Disease free...FOREVER??? Is this possible?

Options
124»

Replies

• DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    No one lives forever, no one. But with advances in modern science and my high level income, it's not crazy to think I can live to be 245, maybe 300.

Sorry... I couldn't help it.

Heck, I just read in the newspaper that they put a pig heart in some guy from Russia. Do you know what that means? He didn't live. It's just exciting that we're trying things like that.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    My husband grew up in a vegan community, diseases still happened, people still died.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Also,

Buddy_christ.jpg
  • AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Dr. Joel Fuhrman has a few books out that address what you're saying. I know one is Eat to Live and another is Disease Proof Your Child. He doesn't say that you have to be completely vegan (though he is), but he does advocate eating a lot fewer animal products than the average American eats. I read Eat to Live and found it very interesting with a lot of compelling arguments. On the other hand, I found some of his conclusions to be a little far-fetched. Seemed that co-incidence was considered causation, etc. Then again, I didn't read the original studies, but based on how he explained things, I saw some "apples to oranges comparisons".
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I want to be a vegan. That way I can get all those awesome vegan powers. Like glowing hair. And telekinesis. Everyone knows that we only use 10% of our brains because the rest are filled with curds and whey.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Dr. Joel Fuhrman has a few books out that address what you're saying. I know one is Eat to Live and another is Disease Proof Your Child. He doesn't say that you have to be completely vegan (though he is), but he does advocate eating a lot fewer animal products than the average American eats. I read Eat to Live and found it very interesting with a lot of compelling arguments. On the other hand, I found some of his conclusions to be a little far-fetched. Seemed that co-incidence was considered causation, etc. Then again, I didn't read the original studies, but based on how he explained things, I saw some "apples to oranges comparisons".

I have a mental B.S. sensor that frequently lights up when reading 'scientific' nutrition articles. Specifically, it lights up in the absence of the following statement: 'I don't know'. To me, those three words are the first and most important insights into scientific inquiry. They are frequently the first things that go out the window when somebody starts selling something.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

I really like Dr. Fuhrman's approach, which focuses on really upping vegetable and fruit consumption, more so than getting hung up on 'having' to be a vegan or vegetarian :)
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I want to be a vegan. That way I can get all those awesome vegan powers. Like glowing hair. And telekinesis. Everyone knows that we only use 10% of our brains because the rest are filled with curds and whey.
    +7
  • TinyChestnut
    Options
    It is incorrect. You can still get hypertension, diabetes and you can be more prone to being deficient in important nutrients/minerals and vitamins. Vegan isn't really the best way to go- unless you are against eating animal products...then that is different. It isn't a miracle diet