Guys opinion: Girls who don't drink

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I don't think I would have noticed whether a friend was or wasn't drinking. I was never a big drinker even in my early twenties. I probably drink more now than before. I am often the non-drinking friend. I've also dabbled in the 'passed-out0by-the-bonfire' friend. It never occurred to me to be one way or the other lol. It's bizarre that your friends care!
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    If you dont want to drink then dont. A relationship shouldnt revolve around such a thing. I personally am slowly not drinking as much and the biggest reason I see is because I feel it slows down my fitness goals, its more of a waste than anything, but that is an opinion i have on it. I do drink one drink every in a blue moon but not as much as I used to.

In the end, not drinking is your choice and should have little to do with relationships and how ppl judge ya, there is more to life then drinking and more to a woman on how and what they drink.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    You don't need to drink. Trust me the only time I drink something is when its a Saturday and I am not alone at home...

Or I am going to bed.

I think you need new friends.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    i think its fine i don't drink as far as confidence thats sexy so you win either way
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    I can't imagine why any man would care if you decided not to drink unless they have an agenda. While I have done my share of drinking I almost always go water/soda because it is not the lifestyle I want. Plus, i HATE cabs! I want to safely drive myself home!
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Edit: I didn't see the part where you said it wouldn't change your decision. Previous post was irrelevant.

It really shouldn't matter what the majority of men think about whether a girl drinks or not. Whether or not you consume alcohol is a personal decision. You really don't need to justify your decision to anyone.
  • vivmfp
    vivmfp Posts: 1
    I can tell you this much: probably 70-80% of ER visits are directly or indirectly related to alcohol -- far more than all drugs plus cigarettes combined. This is true in the Chicago ERs where I've worked (I'm an ER RN, but I've been working as pre-surgical RN the last year).

From falls, to MVCs (motor vehicle collisions), to battery (fights) related to drunken fighting, to domestic violence, to stabbings, shootings, and accidents around the house (falls from ladders while painting, putting a hand in a lawnmower but forgetting to turn off/unplug first, falls from balconies/porches/rooftop decks) - alcohol is a factor in all of these more often than it is not. Drunk people are easier to rob, more likely to get upset, more likely to not be paying close attention to things.

Drunk people lose coordination more easily and trip or fall from porches/balconies/rooftop decks more easily than sober people. Drunk people shouldn't drive, but they do. Alcohol's inhibition lowering effects mean people lose tempers more easily and take offense more easily, leading to more conflicts, fights, and violence. Drunk people don't watch their kids as well, don't paint windows as well, don't stay on ladders as well, and forget to turn machinery off before trying to fix it...

In your age group, everyone is trying to drink because in many states, the legal age to drink is 21, so it's a bigger deal to go out drinking when you're not actually legal to do so. Partying hard while they can, they enjoy "getting away with it."

Points to consider: 1) after they're all of legal age to drink, buying drinks will be less of a big deal; 2) as they mature, some will realize they don't like drinking that much, and were only doing it "because everyone else is"; 3) some will fall down into the bottom of a bottle and stay there the rest of their lives; 4) as your friends grow older, they will metabolize alcohol (and everything else) less efficiently, they'll develop more hangovers, and they'll get "beer bellies" -- which are nature's disincentives to drinking excessively!

Most people who hassle their sober friends are insecure and deep down they know they are drinking too much -- but if you drink with them, they can ignore that little voice telling them to stop or cut back. But when you don't drink with them, that little voice they don't want to hear gets louder. They drown it out by hassling you, instead of listening to it.

Don't let them hassle you. Put your foot down, privately, with all your friends individually and demand they respect your right to not drink and stop hassling you. Under those circumstances (not a group confrontation! not recommended), If they don't stop, find new friends.
  • I've never been a drinker, I can't say I have had any problems with friendships or relationships because of my drinking status. If the people like you for you I can't see it being a problem and if they do they probably are not worth your time
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    If you have friends who wont support that, or use peer pressure on you then they aren't friends worth having. Everybody has the freedom to choose and it shouldn't matter. If they don't appreciate your choices, find friends who will. Any guy or girlfriend who makes it a big deal should not be worth your time.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    It makes me respect them more just because they stand up for a principle. It doesn't matter what that idea is. I was just hanging out with the bar with my friends last night and all I had was water. I don't need to drink every social event.

Also... I'm a firm believer anyone who tries to buy someone a drink at a bar after 10 pm is a douche.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Do what you want, as long as you're not one of those holier-than-thou people who look down on people who do enjoy drinking alcohol.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    It is "socially unacceptable not to drink" with the people are around then pick a new crowd. I don't drink at all and none of the social functions I go to have alcohol.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Also... I'm a firm believer anyone who tries to buy someone a drink at a bar after 10 pm is a douche.

... what?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member

What? I'm I missing some sort of drink buying etiquette?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    i would assume they are pretty boring. its one thing if they dont feel the need to get drunk but if they cant enjoy a great wine with dinner...
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    i would assume they are pretty boring. its one thing if they dont feel the need to get drunk but if they cant enjoy a great wine with dinner...

I know right! I said the same thing in that AA meeting and they looked at me like I was an ahole!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I wasn't a drinker at your age either. I went through all that in high school. In college I went to parties and I danced the most and enjoyed myself. I didn't need alcohol to loosen up. I don't think anyone even knew if I was drinking or not. I seriously did not need it. I'm wild enough without it. They probably thought I was drinking. Actually, my husband told me years later that the guys had a nickname for me. It was nymph, and they said it was because I got wild at parties. But, it wasn't from drinking. That's just how I am at a party. Anyway, my husband is a non-drinker, so obviously he didn't care. And now I'm married to the man of my dreams and he's a successful physicist and I'm a dancer. So, yeah, there is more to life than drinking. I look at family members now that have had their lives torn apart by addiction, so there can be a downside to the heavy drinking life. Now, I'm 35 and people think I'm 18. There are perks to good health. I don't think there should be judgment from either direction. It's a personal choice. I just think that if someone thinks it's boring to not drink, they must be a pretty boring person to think that (because they are probably basing it on their own experience of themselves when they are sober). Anyway, they may not be as fun drinking as they think they are (alcohol tends to give people a false sense of confidence).
  • I don't drink and I'm going to let the cat out of the bag but those "friends" of yours that are giving you a hard time are most likely alcoholics or future ones that don't like your clean way of life because you might notice how heavy they drink or how stupid they look or be aware to see the poor decisions they make while intoxicated. Someone said it best: find new friends. Only alcoholics notice those kinds of things. People who aren't obsessed with booze wouldn't give a **** nor notice what you had in your glass. Good for you for quitting! Best decision I ever made, although there are a lot of empty table tops now that I have :P
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member

I know right! I said the same thing in that AA meeting and they looked at me like I was an ahole!

AA ( assuming you were serious about attending ) has some interesting ideas.
    While I believe it's true that some people can't control themselves to have just one drink, many can.
    My drinking was out of control as a teenager and young adult.
    How I didn't get a DUI or kill someone is only by the grace of God.
    I quit completely for six years when I was pregnant and my kids were little.
    Now I can literally have one drink or even a sip of hubby's beer and walk away.
    I can go for months with no alcohol.
    I can take it or leave it.
    My point is that AA gives alcohol all the power and control.
    Not for me.
    I'm not going to be afraid of a drink because I'm in control.

But OP, I think the best guys and friends would be the ones who consider your intellect and wit more important than your consumption abilities :smile:

Edit: for stupid typos from auto-correct :grumble:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    I don't drink and I'm going to let the cat out of the bag but those "friends" of yours that are giving you a hard time are most likely alcoholics or future ones that don't like your clean way of life because you might notice how heavy they drink or how stupid they look or be aware to see the poor decisions they make while intoxicated. Someone said it best: find new friends. Only alcoholics notice those kinds of things. People who aren't obsessed with booze wouldn't give a **** nor notice what you had in your glass. Good for you for quitting! Best decision I ever made, although there are a lot of empty table tops now that I have :P

lol@thinking only alcoholics notice if someone is drinking or not. sometimes its a sign if someone isnt feeling well...or that they are a designated driver or that they are pregnant....