Creepy guy at the Gym

Options

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    My definition of creepy is crossing boundaries, either explicitly stated ones, such as if you ask him to leave you alone and he doesn't, or generally understood social boundaries, such as approaching a stranger and making a sexual comment. If all he did was introduce himself, I don't think that's creepy. If him using the machine next to you makes you uncomfortable, move to a different one. If he then follows you, then he's starting to cross the line into creepy.

(Edit was to fix a typo)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't get this at all.

A guy speaks to you, asking you about running, which you were doing previously to him speaking to you and you think he is being creepy???

Seriously, why is it that when a bloke speaks to a female he does not know, he is being considered "creepy" or "strange"l I have even seen somebody suggest on these forums a while back in a similar circumstance (guy talking to a female in the gym whom he didn't know) to be maced!!!! It borders on the absolute ridiculous and insane and I am beginning to wonder just who really is the "strange" one in some of these circumstances!

I mean, what the hell is this?

Look OP, if somebody speaks to you, answer them and go on with your business, there is nothing creepy about one adult speaking to another at all, it is merely human interaction.

If you don't want to speak to him in future, be short and sweet with all answers, he will get the message in the end.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I need to get on the good side of the God. I know what to do. I shouldn’t, but I must. Its for the greater glory of my weight. I must conquer the creepy bro at the gym.

We know this bro. He’s the one that spends 2 hours doing nothing but checking out the girls and working his upper body. And anytime a girl makes the mistake of looking in his general direction, he walks up to them. Creeping them. I must make the sacrifice of creeping the creeper. It must be done. When he walks up to the girl, I grab the weights he’s been lifting and sweating over and start licking them and start rubbing his Olympic bar between my thighs and making eye contact with him. I do it until he leaves the poor girl alone. Small sacrifice to make the weigh scale God happy.

Now this was taken from one of taunto's threads...creep the creeper I say FTW.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    pfft trolls be trolling
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It honestly doesn't sound like this guy was creepy at all. To me, it sounds like you are extremely self conscious and can't handle someone bothering to look in your direction. In that case, run outside in the rain.

I have to agree with this. OP...you commented that everyone 'turned their head' when he started talking to you? Maybe everyone else is creepy too if they have to turn their heads whenever people are talking in the gym or approach someone else.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You were running, he asked you about running, maybe he appreciated the speed you were going, your technique, or how you found it so easy. or maybe he wanted to ask you out cause he liked you and thinks you are single? he could be doing a sponsored run/half maraton/full marathon and wanting tips.

Creepy is when someone takes his breaks while you are working out, looking down your top while squating and deadlifting, then looking at your *kitten* in the mirror at the same time (then he goes red when is caught on! but that ended up funny)

You could of atleast talked to him about running, since you obviously dont know the motive he had to talk to you in the first place if you thought he was creeping.

It would be bad if he was a shy guy, that just had his confidence crushed though.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    OK I've read about 10 responses, and I'm bored already. Are you a little girl? Or are you a grown woman? Because if it's the latter, you don;t need to bring a friend or boyfriend for "protection." Just tell the guy you're there to work out and don't want any socializing. Period. If he creeps next to you, move to another treadmill. If he continues, then you've got a true creeper. Then you talk to management. But right now, he's a friendly guy. This gym could possibly be one of these with a rep for hook ups. Make it clear you're not there for that, and the dude will go away.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I do think it's a little strange that he had the courage to talk to you once, but now, in your eyes, follows you around without saying a word. I can see how that might been seen as "creepy." But, even if the guy is shy and/or his intentions are innocent, that doesn't take away your right to feel the way you feel about the situation. Don't listen to other posters who dismiss your discomfort, you are allowed to feel uncomfortable in any situation that you feel uncomfortable in. I have a friend with severe social anxiety, I would never tell her she shouldn't feel uncomfortable in a crowd because the situation is "innocent," if she feels uncomfortable, that is how she feels and we try to avoid those situations. That being said, the first thing you should do is just try to remove yourself from the situation, either by moving to another treadmill or by telling him that he is making you uncomfortable. He may just apologize for the misunderstanding and explain himself or get out of your way. If he continues to follow you around after you have made it clear you are uncomfortable, then it is okay to speak with management as he is clearly violating the boundaries you set.

Personally: This happened to me surprisingly often in the US. There was one guy who came in one day, got on the treadmill next to me and said "hey" and did one of those head nods toward me with some sort of weird face (I think he was trying to make some sort of "suave/cool" head nod at me, but it came off in a super awkward, kind of funny way). I just nodded and went on with my workout, ignoring him. He started to do the same thing every day (with the awkward nod and everything), even when all the other treadmills were empty (and the gym had about 20 treadmills all along the wall so there were plenty of spaces). I mostly just ignored him until one day he came in reeking of cologne, so much so that I couldn't breathe. Just as he was jumping on the treadmill next to me to say "hey" I had to jump off and move to the end of the row of 20 treadmills just to get away from the smell so I could breathe. He got the picture, and even though I was obviously not interested, I felt a little bad. I wanted my space, of course, but I didn't dislike him so much that I needed to move 20 treadmills away, it was just to escape his cologne!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Honestly doesn't sound like he's crossed the "creepy" threshold just yet. Next time he takes the treadmill next to you move. He might get the hint just from that.

Yeah, this.

You may want to consider that in fact he is just being friendly.

Not every man expects he will have sex with every single woman he talks to during his day. I know, its hard to believe but true.

Telling management would be a spineless, douche-bag move.

Part of me sympathizes with you, and the male part of me is slightly annoyed that members of the opposite sex paying attention to you is a "problem" at the gym. Must be nice....

"You know this one time this woman at the gym kept looking at me and tried talking to me. What a creeper." It sounds just weird. Double standards man. Double standards.
    I think staring at her all the time and constantly taking the treadmill next to her has crossed the line to creepy. She hasn't expressed any interest in him, yet he keeps doing those things.

That isn't "paying attention" to her. That's borderline stalking. It IS creepy.

Imagine yourself in this situation with a woman. She's not particularly attractive to you and you have been polite but cold, yet she follows you everywhere and stares at you constantly. You'd be flattered by that?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ok so... help me out, what is a good approach?

You're hot, I'm digging it, we're at the gym. What would at least not cause you to immediately go home and blog/forum post about my creepiness.

I've always been curious at that.

She would have to be in to you. And perhaps hoping that you would say something to her. You would approach her in exactly the same way, but in one instance the police should be called and in the other you get the digits. All you have to do is read minds. Or look like a movie star.

The flip side is that if she's hoping you approach her but you don't she's going to come on the forums and accuse you of being gay
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    Ask him in front of everyone to please stop staring at you it is making your workouts not nice. Be sure to say BEFORE you ask him this that you know he is going to deny that he has been staring at you but you want to ask this of him anyway. If he insists on denying it then don't bother calling him a liar but say ok whatever but please stop staring at me I have as much right to be here as anyone else. Please don't make me have to make a formal complaint about intimidation.

Having been a woman that men stared at constantly up until a few years ago, I had to deal with this **** from the age of 11 to the age of early 40's. I'm so glad to be not stared at anymore it was super annoying and oh so NOT FLATTERING at all.

Don't be afraid to look like you are not a nice person, you have the right to work out without feeling uncomfortable.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    You were running, he asked you about running, maybe he appreciated the speed you were going, your technique, or how you found it so easy. or maybe he wanted to ask you out cause he liked you and thinks you are single? he could be doing a sponsored run/half maraton/full marathon and wanting tips.

Creepy is when someone takes his breaks while you are working out, looking down your top while squating and deadlifting, then looking at your *kitten* in the mirror at the same time (then he goes red when is caught on! but that ended up funny)

You could of atleast talked to him about running, since you obviously dont know the motive he had to talk to you in the first place if you thought he was creeping.

It would be bad if he was a shy guy, that just had his confidence crushed though.

She's not responsible for his confidence. Chances are her intuition is spot on. If she felt he was creepy then he was creepy.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Creepy is when someone takes his breaks while you are working out, looking down your top while squating and deadlifting, then looking at your *kitten* in the mirror at the same time

That's the definition of creepy, then? Nothing else can be creepy?

Women need to trust their instincts. If they're feeling creeped, they're probably being creeped. I suspect there would be fewer sexual assaults if women trusted their instincts and stopped worrying about being polite to men who can't take a hint.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    On a serious note, because it has happened to me... just be honest with him and tell him it is creeping you out and you don't appreciate it. I'm always upfront and honest, and when I said that, the guy left me alone. If he doesn't then report him....especially if you have talked to him about it and told him you liked your personal space. Seems kinda simple if you are the type of person that doesn't mind confronting her/his problems upfront. Personally that is the best way to be.

THIS!
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're extremely self conscious. "Everyone" turned their head? really now?

A man talking to a woman he doesn't know about an activity she was specifically doing is considered creepy now? Its not like he asked you what you wore in bed last night.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I suspect there would be fewer sexual assaults if women trusted their instincts and stopped worrying about being polite to men who can't take a hint.

No. There would be fewer sexual assaults if sexual assaulters quit sexually assaulting.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I suspect there would be fewer sexual assaults if women trusted their instincts and stopped worrying about being polite to men who can't take a hint.

No. There would be fewer sexual assaults if sexual assaulters quit sexually assaulting.
    *sigh*

Yes, the way to not be a victim is to expect that by telling bad people not to do bad things will stop them from donig bad things.

As I'm walking down a dark alley alone one night and a rapist jumps out, I'll just say, "Hey, don't do that. It's mean." I'm sure that will work.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Give him your #
  • MerinneW
    MerinneW Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A lot of pretty harsh responses to this post! OK, I think the OP is overreacting. Talking to someone about an obvious interest is not creepy per se. However, it is difficult for the OP (who, for whatever reason, does NOT want to talk to this man, as is her right) to just tell him so - there is a wealth of social pressure brought to bear on women to 'be nice' - that is, to be passive, receptive, and accomodating. Even one of the comments above suggests that she 'entertain his conversation' when she has made it clear she does not want to - would you tell a man he has to 'entertain the conversation' of some bore who starts talking to him at the gym? Or is it only women who have to diplomatically negotiate unwanted approaches from men so as not the hurt their feelings?

It is difficult to fight all that conditioning and just turn around and say "I'm sorry, but I don't want to talk to you, please don't talk to me again", or to ostentatiously move machines when he come over to her. It is hard to do this, as the guy and other people will think you are "a *****", or God forbid, "full of yourself" - something we have trained out of us from little girls upwards, never to be 'vain' or arrogant (read, have a good opinion of ourselves). To say that you're 'not interested' implies that you think that they Are interested - in you! Arrogant! Full of yourself! *****!

Personally, I think the gym is a weird place to approach a stranger. They're there to work out, not to make friends or dispense advice - that's what the trainers are paid to do. I once had someone approach me in a swimming pool(!) at university; after a circuitous, awkward, floating, nearly naked conversation, he asks for a date - I politely refused and asked him to let me get on with my swim. This guy ended up mildly stalking me for the rest of my time at university - coming to the pub I worked in every week, getting drunk and seizing my hand across the bar and going on and on about how much he liked me, trying to give me mix CDs and gifts, getting offended and weepy when I refused to let him buy me drinks (didn't want to encourage him you see).

It's not vanity or paranoia that makes women go automatically on the defensive; it's not wanting to give, or be seen to have given, 'mixed messages' - think of that obnoxious Blurred Lines song. A concerning number of men think that they 'know you want it' when actually you're just being polite; and then when you are forced to make it explicit that you do not, you either get abuse and denials - "like I'd touch you with a bargepole, you ugly *****" - or sulking because you 'led him on' (i.e. gave him the time of day).

Personally, these days, I make it clear, polite and explicit from the outset - "I'm sorry, I'm busy"; "I'm sorry, I don't want to talk to you / get a drink with you / go out with you"; I would never say "I'm sorry, I have a boyfriend" (even though I do) because to some men, this is seen as a 'challenge' rather than an insurmountable obstacle.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Go in at a different time of day