Homemade Quest Bars

Options

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I made these too. They're delicious, but yes, a little more chewy. Likely the honey which I may cut back a bit next time. I used Kaizen whey powder (vanilla) which is 150 cals a scoop. It made mine make 8 to stay under 200 calories :wink:

I made the cinnamon ones.

Thank you for posting. Saves me 2.50$ a bar:drinker:
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • indiawastaken
    indiawastaken Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this recipe!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    http://www.sweetcheetah.com/2013/07/diy-quest-bars.html
    Variations:
    -Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: use vanilla protein powder and sunflower butter, and chocolate chips/cacao nibs
    -Cinnamon Roll: use vanilla protein powder and add 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
    -Chocolate Brownie: use chocolate protein powder and add 1-2 tbsp cacao powder
    -Vanilla Almond Crunch: use vanilla protein powder, almond butter, and add 2 tbsp of almond pieces
    -Peanut Butter Supreme: use vanilla protein powder and peanut butter
    -Chocolate Peanut Butter: use chocolate protein powder and peanut butter
    -Coconut Cashew: use vanilla protein powder, cashew butter and unsweetened coconut
    -Lemon Cream Pie: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and 1 tbsp lemon juice
    -PB & J: use vanilla protein powder, peanut butter and add 1/4 cup dehydrated strawberries (thinly sliced strawberries placed on a cookie sheet and left in the oven overnight on the lowest setting)
    -Mixed Berry Bliss: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and dehydrated blueberries and strawberries
    -Strawberry Cheesecake: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and dehydrated strawberries
    -White Chocolate Raspberry: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and dehydrated raspberries

Will have to try. Thanks!
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    sounds awesome- thanks!
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    BUMP
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Even though i do not particularly like the cinnamon roll flavor Quest bars (the ones i bought were dry & tasted bad. bad batch maybe?) I wanted to try that flavor. I used the following:

4 scoops of protein powder (MRM Rich Vanilla Whey)
    4 Tblsp Creamy Peanut butter (Wegman's)
    2 Tblsp. Orange Blossom Honey
    4 Tblsp ground flax seed (Spectrum brand)
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    about 4 Tblsp of water

I really like that this formula was easy to mix & spread out in the pan. It is not overly sticky and impossible to work with like some other homemade bars that i have made.

Split into 5 servings, each bar has:

Total cals: 205
    Carbs: 13
    Fat: 10
    Protein: 19
    Fiber: 4
    Sodium: 94

They haven't set yet but i tasted the batter, and it is really good...can't wait to get them out of the freezer :)

edit: they are finally done! I cut them up and immediately scarfed one down. I really like them & will make them again, but i think that next time i'll add cocoa nibs or dark chocolate to the mix.

note, they are a bit tacky, it seems like they would do best stored in the freezer. So I stacked mine with a piece of parchment in between each layer & stuck them back in the freezer
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info above :) I finally have the ingredients now !
  • marvybells
    Options
    regarding my previous post about the bars being too tacky, they have been in the freezer for a while now & are still pliable, not as hardened as i would think they should be. I wonder if using oats instead of flax seed helps it to stick together, because I made different protein powder bars earlier with oats, peanut butter & almond milk. Those bars are frozen solid, i'm gonna move them to the fridge.

well, either way they taste great & i can easily keep them in the freezer, so no biggie....
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marvybells
    Options
    bump can someone recommend a fine textured protein powder?

i used MRM brand vanilla whey powder and the finished product was not grainy at all.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made the chocolate chip cookie dough bars. After refrigerating for 5 hours and freezing for 1, I think I messed up the recipe due to my protein powder having a small scoop. My bars were sticky and melting in my hand fast. I am waiting for the creater of the blog to post the actual measurements. But all in all the bars tasted just like cookie dough, so I was pleased and will try again. Since mine melt so fast, this morning I made cinnamon overnight oats and then rolled 1 bar into tiny balls and added them into my oats for a cookie dough oatmeal. YUMM.
  • marvybells
    Options
    Yesterday I made the chocolate chip cookie dough bars. After refrigerating for 5 hours and freezing for 1, I think I messed up the recipe due to my protein powder having a small scoop. My bars were sticky and melting in my hand fast. I am waiting for the creater of the blog to post the actual measurements. But all in all the bars tasted just like cookie dough, so I was pleased and will try again. Since mine melt so fast, this morning I made cinnamon overnight oats and then rolled 1 bar into tiny balls and added them into my oats for a cookie dough oatmeal. YUMM.

mine are too sticky & gooey for the fridge, but they are awesome straight out of the freezer. They stay just soft enough to bite through.
    I actually like it that way....

The same day i also made a recipe for no-bake protein bars that used peanut butter, oats & almond milk as the base. The batter was stickier. I'm not sure if the ratios of dry to liquid ingredients was off, or maybe it was because oats are gooier than flax seed....but they ended up too hard in the freezer & too soft for the fridge.

the other thing is that i have heard that honey helps bind the no-bake bars, perhaps adding some more honey would help.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try...and not spend $26 a box!
  • chrishunny
    chrishunny Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
    I haven't tried the quest bars because of price but this looks good.
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Will try since I am addicted to Quest bars.. Anyone know what gives the Quest bars so much fiber?
  • roliepolieolie
    roliepolieolie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    omg that sounds realllly good! I can't wait to try :)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to have to try these! I am actually pleased with the decrease in fiber.