I need opinions on my ideal size (Judge Away!!)

Options
13»

Replies

• LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You are a beautiful person, I think you look great. I would trade you bodies any day!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I started MFP at 160lbs, and I'm 5'10" tall. Obviously, I'd say you could stand to lose some fat and gain some muscle.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Honestly you look good so no insult but I definitely think you could drop some more body fat in the thigh area and perhaps the midsection. Try doing some lifting and mix in some cardio. I don't know where you should be "weight wise" but everyone could benefit from some strength training. :)
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Thinking about it in terms of percent body fat, since you are the top of the "healthy" BMI range, you are probably at the top of the average %bf range too, or about 30% (may not be accurate - I'd say based on your profile pic, it may be a bit lower? - but I'll use it just to play with the figures).

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg

165 *.3 = 50 lb fat.

164 - 50 lb = 115 lb lean body mass

A 20 lb loss of fat (while maintaining lean body mass) would put you at 115 + 30 = 145 lb. This would leave you at about 21 % body fat.

10 lb fat loss would put you at 155 lb, with 26% body fat.

For comparison:

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

I'm not going to say where you *should* be - where you want to be will depend on how you look/feel. But I am assuming that you feel right now as if you could stand to lose some fat, so I'm just trying to give you another way of thinking about it.

So try to drop some fat and then reassess when you hit that first goal. Eat a bit more if the look is too lean for you!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    What richardheath said. You're certainly not fat but you do have room to lower your body fat % either through weight loss or muscle gains. It just depends on what you want to look like!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow.

I agree to shoot for a bodyfat % range that you find both comfortable ans aesthetically pleasing.
  • shelbelw
    shelbelw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    People's bodies are definitely different from each other's! I, too, am 5'9", but my goal weight is 165. At age 25 (when I last weighed 165), my measurements were 38-32-40 and I wore a size 14. I have a picture in my profile of me in a half shirt at that time. I can't imagine myself weighing 165 and being a size 8. The people who discount "big bones" may need to think again.

But I think you look great, just need to tone up a little. I'd love to look like you right now. :)
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    At 5' 10" my measurements are close to you at 36-30-40. My weight is pretty steady at 150 (a few pounds flex either way) and I'm damn happy with how I look (and feel).

For reference take a look at the website "My Body Gallery", it's always good to see the myriad of shapes that come with being a particular height and weight.

Here's the site: http://www.mybodygallery.com/

And as a tall chick, I say be proud of being tall, I love it.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm about to judge and this is me being brutally honest, from what I can see anyway. Your ideal size in my opinion is your current size, you look great and healthy.
    ^this...

(if you want to lose a couple of vanity pounds, absolutely, no lower than 150.

PLEASE eat healthily! Stay strong and remember your body is a vehicle to get through life... no trade ins...
    You look awesome are in a healthy weight range, so don't jeopardize what you have for an arbitrary image. )
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. We're actually pretty similar. I'm also 5'9" and a curvy shape. But I weigh 10 pounds more than you. My first goal is 160, then I will reconsider my weight.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Use this calculator to determine your "ideal" body weight based on your desired body fat %.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I did a double take at your profile photo because I have one of me 10 years ago that looking almost exactly the same. I am 5'8" and the only difference in our measurements is an inch in the hips (39" for me). I don't have much of a booty but I have thighs. I am 150 right now. I would like to lose a little weight but really, if the scale stays the same but I can tone up my thighs I will be happy.

Like a few other members have said, we should embrace our curves. And as evidenced by many of the male replies, curvy is a good thing. Seeing your picture has actually made me think again about how I feel about my lower half. You look amazing so if we are about the same size maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself. We are always our own worst critics. Just maintain an overall healthy diet and start working a little with weights. Keep those curves and think of the benefits of having strong legs.
  • eej23
    eej23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think you look great!

But if you want to get a little bit smaller, size wise, I would suggest toning up rather then losing lbs. I bet if you just lift, eat healthy, LOTS of protein and veges and work out for 1 month. You will be toned and will drop the size.

My cousin was anorexic most her life. She finally got help and gained a little more weight.. Though she was constantly in the unhealthy underweight to healthy rage and the reason for this, is she was felling fat because of her little flabby bits. She did not exercise and ate nothing but junk food. I convinced her to do the 30 day shred and eat as "cleanly" as she could for 2 weeks and I can see her abs now!

She gained 8lbs-10lbs and is smack bang center of the healthy range and she's sitting at 9-11% body fat.

Exercise and healthy eating can do ALOT to your measurements. I have my 30day shred pics somewhere on the forums and the number one thing I was happy about was how many inches I dropped (I am overweight though haha) A lot of people said I didn't look the weight I was and i'm going to say that's probably because of how much muscle I have. =/

Hope that helped in some way. But I really do think you have a great body shape. I love curves!

Good luck with your journey!!

This for sure. You look great, but I think toning rather than losing lbs would do you wonders!!! Weight weights weights!!!! I saw a HUGE change in my physique when i started strength training vs just mainly cardio!
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    just another drop in the bucket of replies... but honestly, you're hot.

ok, done being crass. If you aren't happy with how you look, then you've already gotten some great advice on how to improve. If you want to be a fitness model, then go make yourself into one. I personally find your body type much more attractive than the "skinny" or the "built" looks. I imagine if you spent time focusing on glute and thigh workouts and dropped maybe 5% body fat, you'd be really happy with the way you look.

I'm 6'6" and at my thinnest (when I was your age) I weighed 215 lbs with a 34" waist. I was in /fantastic/ shape, but some people would see those 215lb and 34" waist numbers and think I was overweight. Just like now, at 300 lbs and a 40" waist, while I definitely have more work to do I'm not a huge fatass. What?!? 300 lbs? I must be a 4XL and dragging my enormous gut in a wheelbarrow, right? nope. Don't worry about that number. Many people just don't understand what a particular weight looks like on a taller frame. be healthy and do what makes you feel good about yourself.
This discussion has been closed.