Sugar Lovers take note The Rats became addicted

Options

Replies

• brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You probably should have quoted another source than Daily Mail. I read it every day but like most people I'm well aware of how they aren't a reputable source for any *real* news.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Is there a link to the actual study?
  • mom2kidds
    mom2kidds Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    From Shades of Hope treatment center, website www.http://shadesofhope.com/about/

Sugar Addiction and the Brain

If you experience strong cravings for sugar, don’t pass them off as something to be ignored. Research has revealed that sugar shares some of the same addictive properties found in substances like nicotine and heroin. Foods that are high in sugar may actually trick your brain into consuming more.

How sugar addiction works

Addictive substances make you feel good with a release of chemicals in the brain triggering pleasure, euphoria and energy. Rather than sustaining these feelings the brain and body work together to create a balance in your system – homeostasis – to avoid extreme fluctuations. Because the body is focused on creating this balance, it often learns to adapt to the effects of substances that may alter mood.

Sugar Handprint

In simplest terms, when the body takes in an addictive, mood-altering substance, it creates hormones and chemicals to counteract that substance. If the brain expects that you are going to take in the substance, it alters chemicals to counteract that substance. If you resist the temptation to consume the substance — in this case sugar — the altered chemical state of the brain caused by the expectation can create powerful cravings.

This pattern only strengthens addictions. This is why many drug addicts and smokers feel they need drugs or nicotine just to feel normal. The same thing happens with sugar.

A study by researchers at the National Institute for Physiological Sciences in Japan found that when a mice’s brain expects a sweet treat, the mice’s brain releases a chemical called orexin, which triggers the muscles in the body to absorb any sugar that may be circulating in the bloodstream. This is an effort to prepare for an increase in blood sugar, and it is the adaptation that helps regulate blood sugar when eating.

When the muscles absorb sugar, the blood sugar drops. If you resist the temptation to eat something sweet, the adaptation of the body and brain to lower your blood sugar may create increased cravings and decreased energy to resist those cravings. Thus the vicious cycle of addiction begins.

Stop Sweets

Interestingly, researchers have also found that visibility and convenience trigger sugar addiction. In other words, when candy or sweets are visible and readily available, you’ll be more likely to consume the sugary foods. If environment is controlled and sugar is out of sight, it’s also, essentially “out of mind.”

Like other substance addictions, if you suffer from an addiction to sugar, begin fighting that addiction by making changes in your environment. If you have sugar or sweets in your home, put them out of sight. This could even go so far as encouraging your workplace to replace sweet treats in the work vending machine to healthy snacks.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    The article went on to say that the rats consumed so much sugar, they became candied themselves. Researchers declared them to be delicious!

biggummyrat.jpg
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm more addicted to fat give me a hit of butter or mayo. Although if you add a cup of sugar, mixed with a stick of butter, a sprinkle of salt, and vanilla flavoring it's all of the wonders of a cookie minus the baking hassle.

You left out the chocolate chips. :flowerforyou:

You know, if you threw a pack of instant oat meal in this I could justify eating it to others. However, I can justify eating it w/o the oats to myself.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Oh, The Daily Mail. Wah-wah.

this
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What would you say if I told you...I'm not a rat?

What??? Oh the trickery! I JUST can't take it!!

You know what else?!

You aren't a rat EITHER!

Boom! :explode:

OMGEEE!!! I no longer have an alibi for eating sugar!! Damn YOU!!!
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    :huh: This is depressing. (you suck)
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Humans=/= Rats.

Human nutritional studies are completely unreliable because the variables cannot be controlled. So they tend to rely on food diaries and surveys.

Mice and rats have been used for 100s of years for research. Dismissing any study because it used animals shows a complete lack of understanding of science and research.

Here is a short list of some of the medical benefits that came from animals used in medical studies and research:

http://www.amprogress.org/animal-research-benefits
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Humans=/= Rats.

Human nutritional studies are completely unreliable because the variables cannot be controlled. So they tend to rely on food diaries and surveys.

Mice and rats have been used for 100s of years for research. Dismissing any study because it used animals shows a complete lack of understanding of science and research.

Here is a short list of some of the medical benefits that came from animals used in medical studies and research:

.... Did you really just say that to HIM?

*duck and cover*
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Humans=/= Rats.

*duck and cover*

dis-gun-be-good.gif
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Humans=/= Rats.

I see you left out the rest of my post, so I will ask again, did that study use the 12 hr on/off feeding protocol and if so, how does that relate to humans?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m77y7d1yAA1r2gow4o1_500.jpg
    wut?
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I get high on waffles every morning. Until something stronger comes along.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    So...is stevia safe yet? Or should we all just wither and die right now?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Humans=/= Rats.

*duck and cover*

jsMJAWb.gif
This discussion has been closed.