The most bang for your buck - 400 Calories or less

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Trying to start a fun thread:

If you had only 400 calories left at the end of the day for dinner, what would you eat to get the most bang for your buck (a.k.a what will make you feel the most full on 400 cals)?

I'm asking this because I sometimes end up with 400-500 cals left in my daily total and am running out of ideas..

I would make a breakfast for dinner (one of my favorites):

-2 fried eggs: 180 calories
    - 1 piece of whole-grain toast: 80 calories
    - 3 strips of turkey bacon - 75 calories
    - 1 tbs sugar free raspberry jam: 25 calories

Grand total: 360 calories
    Why do turkey fakin' for 75 calories when you can do real bacon for 90? Especially when real bacon is actually healthier...

For me, 3 egg omelette with bacon and cheese.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was going to say spaghetti squash and pasta sauce, but I see that was your first answer. Tonight I added an 80 calorie Quorn chik'n cutlet, and it was even better. When I am really looking to cut calories, I find spaghetti squash and pasta sauce to be the best filler for very little calories.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Salmon over Zucchini Noodles tossed with Thai Peanut Sauce Sprinkled with Cashews - 350 Calories
  • norcaligirl72
    norcaligirl72 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Shrimp curry made with almond milk and the stir fry veggies from Costco. 20 Shrimp are like 100 calories, 40 calories per cup of the veggies and 1 entire cup of almond milk is 30 calories... Plus a big green leaf lettuce salad with english cucumber and dressing made with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and balsamic vinegar... I will be stuffed!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    a grilled chicken salad would be my choice, lots of veges and 4 ozs grilled chicken breast- veges keep me full for a long time

another thing I really love is a turkey and guacamole sandwich
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lexiek47
    lexiek47 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Shrimp and Edamame with loads of black pepper :)
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My go-to is always eggs. Can't get enough eggs. And they go with EVERYTHING!
  • aphroditesmaiden
    aphroditesmaiden Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup dry steel cut oats - 300 calories and 1 cup frozen mixed berries 70 calories

OR

1 Amy's Frozen Organic Mac n Cheese - 400 calories

OR

Tomato, squash, mushrooms, and some kind of meat. That usually doesn't even equal 300 calories because of how crazy low cal squash seems to be.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    PBPopTartsHP.jpg

2 pop tarts= 400 calories. End of thread.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    chicken 6 ounces (protein, a bit extra) 180 calories, sweet potatoi (full of fiber keeps me ful) 120 calories with a pat of brummel or brown and a bit of honey about 150 and some roasted broccoli all told about 450 calories full of fiber, some fat and good protein, satiating.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you are anal cut the honey and butter, under 400 or cut protein to 4 ounces.:smile:
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'd do chicken breast ! 1.5 Cups .. is under 400 and low carbs and packed with protein .. so it feels you up! :)
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    PBPopTartsHP.jpg

2 pop tarts= 400 calories. End of thread.

These look so good!!!! If only they didn't go straight to the hips! :P
  • mummafenwick16
    mummafenwick16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    2 cups roast pumpkin with a dressing made up of low fat greek yog, dijon mustard, lemon juice and oodles of pepper. Served on fresh baby spinach with sunflower seeds on top. Soooo good
  • Rocklinite
    Rocklinite Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here. I would put a homemade marinara sauce with turkey and mushrooms over sliced pan fried (olive oil) polenta. It's filling and pretty low calories. I like the breakfast idea. I think I'll do that tomorrow.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and some kind of tuna/squash thing to satisfy the drunken munchies if that floats your boat. Word of warning: anything that involves cutting back on carbs has the potential to make that same two drinks go further than you remember, even if said cutting back is on the conservative side. Increasing exercise can do more of the same.
  • laurenhugs23
    laurenhugs23 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Lots of these sounds delicious!
  • toadoftoadhall
    toadoftoadhall Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Trying to start a fun thread:

If you had only 400 calories left at the end of the day for dinner, what would you eat to get the most bang for your buck (a.k.a what will make you feel the most full on 400 cals)?

I'm asking this because I sometimes end up with 400-500 cals left in my daily total and am running out of ideas..

I would make a breakfast for dinner (one of my favorites):

-2 fried eggs: 180 calories
    - 1 piece of whole-grain toast: 80 calories
    - 3 strips of turkey bacon - 75 calories
    - 1 tbs sugar free raspberry jam: 25 calories

Grand total: 360 calories
    Why do turkey fakin' for 75 calories when you can do real bacon for 90? Especially when real bacon is actually healthier...

For me, 3 egg omelette with bacon and cheese.

Because some people can't eat real bacon? I can't.

As for low calorie options, here in Germany we have these super fine 'pizza' bases called flammkuchen. They're literally about 2mm thick. Last night I made up a pizza with Indian tandoori paste, chicken, peas, cashews and greek yoghurt and 2 slices came to 200 calories. With sides of any vegge you like, it's satisfying and feels a little naughty at the same time ;)