Children: Why are people having 4+??

Options

Replies

• _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm not married and I don't have children, but my boyfriend and I live in a very populated city where people feel the need to have 5, 6, 7+ kids. These families don't appear to have the means to fiscally be able to meet their children's needs. We are wondering WHY?! Why do people feel the need to procreate beyond 2 or 3 children? I can understand 2 for sure and even 3, 4 seems a little crazy to me, but any more - that's insane and seems so unnecessary!
    Anyone who has reasons for having 4+ kids, please let me know why! And if anyone else has some opinions, I'd love to hear them!
    If you don't like it then pick up your **** and move. I like how you judge people by their children. I can see why you don't have kids. It's because you can't keep your mouth shut long enough to get laid. Nuff said

You don't look young enough to be saying "Nuff said". And I think you're mean and wrong.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    #1 I am fighting the urge to be insulted by the creation of this post. Why do you care how many children anyone chooses to have? Grow up.

#2 I guess it's all just a matter of opinion. I was an only child growing up and to me anything less than 3 would be far too quiet for me ;)
    Personally I have 3 children. I always dreamed of a big family and to me it's a beautiful thing. A large family = more love and more of all the reasons you want a family in the first place. What's wrong with a big faimily? Adding our third was the best decision we made for all of us. It just made our party more fun. That's what life is about. Sharing love and fun and adventures with those you care about.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having several children. Children are ALWAYS a blessing from God. The problems you spoke of are related to the moral decline of our country and the breakdown of the family unit as this country turns it's back of God and Godly values. I don't believe that things will improve until people in our country acknowledge their sinful ways, repent, and put their faith in Jesus Christ as personal savior. Things could be so much better if we lived by God's laws, and not our own.

Please. Make. It. Stop.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't mind being taxed to pay for other people's kids, because I think every adult carries a duty of care towards every child, but I do object to people having vast families if they never intend to work in order to support them.

actually, I think it's a bit selfish and short sighted to have vast families anyway, though I can understand that those whose faith prohibits birth control may find restricting numbers extremely difficult.

it's a small planet of finite and dwindling resources. a couple of years ago there was a global rice shortage, this year fracking is being considered in the uk to meet growing energy demands and the prices are ever rising. i'm more than a little concerned about what the future holds for my two... only an ostrich wouldn't be.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have 5 children. We were told it would be hard for us to ever have children...so each one is a gift to us. I enjoy pregnancy. I enjoy parenting. I enjoy my kids. My "parts" are still in tact. In fact, my husband and I have been married for over 13 years (together for 17) and we still enjoy "relations" with each other. I am even more in love with him now, because he rocks my world as the father of my children.

The system is broken and "some" people do take advantage of it. I would probably qualify for some free money, because my husband is getting his master's in Accounting right now, (so 1 income) but we don't seek it. He was in construction prior to the economy tanking, and we went without for a while. I went back to work to support our family - he went back to school to change careers and raises our kids during the day. We live in a smaller/older home, drive used cars, and buy used or make our own things. We garden. We don't have cable. So maybe we don't "appear" to have "enough" (whatever that means) to someone with more than us. But we live simply...comfortably. And we are HAPPY. We just prioritize our kids over our stuff. I love each of my children as individuals. Each one of them is an amazing person with something special to offer the world. I learn as much from each of them as their mother, as they learn from me. So, I don't think you really CAN understand, OP, because you aren't ME, and you don't have MY children.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    tumblr_luouwj4WTm1qafx5yo1_500.gif

and also THIS ^^^
  • brianc410
    brianc410 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That is an easy question to answer, there working the system. Have more get more money. Simple as that.

OMG! You get money for having a lot of kids? Dang it! We have 5 that we've been supporting ourselves all this time. Please tell me where I apply for this "free money".

Yeah, I missed the boat on that one too. Maybe because I only have two? I want my free money. :explode:

You should look at your tax return... each one is worth $1000 a pop/year. Whoohoo! Free money.
  • acheron03
    Options
    To answer the "Why do you care?" questions.

Overpopulation.

Dwindling natural resources.

Strain on public education.

Strain on healthcare system.

The list goes on and on and on and on.

But that's all I'm saying. I'm positive I'm of the unpopular opinion in this thread.

Interesting you post this I was actually reading an article on how the aging population, specifically in europe and japan, and the decline in the birth rate is now hurting the country because the work force is becoming older and there are less young people to support the elderly.

They say China is going to have a big problem in later years and before they can become a true superpower the country will stall due to the past restrictions on birth and of course the gender discrimination...they will age before there time

oh and restrictive immigration laws...new blood=power

poor people need to have kids. As an econ professor I had said "Poor people are a renewable resource" . As harsh as that sounds it's true. The reason Japan is having problems is b/c no babies = no one to buy stuff.

So hope that answers your question about why people that can't afford kids have kids :smile: .
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options
    LOL at some sort of overpopulation problem seriously people most countries world wide are on a birth rate decline. The old out number the young. This is going to be the true problem in the very near future for the more developed countries. Watch what happens when you no longer have a young workforce supporting the retirees.

This is my theory why the US enjoyed such prosperity during the 80's and 90's the baby boomers were in the prime of their careers. An economic down turn in 2009 seems to have occurred about the same time a large majority of baby boomers exited the work force for early retirement.

:noway:
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    you-want-to-know-what-is-like-having-a-fourth-kid.jpg

J/k I have one daughter that came with the marriage, and I'm working on growing another baby right now. I could totally see 4 total; although one thing at a time, I'll be happy to get to two next year.
  • acheron03
    Options
    Oh, I didn't realize that other people got to decide what or WHO was unnecessary when it has nothing at all to do with them. Wait, they don't!

if that was true anyone could get married

Yeah plenty of ppl decide what others can do. If other people didn't get to decide what others did then:
    Anyone could be married to anyone or anything.
    All drugs are cool if you can afford them.
    No minimum age drink.
    No minimum age to vote.

srsly this list is almost endless
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    My point is understand why and not to criticize anyone.

Because in America a woman has the right to choose. The rest is none of your business.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Since this thread is about to get locked, I figured I would chime in. I have 4 and love it, none of your business how many kids people want to have. They have kids because they love big families or had a few oops. Doesn't matter! The world is not overpopulated, your city may be. You can suggest that they move out of your city.

^this!!!
    And maybe you should look into moving to China? Just a thought!
  • acheron03
    Options
    That is an easy question to answer, there working the system. Have more get more money. Simple as that.

OMG! You get money for having a lot of kids? Dang it! We have 5 that we've been supporting ourselves all this time. Please tell me where I apply for this "free money".

Social Security office I assume. Perhaps the DoFS (division of family services)
  • ChublessBunny
    ChublessBunny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is everyone's business when we're very seriously facing over-population and diminishing natural resources. Further, if these parents don't have the finances and mental capacity to raise their handfuls of children properly, the burden falls to the tax payers.

Ignorance should mind it's own business.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I only have 2 kids myself, but were I able to be a SAHM, I would love to have more! I've always wanted to adopt but circumstances (namely husband) have not made that possible. I kind of feel sorry for my kids not having more family. Neither hubby or I have a close-knit family. I had that growing up, but it all unraveled when my grandparents died. My remaining family is not particularly close anymore and they are all located 700-800 miles away. My husband has some family near by but they are not particularly close either. I worry about my kids should something happen to me and their Dad. Family is often so underappreciated!
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My Wife and I have 5,although they are all grow now, the youngest is 20. After the third we didn't plan on more. The problem was, The pull out method didn't work.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    To answer the "Why do you care?" questions.

Overpopulation.

Dwindling natural resources.

Strain on public education.

Strain on healthcare system.

The list goes on and on and on and on.

But that's all I'm saying. I'm positive I'm of the unpopular opinion in this thread.

Interesting you post this I was actually reading an article on how the aging population, specifically in europe and japan, and the decline in the birth rate is now hurting the country because the work force is becoming older and there are less young people to support the elderly.

They say China is going to have a big problem in later years and before they can become a true superpower the country will stall due to the past restrictions on birth and of course the gender discrimination...they will age before there time

oh and restrictive immigration laws...new blood=power

poor people need to have kids. As an econ professor I had said "Poor people are a renewable resource" . As harsh as that sounds it's true. The reason Japan is having problems is b/c no babies = no one to buy stuff.

So hope that answers your question about why people that can't afford kids have kids :smile: .

And if you think about it the "younger countries" with a large work force population like india and china can offer very cheap labor because they have the human resource...it makes sense.

Shoot if we go way back werent serf peasants encouraged to have children to continue working on the lands of the lords...hmmmmm interesting thought.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you can afford 'em, I don't care how many you pop out.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Had three of my own, married into one...instant family of six.

Why?

Because we WANTED that many.

We wanted another, but due to circumstances beyond my control, that wasn't happening. :(

And what's it to you, anyway? I don't believe my procreation (or lack thereof) is any of YOUR concern.

They've all grown up and gone on to be their own people, and don't seem to be draining anyone's tax dollars...
This discussion has been closed.