Does anyone have mini-goals within their GOAL?

Options
I'm 19 days in, I've lost 10 pounds and am below 200 lbs for the first time in almost two years. I'm super excited that I've reached my first mini-goal.

It's been 19 days since I've had fast-food, fried foods, desserts, sodas (diet coke was my one and only addiction) and eating reduced-cal/carb meals. Not craving any of it and feeling great!

I broke down my goals into 4 stages:

#0 Start Diet (Weight: 210-215lbs.) - ACHIEVED July/26/2013
#1 Get Below 200lbs. - ACHIEVED (Currently 199 lbs., BMI 32.6, obese) - Aug/14/2013
#2 No longer obese 180lbs. (BMI 29.5, overweight)
#3 No longer overweight 150lbs. (BMI 24.6, normal)
#4 Goal Weight 120lbs. (BMI 19.7, normal) READY FOR BABY MAKING!!!

I've been in the 205-215 range for about 2 years, I'm so happy!!!
I'm starting to wear clothes that haven't fit me for a couple of years!!!

Anyone else doing mini-goals?

Replies

• HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yep, some of them are listed on my profile.

I have :
    - weight goals (GW1 : 165lbs, GW2 : 160lbs, GW3 : 154lbs (the number is odd, I know), etc.);
    - bf% goals (I celebrate with a victory dance each point of percentage lost);
    - cardio fitness goals (being able to run 5k, then being able to run 5k under 30, being able to run for an hour, etc.);
    - weight lifting goals (being able to bench press ¼ of my bodyweight, then ½, etc. and same for other lifts);
    - mental goals (being able to know when I'm bored and when I'm hungry, being able to distinguish when I'm satisfied and when I'm full, etc.).

I just want something to celebrate at least once a week, so it makes the whole process a lot more enjoyable. :D
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Yep, I count every ten pounds as a mini-goal (and reward myself appropriately), but I also have no longer obese and no longer overweight as goals too. (:
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I simply goal myself in 5 pound increments. My goal right now is to get to 170. When I get there, My next goal will be 165. Etc, etc.

But what I keep saying to myself on a daily basis is "The only pound that counts is the next one.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes...

GW#1 below 250 lbs.
    GW#2 below 200 lbs.
    GW#3 below 175 lbs.
    GW#4 160 lbs.

Who knows? May have a GW#5 after I get there.
  • fkim13
    fkim13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes. I dont need to loose heaps of weight but I have an under active thyroid and find even looseing a couple of pound really hard. I have never calorie counted before so my first mini goal was to get to 9st 7lb. now my second is to get to 9st 5lb as usually once i get to 9st 7lb I just cant get below it. So for me every 2lb will be my new goal. My last goal is to get into a pair of size 10 jeans UK size.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! And I reward myself along the way. I started at nearly 300lbs and rewarded myself with books for my kindle or work out songs from Amazon, then a pool membership, workout clothes etc for each 5 or 10lbs. My first big milestone was 217= no longer obese, then "Onederland". The next big one is 177= healthy weight. At my goal, 150ish, I want to have a Biggest Loser-style makeover day, new hair, makeup, sexy clothes and have some great "after" pics taken.
  • Junie2013
    Options
    Yes! My total amount to lose is really big, so I am taking it 10lbs at a time. Then I have some of the same mini goals as a lot of people. Under 200, then no longer obese. I have a few items of clothing that I would like to fit back into, like some little black dresses. Minimum goal is to be able to shop in regular size clothing stores. Ultimate goal would be to wear a 2 piece bathing suit. Not necessarily a bikini, but the kind that is like little running shorts and a halter sport top.
  • backtp
    backtp Posts: 23
    Options
    also i buy myself something on mini goals to keep me going
    got a fitbit @15 lbs
    new shoes @25 lbs (no longer obese - went to overweight)

next target - dumbells at home @35 ,8 more lbs to go
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Yup- at 100 miles I'm buying myself a great new pair of sneakers (1/2 way there).
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I like the 100 mile goal, i hadn't thought of exercise goals, but that is a great idea.

The mini goal I was going to mention is the one on my ticker. From start to finish (not set an end goal just a rough idea of what weight that will be) my total goal will be circa 300lbs, i have lost 116 and my next interim target is my ticker of 62lb to get me to a weight I feel psychologically more comfortable with than what i did and do weigh now.

It is the only way, for me, to keep things even remotely possible. If i said to myself right i have 300lb to lose...wow, the enormity of that task, i wouldn't even contemplate starting it, but just digging away at smaller more manageable targets make everything seem much more possible, and of course, those smaller targets soon add up.

I am also using a reward programme. When i hit 62lb I am going on my first wildcamping trip... not fit enough yet as it would be awesome exercise, but it all helps to keep you motivated AND to reward your good efforts for the successes you have had, which is equally important to recognise.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    My mini goals are Onderland (achieved), then no longer obese (190)...and then how much I weighed the last time a guy hit on me (180). hah!

I'll need some min-goals between 180 and 140 but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Probably just go with the "every 10" thing.
  • ajominy
    ajominy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!! I didn’t set a goal weight in the beginning; instead I focused on hitting smaller goals like look and feel better, make exercise easier and less painful, certain clothing sizes and manageable weight loss goals. This helped me keep things in perspective. I didn’t want to set myself up for failure and keep looking at a big number in weight loss. As I hit a goal, I set another one and worked towards that. Before I knew it, I would hit that goal and need to set another one. I would reward myself for hitting the goals, by buying outfits, shoes, and for the 100 lb mark I splurged on my 1st ever spa day for my sister and I (boy was I motivated to hit that goal!). I now have 19 lbs to my final goal and I'm planning on rewarding myself with a weekend get-a-way.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have so many mini-goals! I currently weigh 180lbs. My long-term goal is to be at 170 by Christmas and 160 by late May. That's a half pound a week. I almost always lose more than that per week but this gives me leeway in the long-term for weeks where I don't lose or weeks where I actually gain because I fall off the wagon or don't exercise. I've met every weekly goal I've set since I started.

I also try to meet me macros, though I think I need to learn more about them. I find it very hard to stay under my protein goal and I'm always way under in sodium.

I look at every day as a mini-challenge when it comes to calorie counting and avoiding problem foods. That way I can feel good about meeting a mini-goal almost every day!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    yes I have monthly goals...and then 10lb goals
  • Shleesme87
    Options
    Congrats btw! The first ten and the last ten are always the most exciting for me.
    I set mini goals based on 10 pound increments.
    Ill also be so excited when my weight gets into the healthy weight range.
    I'm 5'7 and getting into the health weight range will be at 159 pounds. I have 9 pounds to go! Then my ultimate goal is between 130-135
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've loved reading about all of your mini-goals, I think I'll add some of them to mine as well. It's really motivating to see how everybody tackles this in their own way!
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    and then how much I weighed the last time a guy hit on me (180). hah!

Well hello there gorgeous :flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Couldn't do it any other way. My ultimate goal is 30 pounds, but I'm attacking it in 3-4 pound per month increments.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I do for sure I do. I popped them in my blog this year when I started mfp. I have a lot of weight to use so it is baby steps for me!
    (My profile says 2011. Please ignore this as I was only on here for about a week when the Christchurch/NZ Feb quake hit, and did nothing further due to circumstance).

My first goal is the biggest, getting down to 100kg, then it will go down in increments of ten until I hit the final goal:)
    I am a very big lady and have lost 16kg in 9 weeks so far. I am using the TDEE method and a fitbit one.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I always have milestones that are -just- out of reach all the time; they're the steps to my end goal.