KFC is my problem!!

Options
13»

Replies

• JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    This is supposed to taste like KFC so I'm told. Never tried it myself. Was given it the other day by my sister.

KFC ORIGINAL SECRET CHICKEN RECIPE
    12 Herbs and spices.

Ingredients
    1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
    3 beaten eggs
    4 tablespoons oil

For the coating

2 cups flour
    4 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (or chicken stock powder)
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon tarragon
    1 teaspoon parsley
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1 teaspoon chives
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon celery salt

Directions:

Sift flour and add together all the coating ingredients and grind finely with a mortar and pestle and place in a clean plastic bag. Coat each chicken piece first with the beaten egg, then with the flour mixture in the bag. Make sure you coat each piece completely with the flour.

Heat the oil in a skillet. Brown the chicken in oil slowly, uncovered. Once browned, cover the skillet and keeping frying on a very gentle heat until the chicken is fully cooked. Place on paper towels to drain out the excess oil.
  • wildheart_cowgirl
    Options
    Moderation is key! If you completely deprive yourself you will end up going on a food binge, so just take it easy and take care of your health. So, with that being said review their menu either online or in the store. If you select your items before you leave home you will know exactly what to order when you get there and if you can't look at their nutritional information online make sure you review it even before you even approach the counter. You can always choose a slightly healthier option there but going for a chicken breast without the skin or a piece of grilled chicken. For side dishes I would stick with mashed potatoes without gravy, green beans, corn on the cob, baked beans or a side salad with fat-free dressing. Drink water or unsweetened iced tea for the healthiest beverage choices. Skip ordering dessert there and have a piece of fresh fruit instead.

I would suggest maybe trying to cook a home cooked meal as an alternative to KFC. When I am in the mood for chicken, pasta, etc. I do a lot of online searching for the best healthiest choice options available and make that as a meal. I am not the only eating these meals so I do have to make sure they are also healthy for my daughter as well. Another option could be ordering only a piece of chicken from KFC and then making your own side dishes at home along with dessert.

A chicken recipe that I like to make:

Marmalade Chicken (Makes: 4 servings)

Ingredients
    1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons orange marmalade
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1 pound chicken tenders, (see Note)
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    2 large shallots, minced
    1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest

Preparation

1. Whisk broth, vinegar, marmalade, mustard and cornstarch in a medium bowl.
    2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 4 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
    3. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and shallots to the pan and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, about 30 seconds. Whisk the broth mixture and add it to the pan. Bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook until the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Add the chicken; return to a simmer. Cook, turning once, until the chicken is heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in orange zest.

Note: Chicken tenders are the virtually fat-free strips of rib meat typically found attached to the underside of chicken breasts. They can also be purchased separately. Four 1-ounce tenders will yield a 3-ounce cooked portion. Tenders are perfect for quick stir-fries, chicken satay or kid-friendly breaded “chicken fingers.”

Nutrition: Per serving: 213 calories; 8 g fat ( 1 g sat , 5 g mono ); 68 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 0 g fiber; 246 mg sodium; 55 mg potassium.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Well the picture was enough to keep me from going & I don't even eat there!!!

yes! Oh, yuck just seeing it in my head again....blech
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Act like the adult you are, show some willpower, and don't eat it.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I've eaten KFC at least three or four times in the last month and still managed to lose a good 10 pounds in that time. I actually just had 20 of those KFC bites with some cole slaw yesterday after my workout. I also down one or two large frappuccinos from Starbucks every day. And some nights I eat an entire can of Pringles right before bed.

I've lost a ton of weight, I'm still losing weight, all my blood work is perfect as of yesterday's doctor's appointment (well, my B12 is high, LOL) and my blood pressure is 102/70 (I'm a 6'4" man...)

If there's one piece of advice I can give anyone trying to lose weight, it's this: figure out what your body's energy and macronutrient requirements are *for the goal you're trying to achieve*, and then eat the yummiest, most satisfying food you can eat while still staying roughly within those energy and macro requirements. You can't stay away from KFC? Then eat it on your way home from a big workout session (obligatory DYEL?) and make it fit your macros.

Eating only steamed vegetables and broiled fish for the rest of your life is not a sustainable weight loss strategy.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    addicted to KFC? cmon now.

also, if that meme is going to be used, please go back and spell "lose" correctly.
  • evgenythe2nd
    evgenythe2nd Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    KFC is not the problem. the problem is that its hard to count KFC calories, switch to Mcdonalds instead.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    KFC is not the problem. the problem is that its hard to count KFC calories, switch to Mcdonalds instead.

Really? That's not the real issue. Switching one to the other, isn't a solution.
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    So if you're a chicken fiend, which I am, here is a much healthier recipe that is so delicious we make it nearly every week!

Marinade:

Juice and zest of 2 oranges
    Juice and zest of 2 lemons
    1/2 c of olive oil
    1/2 c of sweetened lime juice (the kind you use to mix cocktails)
    salt and pepper
    whatever fresh herbs you have on hand, rosemary and thyme are fantastic

Take a whole bird and using kitchen shears, cut it up the middle of the breastbone so you have two halves.

Marinade the chicken in a large tub for 4 - 12 hours.

Grill over charcoal. In the oven works (kind of) but to get the real flavor you need the grill. Gas grill....meh. You want the smokiness of charcoal or wood. Grill over indirect heat for about 2 hours, basting the chicken in the marinade and creating a delectable crispy skin.

This amount of marinade will do 2 whole chickens (4 halves). This freezes very well. If you have a food saver, vacuum pack that bad boy. When you want to have it on a workday, pull it out of the freezer before work and put in a large bowl of cold water in the fridge. By the time you get home from work all you have to do is warm that bad boy up (microwave even works). YUMMMMMMMMYYYYYYY

We NEVER get tired of having this every week. Sometimes twice a week. The meat can be used for salads, wraps, etc. It is so flavorful and the olive oil helps seal in the juices.

Stay away from KFC. Food to die for....NOT

-Christy
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    addicted to KFC? cmon now.

also, if that meme is going to be used, please go back and spell "lose" correctly.

Finally somebody noticed, was taking long enough :D
    Noticed it when posting, but didn't want to change it after that xD

kinda shocked it took 2 full pages...considering theres a thread on it every 2 days. lol
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Has anyone any advice on how to stay away from KFC? I am totally addicted to it and could easily have one every single day, I know if I stayed away from it I could loss weight more easily but the trouble is I cant say no!! Anyone any advice to help me?

Go to Popeye's Chicken instead. They have waffle chicken tenders with honey maple dipping sauce.

0713.chi.rb.popeyeschicken01.jpg
  • BlazeJay83
    BlazeJay83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Never had that problem in the UK, KFC is generally greasy and disgusting. My brother had one once where the chicken was virtually green inside. He was on the toilet for several days afterwards. I won't touch the stuff.

Obviously I can understand the situation as we all have our favourite foods, but cutting it down even if you have to have it once a week as a treat isn't going to be a massive problem, as long as you are doing other things right.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Has anyone any advice on how to stay away from KFC? I am totally addicted to it and could easily have one every single day, I know if I stayed away from it I could loss weight more easily but the trouble is I cant say no!! Anyone any advice to help me?

Drive past it, and don't look back. Personally, I've been eating a lot of oven-fried chicken. Once you get the timing and crust/seasoning right, it's better than KFC. (to me at least)

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/640259