Ladies, have any of you bought/owned "goal" clothes?

Options
1235»

Replies

• daisypatchgirl
    daisypatchgirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Last week I bought a souvenir sweatshirt while on vacation. I bought a size down from what fits me now. I am confident that the weight is going to come off and stay off this time, so hope to be wearing it in a few weeks! I have a lot more weight to use, and hope the sweatshirt will actually be too big for me before long. Even once the top becomes baggy, it can be one of those comfy cozy sweatshirts us gals like to have. Buying smaller, and feeling empowered to wear the top is a wonderful feeling!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    All the time!
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I've a pair of size 10 jeans that I WILL fit one day, as well as a dress that's a medium. The large fit, but was a bit snug, so I got the medium so I could wear it next spring.
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought anything specifically in anticipation of losing weight, but I most certainly have half a closet that I currently CAN"T wear! It sucks when you only have two pairs of pants that you like :( A lot of extra laundry!

There is one dress that was tight even when I was at my smallest, AND it was super expensive from a little boutique, I think that might be my official "goal" clothing item. If I can fit in that without wanting to die for lack of breath then I will definitely be where I need to be! It's still hanging in my closet but maybe I should pin it up somewhere like some of you other gals have done! I know that I can do this, I've done it before (and even kept it off completely for 2 whole years until I got pregnant with my second child). Then lost all of it AGAIN after the birth. Then I broke my ankle and went on a food bender combined with lack of exercise :( Luckily I don't have 40+ pounds to lose this time, just 15 to 20. Much more manageable.

Keep up the good work ladies we can DO THIS!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    No, and it was a practical thing for me. I couldn't fathom buying clothes that I knew I wouldn't be able to wear for a long time.

But, having lost a crap ton of weight myself, I think it's a bad idea for women who have a lot of weight to lose for 2 reasons:

1. How you imagine something will look on you 50 lbs from now is not necessarily how it will actually look on you 50 lbs from now. The shape of your body is going to change.

2. Your clothing preferences will probably change as your body changes. The way I dress now is totally different than how I dressed when I was fat, so it's unlikely that anything I bought back then would still be appealing to me.

If you're doing it strictly as a motivational tool, then whatever floats your boat. But I think it's unwise to spend any significant amount of money on "goal" clothes with the intention of actually wearing them.
  • MommyLouLous
    MommyLouLous Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My mom made a pretty dress for me to wear at my wedding rehearsal. It was a little snug when I wore it then, and it's impossible to zip up now, so my first little goal is to wear that dress again.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of goal pants, and now I'm two sizes smaller than them. I also made sure to get rid of my bigger clothes when they no longer fit. It freed up my closet and made it so I didn't have something to get right back into if I gained weight, so I'd be totally aware of myself slipping/
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No, but I do have clothes I would like to get BACK into.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what size my wife is, but I make it a point to always buy her size 0 dresses for birthdays and Christmas. I know she can't fit into them, but I figure this is a good way to let her knowing silently that I support her weight loss journey.
    Cheers, god bless! :flowerforyou:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No, but I do have clothes I would like to get BACK into.

This.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I bought a beautiful summer suit as a reward for doing well, I didn't look at the sizes properly and it arrived two sizes too small. I am soooo close to being able to fit into that suit. It has now become my goal. Once I fit into it I will be happy with my size.

We CAN do this ladies. :-)
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I was in a second hand store and saw THE cutest blouse. I tried it on and it was a little tight, but I bought it anyway, because I knew I might not have a shot at it later. Definitely a goal shirt. I can't wait to wear it. :)
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what size my wife is, but I make it a point to always buy her size 0 dresses for birthdays and Christmas. I know she can't fit into them, but I figure this is a good way to let her knowing silently that I support her weight loss journey.
    Cheers, god bless! :flowerforyou:

If your wife likes this kudos to her and to you for being supportive in her journey! I would get mildly offended if my hubby kept purposely buying me size 0 dresses, knowing that they wouldn't fit me in ages... It's one thing for me to do it, I just don't think I'd enjoy it if my husband did it for me, I'd feel pressured... I dunno, that's just me.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I've a pair of size 10 jeans that I WILL fit one day, as well as a dress that's a medium. The large fit, but was a bit snug, so I got the medium so I could wear it next spring.

Actually, I just tried it on and it now fits like the large did when I tried it on! That's right, I can actually put the dress on!! :D It would be wearable with a sweater right now, but I think I'll wait another couple of months to wear it so it won't be so snug. Maybe I'll use it in a Halloween costume.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've actually started carefully selecting things from my skinnIER pile (not the skinny pile) and happily, they have fit me! It's a great feeling!