair. While I have some theoretical nits to pick with how we conceptualize the "calories in/calories out" hypothesis (as I detailed in a post earlier in this thread), as far as conclusions go, I fully agree with your last paragraph.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I don't eat that much bread for MYSELF because it tends to make me feel icky if I overdo it. Bread just like anything else in moderation, will not hurt you.

I eat bread maybe once every two weeks. When I do, it's not that much.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I really don't eat much of it anymore. I might have it 1 time a week. I use lettuce to wrap my lunch meat, tomatoes, and what ever I want on it that day. The other day I made murry's chicken sand steaks, made a plate of lettuce, light mayo, onions, peppers, and slice of fat free pepper jack cheese. So really I had a chicken cheese steak, without the bread, and it was really good.:smile: .
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    I have Franz San Juan Island 9 grain bread, at lease 2 slices every day. I am still losing.
  • mirandaeaston
    Options
    Gave up grains the first of the year. Feel great loss 60 so far. What harm can come from trying for 30 days and see how you feel . It starts with food is a good book to read. Also check out the paleo suport pages on mfp . If you give up meat for health your ok but if you say your droping wheat pepole go nuts strange. You just need to find what works for you and your body. Good luck
  • mom2kidds
    mom2kidds Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Interesting info here on wheat.

"From listening to an interview on http://www.itsrainmakingtime.com (Kim Greenhouse) I found out that wheat genes were modified some 40-50 yrs ago and it is not the wheat people used to eat way back then.

Dr. William Davis, the Author of Wheat Belly explained that it now has 10X the yield & a much shorter growing season, making it a super carb making people fatter and fatter….and it causes celiac disease which destroys the intestines….and it can cause rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Hashimoto’s, weight gain, diabetes, Chrone’s disease and colitis etc

The wheat of today was transformed and is no longer edible without high chance of disease: Wheat used to have 28 chromosomes. It now has 42 chromosomes.Glydin protein in this wheat of today, is an appetite stimulant and they put it in everything from soups to desserts….Since hearing this interview, I quit eating any breads, even organic made from wheat of any type including sprouted breads, and breads made from Spelt, Kamut, and other types of wheat. I found that I was “addicted” to it. Once I started eating some, I had 2, 3, 5, 7 pieces….I thought this was weird…..I was never “addicted” to bread before……I noticed that all other products,for example crackers made of buckwheat all contain rice flour which , according to Dr. Davis, raise blood sugar even more than wheat….so I make my own dehydrated vegetable crackers using an almond flour and ground flax seed base plus red/yellow peppers or tomatoes/basil or apple/fennel and they are delicious! ….I am passing on this info to everyone I know. Please do your own investigation and pass this on…."
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Thoughts?
    That you are not seeing a real dietician.

she is a registered dietician w a Bachelor of Science in Food Science

Find someone with a PhD.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

"From listening to an interview on http://www.itsrainmakingtime.com (Kim Greenhouse) I found out that wheat genes were modified some 40-50 yrs ago and it is not the wheat people used to eat way back then.

Dr. William Davis, the Author of Wheat Belly explained that it now has 10X the yield & a much shorter growing season, making it a super carb making people fatter and fatter….and it causes celiac disease which destroys the intestines….and it can cause rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Hashimoto’s, weight gain, diabetes, Chrone’s disease and colitis etc

The wheat of today was transformed and is no longer edible without high chance of disease: Wheat used to have 28 chromosomes. It now has 42 chromosomes.Glydin protein in this wheat of today, is an appetite stimulant and they put it in everything from soups to desserts….Since hearing this interview, I quit eating any breads, even organic made from wheat of any type including sprouted breads, and breads made from Spelt, Kamut, and other types of wheat. I found that I was “addicted” to it. Once I started eating some, I had 2, 3, 5, 7 pieces….I thought this was weird…..I was never “addicted” to bread before……I noticed that all other products,for example crackers made of buckwheat all contain rice flour which , according to Dr. Davis, raise blood sugar even more than wheat….so I make my own dehydrated vegetable crackers using an almond flour and ground flax seed base plus red/yellow peppers or tomatoes/basil nor apple/fennel and they are delicious! ….I am passing on this info to everyone I know. Please do your own investigation and pass this on…."

By my estimations 1 in every 1 people in the US has eaten a significant amount of wheat. By this logic EVERYONE or near everyone would have Celiac disease. In reality, only around 2 million people in the US have celiac disease.... There's around 2 million people in Dallas.
    Obviously the idea that wheat today CAUSES celiac disease is misguided and not founded in scientific research.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

There is the issue that any strict restriction you place on your diet makes you more likely to get fed up with it and give up. This is the basis of yo-yo dieting. This is less of a problem with a short term restriction, obviously. Unless you have a medical or psychological reason to place such a restriction on yourself, you have a better chance of achieving sustainable weight loss and an actual lifestyle change if you keep your diet as flexible and maintainable as possible.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    THOU SHALT NOT TAKE MY BAGELS!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    did give it up for a LONG while BUT found 2 subs that are great. Nature's Own Honey wheat 40 calorie each slice bread. AND My fav is at Walmarts deli.... JOSPEHS Flax and Oat bran lavash bread. (they are just wraps) The large ones are 100 cals per sheet and a serving is one half--I cut them into 4 pieces and use them that way. Makes a great sandwich, salad wrap OR--for movie night I take a whole on and cut it into bite size squares, spray them with olive oil and celery salt and toast them in the oven on both sides until crispy. Then I have a 100 calorie snack for the movies that I love.
  • stealthq
    Options

The wheat of today was transformed and is no longer edible without high chance of disease: Wheat used to have 28 chromosomes. It now has 42 chromosomes.Glydin protein in this wheat of today, is an appetite stimulant and they put it in everything from soups to desserts….Since hearing this interview, I quit eating any breads, even organic made from wheat of any type including sprouted breads, and breads made from Spelt, Kamut, and other types of wheat. I found that I was “addicted” to it. Once I started eating some, I had 2, 3, 5, 7 pieces….I thought this was weird…..I was never “addicted” to bread before……I noticed that all other products,for example crackers made of buckwheat all contain rice flour which , according to Dr. Davis, raise blood sugar even more than wheat….so I make my own dehydrated vegetable crackers using an almond flour and ground flax seed base plus red/yellow peppers or tomatoes/basil or apple/fennel and they are delicious! ….I am passing on this info to everyone I know. Please do your own investigation and pass this on…."

Whoa! Holy wild conjecture, Batman! We do research into lupus, Hashimoto's AND rheumatoid arthritis here (human immunology research and vaccine development center), and I assure you, this is news to all of us!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    this is true-- for SOME people. not everyone is carb sensitive, and not everyone who is carb sensitive reacts to the same carbs.

also, there are breads that are not made with wheat flour.

but also, to a certain extent, eating foods in their whole form will in fact burn more calories. the more your body has to process, the more you will burn. this is technically true, but not a big enough difference to make me stop eating the foods i love.
  • stealthq
    Options

Whoa! Holy wild conjecture, Batman! We do research into lupus, Hashimoto's AND rheumatoid arthritis here - actually, about seven different types of arthritis, of which rheumatoid is one (human immunology research and vaccine development center). I assure you, this is news to all of us! If there were any remotely credible study showing wheat consumption caused any of these diseases, we would know about it.