Gym teacher makes 9th Graders do Insanity Workout

Options

Replies

• HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I'm unsure what Insanity includes but I remember one section of my highschool PE was called Bootcamp. We were on a timer for a circuit where we had stations we had to move to every one minute and in between each station we had to run back and forth across the entire gym once in like 30 seconds...I remember a lot of kids throwing up after class.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I had some really good P.E. teachers in Jr and High school. And I had some meh P.E. teachers. My high school aerobics teacher was the best, and even though I'm much heavier than I was then, I still really enjoy aerobics and vigorous walking. And I think that's to her credit. They're my go to exercises now.

However, she never put on videos and made us do them. She did every exercise herself and we followed along, and eventually, we were able to put together our own routines and be the 'class lead' in rotation.

IF it is just the teacher, turning on an LCD projector and playing Insanity against the wall with blasting speakers and telling the kids to follow along, complain, that's bull and really bad teaching.

IF the teacher is actually teaching how the body works, safety and streching, how exercise affects us, target heart rate, and Insanity is a 'sometimes' activity for a boosted exercise regime, I think it's okay. It could really interest kids who do not know how to exercise, are too old to 'go out and play', and do not run around for exercise on their own.

It's better than just being told to run laps all day. <-- This will turn kids off exercise because it's boring and you're not allowed to use ipods during class (at least not at my school).
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would love for my 13 and 15 yr olds to do insanity for gym. I would have no problem with it at all.
  • charlene1873
    Options
    That's a genius idea! I wish they would do that in the UK schools then we wouldn't have such a high obesity in youth problem.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would love for my 13 and 15 yr olds to do insanity for gym. I would have no problem with it at all.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Wish they did that when I was younger. My fat a55 hated PE :laugh:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    with the epidemic of obesity in school would that be any different that running 3.5 miles like what my high school PE teacher did? I don't think there should be such obesity with our kids. Just make sure they have a water bottle!
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I find I interesting we ***** about the obesity problem in America and with our kids and when we have a gym teacher who is taking the initiative to make these kids work (check out what football, basketball and wrestlers in school have to do) we complain. We are a country of pansies. I just read this to my wife and she said when she was in school, (years ago) they did the same type program every Friday, called Fit Friday. So let the kids work out and become fit role models.
  • lana_313
    lana_313 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My 9 year old daughter does insanity with me. She also did 30 day shred. It's just exercise. She stops when she's tired (and so do I). Exercise is great and I applaud that coach for getting those kids moving! I'm sure they don't expect them to be able to do it all, but the effort alone is extremely challenging and valuable. I would not expect to be notified by the school for something like this.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Considering how little physical exercise kids get nowadays and rampant childhood obesity, they probably need something like Insanity in PE.

Not really sure what the complaint is here. You want to give consent for your kid to do something more than LOLJUMPINGJACKS?

I complained about the jumping jacks and windmills when I was in PE. I complained about field day. I would have complained about Insanity. Hell, I complained about having to sit outside on the bleachers while watching the other kids do crap. Why? Because I was a teenager and complaining about everything it what teenagers do.

Hopefully, your kid will get something out of that program other than your whining.
    ^^ this
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think that is a great idea actually. Personally I think that it is horrible that a lot of schools are cutting out PE. My 8th grade son (13yrs old) just got his schedule yesterday and we were upset to find out he doesn't have any PE but instead has Spanish. I want him to take Spanish but not at the expense of no PE class. I told him we can see if he can get it switched and he can take Spanish next year instead. He really enjoys PE and getting to blow off some energy.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Yeah.....sounds like the gym teacher is being lazy by popping in a DVD rather than instructing the kids on something him/herself.

I agree. Football, for example, was created by someone else and so he can't introduce that sport. Basketball, by James Naismith, so he can't introduce that sport either.

Baseball? Softball? Hockey? Volleyball? Wait, what about Karate? Ooops....NOPE! He can't introduce those games either.

What do you suggest the teacher "CREATE" that he should do in PE? If you mention anything, then he didn't create it.

This is the dumbest thread on the board right now....WOWWW!

^^^This!!!

To add my thoughts to this thread:

The children are FINE with doing any kind of exercise in PE! As long as it's safe. Yes, I have experience with Insanity and know it's tough! They can do it their own pace as others have mentioned. Also, as others have mentioned, there is no need for me, as a parent, to be notified of my child taking this in class. Which, by the way, his football instructor has had them take! And, NO... the Coach did NOT get our approvals first. My son told me because I was bugging him to do the program with me and he wouldn't, then he came home and told me Coach had the team work on it one week.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Good God what will they be doing next? Teaching ALL the kids how to squat down properly and pick up heavy objects without getting hurt??? Well, that would just be CRAZY.

And thank goodness they've stopped teaching our delicate young flowers how to cook over a dangerous open flame in home economics. No good could ever come from learning how to cook for and feed yourself!

When my son was FOUR YEARS OLD he could do the entire Insanity warm up without stopping.

FFS get a grip.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Wow...we used to do somethign similar when I was in school...

Seriously tho kids need physical activity...move their butts...childhood obesity and diabetes is an epedimic in our countries (Canada, US, UK etc)

tell your friend to be glad the PE is still in the school and the teacher cares enough to teach them Physcial education.

On a side note no one seems to have issues with having football or hockey in our schools which can permantly disable our children...Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

On a side note no one seems to have issues with having football or hockey in our schools which can permantly disable our children...Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

QFMFT
  • Galathea96
    Galathea96 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What sort of PE classes do you guys have over in the USA that some of you think insanity is too hard for young people? I'd have fallen down and kissed my PE teacher if all I'd had to do in high school PE classes was an insanity workout.

Instead we got mountain climbing (I hate heights), wind surfing (that was cool!), triathlon races (swim 1000m, bike 10km and run 3km), Gymnastics (rings and parallel bars, again the heights), trampoline (with somersaults, nearly broke my back here), karate, football (soccer), orienteering (10km circuit) and biking around the darn country for a whole week. I was fit and healthy all the way through my youth thanks to PE despite the fact that I despised those classes with the hate of ten thousand burning suns.
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous.

I remember in elementary we had a coach make us do a video by Shaun T. almost every week. One of his older ones? Anyways, it was difficult, and COMPLETELY insane to have 5th graders doing this.
    Gym teachers need to be GYM TEACHERS and help kids be active with games, and incorporate themselves into these games with the students, not put on a DVD on a screen so they can go sit down and watch. WTF is wrong with teachers??
  • jayce54321
    jayce54321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    At least they are up and moving. Insanity beats the hell out of dodgeball.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that when a gym teacher makes kids "work out" instead of "playing a game" (aka Insanity instead of Dodgeball) a parent freaks out.

The kid is in high school. They can play sports on their own, during team/club practices, etc.... Quit your whining and let your kid actually WORK OUT.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    THIS. IS. CRAZY!!! Kids muscles aren't developed enough to do intense workouts like this. I hear this can cause serious permanent damage. My teen sister is my best workout partner. We do Zumba, SHORT sessions of Insanity, and Rockin' Body but this is one or two times/wk, not every day and we switch up the workouts. I would never make her do a full Insanity session as I can't do it myself, yet. Being required to do this without the parent's consent is WRONG. When I was in high school, we did Sweatin To The Oldies. I think that, or Tae Bo, maybe a good option, but Insanity is WAY TOO MUCH. Also, what is the gym teacher doing while the kids are watching a video. How lazy is that?!

I don't see anywhere in the post that the kids are forced to work out beyond their ability or that they are being forced to do entire sessions. I certainly don't see where the teacher is laying down eating bonbons during the workout. Nor does it say that this is anything semester-long or any different in any way from any other workout or exercise program introduced during the class.

So, in short, I don't see what the difference is between this and what you do with your "best workout partner."