How to get a cute butt without squats?? =)

Options

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. Absolutely love MFP and all the great advice I can get. I should also add that I don't plan to elminate squats because I know they are super effective but the reason I asked the question was because it seemed that I was getting more of a burn in my thighs than in my butt. So I guess the real question I should have asked would have been what exercises can I add to my routine that targets the butt. I didn't want to be doing tons of squats and getting great results in my legs and so-so results for my behind. :tongue: Again thanks for all the suggestions!

You may notice it more in your thighs if you arent going down far enough. Make sure you are going AT LEAST parallel so that your glutes and hamstrings are activated more.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hope & Dream.

Find a woman that has one.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    First thing that came to mind from post title...

afa9g7.jpg

Really though, I wouldn't be worried about having too much muscle until you get down to your goal weight. Then you can more accurately determine how much muscle you actually have, how it looks on your frame, and if you have too much and need to stop squatting.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I absolutely have a lot more weight to lose before I know what my butt will look like at my goal weight. As of now I'm not to fond of it. Afraid that it will be flat the more weight I lose. I don't mind doing squats but my thighs are already somewhat muscular and it feels like when I do the squats my thighs are getting the most of the workout. Don't mind working the thighs either but I def don't want to be too muscular in that area. What are some workouts, besides squats, that target the butt?

If you are gaining in your thighs you may not be doing squats with proper form.
    Are you pushing through your heels
    Are you sitting back into the squat?

Getting a cute butt without squat usually only happens if you are genetically born that way or pay for it :) Otherwise its all hard work and constant leg exercises like the infamous squat
  • BurningAway
    Options
    I absolutely have a lot more weight to lose before I know what my butt will look like at my goal weight. As of now I'm not to fond of it. Afraid that it will be flat the more weight I lose. I don't mind doing squats but my thighs are already somewhat muscular and it feels like when I do the squats my thighs are getting the most of the workout. Don't mind working the thighs either but I def don't want to be too muscular in that area. What are some workouts, besides squats, that target the butt?

You want a nice *kitten* but you dont want to be too muscular in that area....just squat just shut up and squat...
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    Deadlifts. They work the glutes and hammies very well. And every other muscle in your body when they get real heavy.

^^^ When he says every other muscle in your body if you lift heavy, that's no joke!! SO worth it though!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're doing some cardio exercises as well so that any muscle definition will be lean muscle.

Can you show me an instance of flabby muscle?

i'll send you a pic of my "befores".

i was quite strong but much "bigger"...since eating less and doing tons of cardio, i have really leaned out all my fat muscle.

So you've reduced your marbling and can no longer be graded as prime?

lol well played

tGXoP4X.gif
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Well, deadlift. It's an amazing exercise that targets pretty much everything on your back end and more. I always feel it in my glutes.

But... squat too. Try keeping the weight more on your heels through the movement (can you point your toes up?) and make sure you're sticking your butt back and down like you are going to sit in a tiny chair. I believe a wider stance targets the hams more than the quads.

And... if you fear becoming "too muscular" go with more weight and a lower rep range. That supposedly prioritizes strength gains over muscle.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Weighted glute bridge is all you need to know.

Yes, I was wondering when someone would mention this. Best exercise to focus the bum that I've tried.

Yep! I do mine with a 30 lb kettlebell.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I support cute butts AND squats! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR JOURNEY!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There isn't a nice, sugar coated way to say this so I'll just say it straight:

You have about a 100lbs to lose. I highly doubt your thighs are as muscular as you think or will be as "bulky" by the time you get anywhere near your goal weight.

Do the weighted squats, deadlifts, lunges, hip thrusts, glute bridges and whatever exercises that may or may not target only/mainly the butt area.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Impossible
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I just want to add......you REALLY shouldn't intentionally work your butt without your legs. Imbalanced strength training is a recipe for injury.

So yeah, squats, deadlifts, and lunges.

ETA....And HOW DID I FORGET MY FAVORITE???

HILL SPRINTS!

What exercises would work your butt without working your legs? :huh:

I should have said quads not legs, that's just a mistype, my bad. I mean focusing entirely on your posterior chain.

Oh ok! I was going down my mental list of glute exercises trying to figure out which ones required no leg muscles. :bigsmile:

I agree with your point...I'm quad dominant (like most non-athletic types seem to start out as) and it's a struggle trying to get myself in balance.
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender has a squat free butt and thigh workout that I've done before when I wanted to give my knees a break. Yoga poses like bridge and reverse plank also work the butt.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Pilates
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Pilates

:indifferent:
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Always be on top = squatting w/out weights.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Twerk?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're doing some cardio exercises as well so that any muscle definition will be lean muscle.

LOL wut

glad someone else caught that too. I saw that and thought... it's Dr Cate again!

I was wondering too. :huh: Do the squats! And deadlifts. And lunges. Also, stepping up onto a sturdy chair will make your butt hurt real good.
  • jbauman712
    Options
    If you are sitting back in your squat and putting the weight in your heels you should feel it in your glutes.
    Other exercises that work the butt:
    -Hip Extensions
    -Lateral Leg Lifts
    -Hip Bridge
    -Donkey Kicks
    -Fire Hydrants
    -Leg Press
    -Reverse Curl with a Stability Ball
    -Lotus/Superman (is primarily a back exercise but also works the glutes)
    -Deadlifts
    -Step ups
    -Back Kicks and Side Kicks
    -Sumo Squat
    -KB Swing