At the risk of offending vegetarians....

Options

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    ham_meat_head_halloween.jpg

I wouldeat this.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Jim Gaffigan already addressed this

He's as funny as cancer.

....... keep listening to Dane Cook.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    ....why the F**K would you make your food look like meat?

Vegetarian bacon, chops, mince, sausages, burgers, kievs, Hot dogs.....WHY??????

We carnivores don't make veg shaped meat products.....

The only time I eat anything that looks like meat is when I have a veggie burger on the bbq during the summer. Other than that, I stay away from anything vegetarian that looks like "meat". It just seems...odd.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Good question. I have another... Why do the chicken commercials (Tyson I think, idk for sure) say that their chickens are fed a vegetarian diet only?
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Good question. I have another... Why do the chicken commercials (Tyson I think, idk for sure) say that their chickens are fed a vegetarian diet only?

A) Chickens are vegetarian. B) People have problems with chickens that eat chicken.
  • ChetThaker
    ChetThaker Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Vegetarian bacon, chops, mince, sausages, burgers, kievs, Hot dogs.....WHY??????

I think the vegetarians just buy this stuff but the question is probably better directed to the manufacturers of the products. However, this is probably more for the ex-carnivores who miss the taste & texture etc.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

This looks like a "gotcha" question, but I'm not sure what the desired outcome is...
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

A) Chickens are vegetarian. B) People have problems with chickens that eat chicken.

But a chicken that ate chicken would taste more chickeny.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    When did we decide animals should be meat shaped and cooked into things like hamburgers, hot dogs, deli slices? These are constructs of the human imagination that formed a massive animal into another product/image. We are just applying the same construction by using different ingredients. Now are those highly processed faux meats all that great for you? That's another story altogether.

I think, if I remember correctly, that the construct of the shapes of our food came from the days when we were not a throwaway society, and waste was frowned upon. Y'know back in the day when people knew where their food came from, and it wasn't a grocery store.

In those days, nothing was wasted on an animal and it was all used in some fashion. Once you got beyond the convenient ribs, steaks, chops, hams, roasts, etc. You still had scraps of meat and fat that were left over. These were generally ground up and in some cases mixed with grains and spices and stuffed into the intestinal lining to form sausages. That's where that shape came from.

Ground beef is still made by taking the scrap meat, and adding fat to it and grinding it to a mass. The easiest way to cook that mass? Mash it all together into a ball so it doesn't ccrumble and fall apart. The flattening of the ball into a patty allows the meat to be be cooked thoroughly and evenly in a short amount of time.

There are still those constructs of heating and cooking evenly that apply to vegetarian foods. There is also the concept of follwoing tradition. Much like most sausages today aren't made of intestinal casings (only the tastiest are) yet we continue to package our sausages in tubes.
  • scottaworley
    Options

PEOPLE have problems with chicken that eat chickens. I'm not people. Preachin to the choir.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

PEOPLE have problems with chicken that eat chickens. I'm not people. Preachin to the choir.

.... touche.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I know this was a joke, but I wanted to point out that cannibalism, in any species, leads to disease... AKA mad cow disease.
  • I_Like_To_Exercise
    Options
    As a former vegetarian...the key to offending them is to open your mouth and have sound come out. They will take it personally.

Also, hypocrisy seems to be the primary reason for meat shaped non-meat. But I'm not bitter about my own stupidity. I'm FINE.
    Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

Do you know how many "ethical" vegetarians eat meat when no one is looking? People who decide not to eat meat for other reasons are usually misinformed about quality protein, from my experience.

By definition, no vegetarian will eat meat, no matter who is "looking". If they sneak meat..They're sneaky meat-eaters. There are many liars, cheats, and sneaks in this world, but they are their own worst enemies. ...

By the way, are you always this bitter, or just when you discuss your "former vegetarian" life?
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    He's as funny as cancer.
    You sir have just lost all credibility. Jim Gaffigan is one of the funniest comedians of all time.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    He's as funny as cancer.
    You sir have just lost all credibility. Jim Gaffigan is one of the funniest comedians of all time.

Is he going to do that voice the whole time?
  • I_Like_To_Exercise
    Options

It's convenient...Don't eat a lot of it, but: Tortillas, sandwich rolls, hot dog buns etc, all lend themselves to the fajita shape, the sausage shape, the patty. When we grill with flesh eaters we can all use the same grain-based products to keep from burning our hands.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi

Veggie here (since the age of 5)

All i can add to this is that i use 'fake' meat in our house as all the meals look similar.

We have meat eaters and vegetarians in our house so if we are having a spaghetti bolognese for example then its easy to use 'real' meat for the meat eaters and 'fake' meat for the non-meat eaters - everyones happy and everyone is having a similar meal!

Also - not seing how a chicken nugget shape can be defined as a 'meat' shape - not sure i have ever seen a chicken nugget shaped chicken? (or a hot dog shaped dog?) surely these are generic shapes used for 'food'??

Sometimes its easy to pick on certain 'life style' choice - perhaps you should find a better subject matter?

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Lmao. Ok, you are now defining what 'meat' looks like. Processed and ground up animal carcasses have become defined as 'meat' in your mind because the modern food industry serves them up that way. Sorry, but hot dogs do not actually resemble a pig. And ground beef does not actually resemble a cow.

And btw, you are an omnivore, not a carnivore, unless you are a dog..... (?)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Soy sausage is delicious, and that is reason enough for it to exist. Also, if the world were fair, and not driven by marketing, meat alternatives would be cheaper than meat, and would provide viable, nutritious alternatives for low cost meals. Veggie protein adds texture to veggie chili, for example.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    So, basically the reasons are:
    1. Ethical vegetarians who still love the taste of meat.
    2. Fitting in with meat eaters for social events.
    3. Convenience.
This discussion has been closed.