Frustrated, even furious

Options

Replies

• jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    OP,

I looked closely at your profile pic. I would be less worried about your calories and more worried about the fact that your face is devoid of a mouth, nose or eyes!
  • R4eBro
    R4eBro Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oops hit send to early....thanks to Jessie for stating what I was feeling, excuse after excuse...resist resist, the amount of time taken making up excuses why you can't you could have logged a lot.

Pony up, stop the pitty party and get on with it!
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Since May I lost about about 29 lbs mainly by eating nice and "clean" (cooked from scratch, 99% non-processed foods, many organic), reducing portion sizes and exercising 4-5 times a week. During the first month, I remember eating very little because I had zero appetite because of the scare. Then I calmed down a little bit, my appetite came back and I began eating a bit more - but still quite little, always abstaining from more.

Sounds like you went into it and changed everything, cut back your intake dramatically and have managed to lose 29 lbs in less than 3 months by starving yourself. Understand 10 lbs a month is NOT normal..That is VERY aggressive..unless you happen to be over 400 lbs you are losing WAY too quickly. When you have only a little weight to lose - which by your ticker..maybe 30 lbs total you should be no where near 10 lbs per month loss.

Your goal is way too aggressive. Your body has now started down the path to adaptive thermogenisis. Your body refuses to lose weight because it has determined by the lack of nutrition that it has been getting the past few months that it needs to conserve its stores. Every extra calorie you give it will be stored because you have not been providing your body with enough fuel.

Set your goal to .5lbs/week loss and eat. You will gain weight for the first while until your body can re-establish a 'normal' level of nutrients. Unfortunately there is not really much way around that.

Read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

Great post, thanks
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm just insulted that you think you're the busiest person here.

MOST people here have lives and still manage to count calories.

It's a miracle, I know.

^ This.

In the time you've taken to argue about how "time consuming" logging is on here, you could've logged an entire week's worth of food. Or you could just keep doing whatever you're doing that isn't working. Cuz, that should totally give you a more desirable result.

Have to agree with all the above.

And I'm just totally confused.

You don't want to count calories (and don't) but come on a calorie counting website for help?

Seems legit.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m5xzmd7rgz1qbaj4uo1_400.gif
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I'm sorry...I'm starting to get a bit tired of all the people on here who are like:

"I eat 200 calories a day, can't see straight, and I'm not losing weight! HELP!

...oh, and don't ask me to eat more, track my macros, count calories and do some useful exercise. In between sitting on my *kitten* all day, walking five minutes to my car, coming home to prepare my 100 calorie meal and sitting on my *kitten* all night, I simply don't have time! WAH!"

Here is what works: Eat better. Track your intake. Do some resistance. Stop buying the Cosmo lie that everyone underneath their flab is somehow supposed to be skinny as a rail, all you have to do is not eat.

This takes work, time, research and a bit of faith. People here (who are ALL seeing results BTW) are more than ready to help, but you have to be ready for what they have to say.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    So you're asking for a green light to chronically and knowingly starve yourself? Ok, then the answer is no.

What happens if I continue to eat below saturation point (that is, always feeling somewhat hungry?.
    I mean, what are the risks I am running?
    Stop loosing weight even on a meager amount of calories? If yes, for how long?

99% of the foods I eat ARE very nutritious, so I do get the maximum nutrients I can get out of what I eat.

You talk about health issues being your biggest motivator so far, so let's assume for a moment that you are actually eating 900-1200 calories and continue to do so for a prolonged period of time. You risk: hormone imbalance, vitamin deficiency, hair loss, sagging skin, brittle nails, muscle loss (including from the heart), mood swings, infertility, poor circulation (which can lead to ulcers), loss of bone density, etc.

But, that's assuming you have an accurate handle on how much you're eating.You don't have to log long term, but it would really help if you just logged a day or two of food accurately to really see what you're eating. No one can tell you if your current plan is a good one or not unless you have accurate numbers to work from.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry...I'm starting to get a bit tired of all the people on here who are like:

"I eat 200 calories a day, can't see straight, and I'm not losing weight! HELP!

...oh, and don't ask me to eat more, track my macros, count calories and do some useful exercise. In between sitting on my *kitten* all day, walking five minutes to my car, coming home to prepare my 100 calorie meal and sitting on my *kitten* all night, I simply don't have time! WAH!"

Here is what works: Eat better. Track your intake. Do some resistance. Stop buying the Cosmo lie that everyone underneath their flab is somehow supposed to be skinny as a rail, all you have to do is not eat.

This takes work, time, research and a bit of faith. People here (who are ALL seeing results BTW) are more than ready to help, but you have to be ready for what they have to say.

this-guy-i-love-this-guy-drunk-baby-meme.jpg
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I just wonder whether I am doomed to a life of hunger and constant abstinence - Africa style.

I understand the frustration of the weight loss and not eating thing but you don't need to be abstinetn that has no erffect on weighrt lorss.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    changed my mind
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I can sympathise in that I also have times when I get tired of the programme - the results don't seem fast enough/I can't scratch together the motivation/I've plateau-ed for a while/I just make a choice to eat fattening stuff for whatever psychological reason. The great thing about MFP is the support, and (so far) every time I come back, annoyed with myself but having the knowledge and the tools to carry on. I'm far from an ideal examplar, but nevertheless, when I follow the programme, I see results. I'm much healthier than I was 18 months ago.

From me this requires sticking to the programme. Weighing food and counting calories. Sometimes it is laborious, yes. I've learned to tweak my macros, with enough fat, protein and fibre I very rarely feel actual hunger (I don't count the feeling that life would be better if I was outside a huge bar of chocolate/slab of cheese as hunger).

I've played with different approaches but I always count calories (I sometimes do 5:2, but even then I count calories all of the week).

Maybe MFP simply isn't the right approach for you, and something else might suit you better? All weightloss aproaches I believe came down to creating a calorie deficit, but there's myriad methods for achieving this, and if you find calorie counting so very irritating, then maybe it's worth looking at something else?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Many people have taken the time to try to help you. You are being obstinate. If you aren't willing to try the suggestions that the successful people here have offered, then I wish you all the best in reaching your goals, but I refuse to bother to try to help.

Honestly. For every legitimate suggestion you have an excuse. Either you can be bothered or you can't. If you can't, that's fine, but don't ask.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    First, I have to say that a 2lb gain is not a "pile", but a very normal fluctuation in anybody's weight throughout a week, or even day to day. You do not pile on 2lbs of fat by eating a normal amount of food. :smile: I'm up a pound over yesterday, even though I was under goal - no biggie, it's normal - I look the same, my clothes fit the same - there isn't a pound of fat that jumped on me over night to make my scale go up.

I would agree with others who've said you need to start counting your calories to get an accurate picture of just how much you are eating, and then do the work to calculate how much you SHOULD be eating, and go from there. I'm guessing you've been eating too little for too long, which will cause a gain to show on the scale once your start eating more, even if it is the proper amount for you. Takes time for the body to adjust, but it's soooo worth it.

The tools are here, and there's great info posted in many areas of the forums on how to set things right. Educate yourself - you can do it - you don't have to be hungry to lose weight!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    <<Five years into my wake up call and two years into calorie counting. I still count calories.

It's not difficult at all, but it forces me to be honest with myself about what I'm consuming. It also allows me to know how many calories I burn so I can eat at exactly the deficit I need to hit my goals, and enjoy decent sized meals in the process.

You can try to go it alone on your own way as you've been doing (which clearly isn't working), or you can listen to advice from people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    ^^ Word.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have found that with the many cooked-from-scratch foods I eat it is simply not practical to calculate how may calories my portion represents. I don't eat food that comes from labeled packages and for me it would just take way, way to long to figure out exactly how many calories a certain bite has.

If you ask for advice and then simply argue when good advice is given then you don't truly want the advice.

Until you are disciplined enough to actually count and weight what you eat you will always be frustrated and you'll never figure out how to stop being hungry.

Quite simply, you are being LAZY and WHINY.

Either do what you've been advised to do or stop complaining.
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you think 1200-1500 cals is eating more then this is the problem! You are not eating enough! I'm 140 and aim for 1650 calories a day but a few days a week I pig out and reach 2000-2200 and I don't gain weight really! you nee to fuel your body! My exercise is minimal tbh. I defo think you need to track as something does add up! No one gains weight by eating 1200- 1500 calories (which is a child's recommended portion) unless they have an underlying problem! Maybe you're guesstimating isn't as good as you thought? I know mine isn't... I weighed my cereal the other month to realise I was having double the 30g suggested serving! Think you need to look at things in depth to see the prob. I'd say eat more, defo work out your tdee xx
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    abe-simpson-walk-in-walk-out-o.gif
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for other ideas beside calorie counting then....why ask MFP? It's a calorie counting website. you'd do better to try forums that aren't based on a calorie counting tool.

To be honest, I was under the impression this was more like a place of support for people who are trying to lose weight, get in shape, and be healthy, generally speaking - regardless of the specific method they use to reach these goals.
    I did not realize it had a "religious cult" dimension and that only those who zealously log their food intake every day can participate.

I respectfully specified from the beginning that calorie counting doesn't work for me, personally. This should certainly not give people license to assume that anyone for whom calorie logging doesn't work is "lazy", "stubborn" or just all-around an "unreasonable" person. Neither should people assume that just because their schedule and family structure appears to be largely the same with someone else's, that means they are equally busy. Despite all of us being generally busy nowadays, there are incredibly variations in the amount of "business" and pressures each of us deals with.

FOR ME - and again, I emphasize FOR ME!! - calorie counting is not just unpractical and time consuming (yes, I have tried it on this very site and it is very time consuming), but also psychologically unhealthy. I do not want to obsess over a specific "food journey" or "weight loss" journey every day.

I want to adjust my eating habit to a point where I eat healthy, I lose all the weight I need to lose, then I just maintain - without thinking much about it.
    Do I expect to be able to stuff my face with pizza and cake all day without giving it a thought - and maintain a healthy weight? Obviously not.

But this where common sense steps in.
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I apologise for my bad grammar/ typo's I blame my iPhone lol x