Appeal: Please use serving size as grams

Options

Replies

• JoanneTalerico
    JoanneTalerico Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :happy:
    I'm not sure where you live but here in the U.S. a lot of food items are not given a gram serving size. Instead it could be in ounces, cups, etc. And I think you're being awfully anal weighing prepackaged foods.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about American measurments, I do English. If there is nothing I know, I create new item. Thats all.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!! I mean, when I see 1 cup or half a cup, it drives me crazy! I don't know how big your cup is!
    Thank you for bringing this up!

:laugh:

It is a unit of measure, similar to mL.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    The calories on food packages are all estimates anyway, your pizza wasn't identical to the pizza they measured calories for.

Also, you can't just upscale the calories of your pizza by weight to assume your pizza is the same. What if the difference in weight wasn't equal between the ingredients and was just down to your pizza receiving too much cheese :smile: :wink:

Just deal with it :drinker:
  • whierd
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live but here in the U.S. a lot of food items are not given a gram serving size. Instead it could be in ounces, cups, etc. And I think you're being awfully anal weighing prepackaged foods.

Most of the food I buy has the gram serving size in parenthesis.
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you can edit it and just edit that amount. Yes more work for you, but it'd be accurate in your diary.

Also, if you add your own food, and check off the spot that says something like "allow other members to use" just say No. Then you don't clutter the database and it's accurate for when you'd like to use it next time.
    I never noticed an option to allow others to use, thanks for the tip!! :smile: (I definitely add my own food if I'm not happy with what's there and I've never seen that; maybe that option is only on the website, not the app, which is what I normally use?)

And grams, ugh, I don't wanna use grams (but feel free to use them if you like them better). Maybe it's because I don't use a food scale with grams on it? When I see a food that is only in grams, I groan.

Although I had no idea a cup wasn't exactly 8 ounces and may differ even more in other countries so maybe there is something to this gram thing after all:
    Wikipedia Cup page
    Okay, why isn't my link working? I know how to do the BBCode. Sorry you'll have to copy and paste I guess.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I agree!!!! I mean, when I see 1 cup or half a cup, it drives me crazy! I don't know how big your cup is!

How big is a gram?

See how silly that sounded?
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I don't know where you're from, but I'm hoping that it's not a place in the world where 1 cup = 8 fl oz.

I also like to weigh my food . . . in ounces, which is a smaller unit for a pound. I renounce your grams.

^^^This. My scale weighs in ounces, I hate it when items are listed in grams. My cup is also a measuring cup.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I weigh in grams whenever possible. It is much more accurate. I think all food labels are in grams now.

1 cup is 8 oz of liquid. But say 1 cup of melon. depending on the size of the pieces will really change the weight. 8 oz of cheetos is almost the whole bag.

No arguing grams.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Same here. I am truly not understanding the big deal. *shrug*
  • whierd
    Options

I don't know where you're from, but I'm hoping that it's not a place in the world where 1 cup = 8 fl oz.

I also like to weigh my food . . . in ounces, which is a smaller unit for a pound. I renounce your grams.

^^^This. My scale weighs in ounces, I hate it when items are listed in grams. My cup is also a measuring cup.

An ounce is 28g. 16oz per pound. Therefore, a pound is 448g.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    ummmm. I think a cup is 8 oz and a 1/2 cup is 4 oz.

Well I just did a little experiment - I weighed a cup of flour (level) - it was 160g or 5 5/8 oz, and a cup of penne pasta (as level as poss) and that was 95g or 3 1/4 oz.

I'll stick with my scales.
  • italian_bella_xo
    Options

uh....a cup is a unit of measure. one cup = one cup.

love this.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    FYI: There's a really handy smartphone app called "UNITS" I use all the time. Very simple. Free. No joke, if you have a smartphone it's very handy to have.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

I know that. Most of mine does to but not all. It would be easier to measure (for me) if it were all in grams, but sometimes it just doesn't come that way. That was my only point.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm another who prefers grams--more precise.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    1 cup = what i wear when i play baseball
  • JoanneTalerico
    JoanneTalerico Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am calm, that's why I didn't use expletives. :flowerforyou:
  • whierd
    Options

I know that. Most of mine does to but not all. It would be easier to measure (for me) if it were all in grams, but sometimes it just doesn't come that way. That was my only point.

Ahh, I gotcha. Yeah, it can be a pain at times.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Weight (Grams or ounces) should be used for solid foods, and volume (fl ounces, ml, cups) for liquids