Besides yourself and a mirror, who gave you a wake-up call?

Options

Replies

• MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    The realisation that I got out of breath walking up a flight of stairs at the age of 23
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    My father having a stage 2 cancerous growth in his colon. The recovery was not smooth. I saw vomit up green bile and had to take care of him. I love the old guy, but he never hit the gym. He is and was a blob of crap on a couch.

I also found out I am hypothyroid during his time of illness. I made sure I did not make the same mistakes. I sought treatment. I found a new primary health provider. I wanted better. When I started, I was 238 pounds. Now, I am 199 pounds.
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    I learned to ignore the mirror.

Now, when I saw a vid of myself doing one of the dancing games on the Wii, daaammmn, that opened my eyes.:noway:
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight, my wake-up call was knowing that I needed new clothes but getting depressed every time I went to the store. I was up to 207 pounds, size 16 pants, and I could no longer hide my flab in XL shirts. In reality, I didn't look all that big - but at the time, I felt horrible. I lost 35 pounds, and kept it off for two years........and then it took one surgery and three months of being sedentary to gain most of it back

This is the second time. My wake-up call was seeing 200 on the scale again. I'm embarrassed to wear most of the clothes that I was looking fab in this time last year. I'm really struggling to lose this time around, but my goal is be back to where I was (and perhaps a little more toned) by my birthday in January. I have an event in January I want to look good for, and then hopefully I'll lose the other/final 30+ pounds by this time next year. EDIT - Also, one of my friends really likes taking pictures, and I'm the biggest one in group photos. I'm not sure if that's different from the mirror. I'm not that big this time around, either. I'm even okay with what I look like...just not when I'm wearing clothes or in group pictures with thin or medium-sized people.

Good luck to you all - great stories!
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Back in Dec 2012, a friend/coworker asked if I wanted to run a 7k..well lets just say that I was no where near running capabilities. I toyed with the idea for about 2 weeks, then finally decided to commit to it. She has been the only person aside from family that makes sure I am on track. She left our agency in May and since then I send her my weekly weightloss. If I forget, I get a text asking where her weigh in is. She also keeps me motivated along the way. @ 50 lbs down, she got my hair cut and highlighted. @ 75 down, we are going to get massages together. I'm only 9 lbs away from that damn massage LOL

I owe her my life...literally.
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Ever so true.

Here I am, about 19kg lost, and one of the negative pr1cks at my Tuesday night men's gathering said, last night, "Look at RW, He's consistent ... been fat for 20 years ... he'll always be fat ... can't help it."

I was burning with anger. This bloke who has known me since the 1980s surely must have noticed that I am the lightest he's ever seen me.

- - -

"Hell, no," I thought, "I am doing this for me and my longevity and my grandkids ... not for some ignorant pr1ck mouthing off in a bar."

I smugly shifted my thoughts to, "well, he's not beaten nicotine or his gambling addiction that's ruined his two marriages and several relationships and caused his long-suffering kids to avoid him."

"I am working to change me ... and it's working ... he's just ignorant or jealous in some way ... F**K HIM!"
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Getting into commercial/fashion photography, lol.
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes, seeing photos or videos of oneself taken by others can be a real eye-opener to the soul of an obese person.

I tended, in the past, to be "inside me looking out". Now I study how I look in the picture/video evidence others send me of family gatherings or social events.
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My mom, my mother-in-law, everybody in my family, really. I put it on so incredibly quickly, everybody has been worried about me. I don't blame them, I'm worried about me too.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    my mom thought it was necessary to remind me i was "really letting myself go" and "you cant even do X exercise anymore".
  • kfavulous
    kfavulous Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i made a sex tape with a hot, buff hockey player....watched it, just about cried at the jiggles.... i'm still banging him, but am kinda self conscious about the waist....
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    my husband and not in a good way
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I was going to a concert with a guy i had a crush on and went to the stores with my mom and sisters to find a cute dress to wear. Everything that i could squeeze into looked terrible on me. Before i had gained all this weight i was used to dresses/skirts generally being a failsafe since they were so flattering. I left the store with nothing, got into the car and promptly starting crying hysterically. My poor mom! Talk about an awkward situation. Its not like she could comfort me and say that i wasnt fat, considering i couldnt fit into anything. She just looked really sad and after trying to comfort me, drove to the only plus sized store in our town. I was officially plus sized. That was my wake up call.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    My pictures, I always hated to take pictures because I look chubby and ugly in it. I been avoiding it for so long. Recently I saw pictures of me (of course taken w/o my consent by my friends + forced to lol) I knew it is time to do it and do it seriously because I can't stand that fat tummy and legs.
  • paperinacup1
    Options
    Ex-fiance. Told me straight out that I may weight has gotten out of hand. She was extremely high maintenance and refused to sugar coat anything. But her rudeness made me think about it.
  • aprilscott11
    Options
    My children made comments about my weight all the time. Kids are not afraid to call fat fat.
  • kimcain2545
    Options
    Hi there...I just joined....I got this site from a nutritionist at the hsopital. I have diebetus and I am over weight. I am hoping to loose about 20 pounds or so by January as it is my birthday then and I will be the big 50. In the meantime, when I went to the nutritionist yesterday, things were eliminated from my diet. Yikes!!! I think I'm gonna starve.!!!! (It's all those nice fatty yummy things that I really have to cut right back on). So, if anyone has anything to comment on here to me or any advice, please do:)
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    When my doctor wrote several prescriptions(GERD, HBP and Diabetes) and told me I was killing myself along with taking that dreadful look in the mirror. I knew I was unhealthy all along, yet I was in denial.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    No one every told me I was overweight, I wish they did!! I was actually obese.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had to get a physical for a local temp agency....when I saw the weight on their I about fainted. The only time I had been that heavy was when I was pregnant with my second and close to delivering. My eating disorder had been in remission for a while so I felt like I could just do whatever...I was depressed and unhappy with my life. But seeing that number was enough to make me realize something was wrong, and I needed to face my issues. Unfortunately it meant that I would be triggered big time when I started MFP, and I was out of control again with the purging....so I went to see the nutritionist at work who helped me get back on track but in a healthy way, and help me to start facing the disorder again so I can be healthy and lose weight safely and eventually maintain the new weight, and keep being in control of my disorder instead of my disorder and feelings and emotions controlling me. Seeing her every two weeks helps me keep on top of this.