When craving soda, what do you reach for besides water?

Options

Replies

• RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have managed to overcome my soda addiction drinking water with mio, hawain punch flavoring, lemon/cucumber water. I indulge in soda mixed with my whiskey on the weekends but thats it..... and I drink 1/2 gal of water everyday.

I carry a water bottle with me everywhere I go.... and when I get a craving for soda or something sweet I look at that jug and start chugging till it goes away.. it gets easier as you go.. lol... its about setting your goal.. one day at a time... "Im not drinking soda today and I AM drinking this much water".... before you know it the days add up and its not an issue any more.

Good luck!! :)
  • mullaneywt
    mullaneywt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, or buy it flavored, or add juice/whatever. Just be gentle if you shake it to mix it. :-)
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but I am addicted to soda. I have cut down to 1 a day and just went 4 days without one. But I craved it and it would drive me nuts. I do not drink diet sodas, yuck! How does everyone replace soda, I know everyone will say water. I drink about 10 glasses of water a day but it still does not give me that satisfaction of a good cold Coca-Cola.

red bull.
  • sapphyreskye
    Options
    I like your tea idea as well! I'm going to try it probably later tonight.

And if I do end up getting that soda maker, I'll post and let everyone know how it turns out.

My other idea is buying an ice cream maker and using almond milk, maybe some whey protein, and fruit.

Yum! That sounds good. I was looking at almond milk the other day, and I like how it is lower in calories than regular milk, but it, for me, was hard to get used to when I tried it before, because I like regular milk...but maybe in a smoothie or something, with other flavours and the protein powder... and as ice cream! yes! I don't know why it never occurred to me to do that with it before. lol
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Other than water, I've started to buy these sampler boxes of fruit flavored caffeine free tea (you can find them in any walmart/target). So I'll take one flavor (usually 4 tea bags) and steep them in a small pot of water for 5-10 minutes. Then i stir, throw ice cubes in the pot (so it cools down). Then I pour it all into a plastic pouring container (with the bags still). Then I fill it with more water, about 75-80% high, stir again, then put it in the fridge. A no calories unsweetened tea thats better than your normal unsweetened ice tea.

Even better yet, I've chopped up pieces of fruit (for the cherry tea, i'll use a serving or two of cherries) and steep them with the tea bags. Same process, and it tastes even better! It now has some sugar from the fruit but its still much healthier than any soda or high fructose corn syrup drink.

You can even use your own sugar and limit it.

I don't even drink soda anymore because of it. Lately I've been thinking on buying one of those soda makers, and use the same process I use to make the tea. But then use it in the soda maker to carbonate it. I'm thinking it may be pretty good :-)

Be a little careful about what liquids you carbonate. For the Sodastream, if you carbonate anything but plain water, you will void your warranty. Just in case that's a concern to you.
  • Buckeyegirlbritt
    Options
    I find myself drinking Gatorade (G2) over ice often. It quenches the thirst and doesn't have a lot of sugar.

Note: I am pregnant and water doesn't set well with me.
  • dorawwr
    dorawwr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried club soda? I find most of the time I just want the bubbles. You can jazz it up with cucumber, lime, or strawberries, etc. if you like. It's working for me.

This is a great idea. During my college days when I was keeping fit, I would substitute my soda cravings with club soda with an ounce or two of cranberry juice and a squeeze of fresh lime. You can definitely mix it up and add fresh fruits or other types of juices to flavor up your club soda. It's a good substitute if you're wanting a fizzy drink.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    ICE carbonated drinks are really good for soda replaces or even the vitamin water sparkling waters.

LOVE THOSE THINGS! Best alternative to pop I've found to date. If you have issues with Splenda, I just go with carbonated water and fresh fruit. The mio drops (or knock offs) with the carbonated water are good too. Just be careful about the carbonated water...there are some brands that contain sodium...others do not. Check the label!
  • Habgirl
    Habgirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a soda stream and I carbonate my filtered water! All the bubbles but none of the sugar and sodium!
  • knitwit0704
    Options
    Why not carbonated water? You can put in a few drops of juice and change the flavor a lot.

I have never had carbonated water. Could you add the mio drops to it? or any flavor enhancer?

I do this, so yes, you can.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I didn't like diet soda at first, so if it's flavor that bugs you, not the idea of diet soda, try different flavors instead of plain cola. IE, Diet Mt Dew, Diet Dr Pepper, diet cherry, lime or vanilla colas.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking sparkling water or sparkling water with liquid Crystal Lite whenever I am craving soda. Usually, just having that "I just drank something carbonated" feeling is enough for the cravings to subside.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I always have a case of Club Soda in the fridge. It satisfies that need for bubblies!

You can also add lemon, lime, a dash of fruit juice like cranberry...one of my favorites is adding a dash of cold herbal tea. Rooibos is wonderful, or berry tea.
  • yeraldin03
    Options
    I reach for Sparking ICE 0 Cals. and it doesn't taste like diet! Plus they have a lot of favors!
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies you had, but thought I'd tell you. I absolutely hate about 99% of all diet drinks. I don't know where you are from but if you can get Big Red Zero I would suggest that, I also really like Sprite Zero and that should be available about everywhere. Those are the only 2 diet sodas that taste like regular soda to me.

I also agree that if you want it, and it fits in your calories then have it. The more things you cut out the more things you will crave. This is my opinion from my own personal experience.

Good luck
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I bought Sparkling ICE in the coconut pinapple flavor...eh...it is ok at best. It did curve my desire from wanting a soda but I had to suffer it down. Wal-Mart was not very stocked yesterday, I wanted to try other things that were mentioned. I ended up with a Peace Tea and a sparkling flavored water. See how today goes. Thanks guys!!
  • jkprof
    jkprof Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i crave soda too. Either a real coke or a diet pepsi. I've been off both for over a year or two. and at points in my life i've guzzled down up to a 2 liter of diet soda per day. i'm convinced it is deadly. that is what got me off (i started reading about the health risks of diet and regular sodas). Since then, i've substiuted La Croix water with cran berry juice or Cran water (no sugar). it takes some getting used to and weaning off is hard. But, the fizzy kick is still there and the cran water part of it is good for liver and kidneys. i drink a lot of iced tea--too, gives the caffeine and refreshment but not the calories or the other drawbacks of soda. Good luck.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    umm soda.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    umm soda.

^^ this, if I am craving a soda I'll just drink the thing
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options