Body pump as weight training ?

Options
12346»

Replies

• gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this answer has already been given, I gave up reading through all of the posts due to the arguing lol. I did body pump WHILE losing the majority of my weight, when I got to where I wanted, I had some pretty killer muscles, especially in my quads, BUT I am a bit of an over acheiver and when the instructor would say 5-7.5lbs I would do 15...naturally I would tire out faster therefore doing less reps. It is cardio, my heart definitely gets going, BUT it has taught me proper form so that I have a little more confidence to actually go out on the floor. So would I recommend it as a beginner to weight training? Absolutely! Will you get the cut clean muscles you want? Not without heavier weights and lower reps, but it is a start, and it's definitely better than not doing anything. Best of luck in whatever you do :)

Well then you're not doing the class how it is intended to be taken and means you're lifting heavier, doing less reps which is what the pro heavy lifters are arguing is better than pump.
  • mariah_papaya
    mariah_papaya Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is, I love this class and regularly burn 400+ calories in an hour doing it. Judging by the soreness factor, and the fact that I am continually upping my weights, and that IMHO I am looking rather stacked, my muscles are working, HARD! That being said, I always put on the absolute MAX weight I can handle, and I see a lot of women with those little Barbie weights in that class -- can pretty much guarantee that that's not going to do anything. It's energetic and the music is fun and it's just a great atmosphere. I'd say if you like it, do it! It's certainly not doing me any harm.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Take weights and carry them
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is, I love this class and regularly burn 400+ calories in an hour doing it. Judging by the soreness factor, and the fact that I am continually upping my weights, and that IMHO I am looking rather stacked, my muscles are working, HARD! That being said, I always put on the absolute MAX weight I can handle, and I see a lot of women with those little Barbie weights in that class -- can pretty much guarantee that that's not going to do anything. It's energetic and the music is fun and it's just a great atmosphere. I'd say if you like it, do it! It's certainly not doing me any harm.

First...you do look great :).

Second...as you said yourself, you're not performing it as its designed to be performed...which is a good thing! What you're doing though isn't really 'building' muscle. If you're eating on a caloric surplus, you might build some very small amount of muscle with higher weight endurance stuff...what's most likely going on is that your body is storing substantial amounts of glycogen in anticipation of the extensive work you're doing regularly. Glycogen is carried in water, and the mix is what makes your muscles swell and look/feel larger/firmer when you're working out and eating at a deficit.

Third...after the first week or two of strength training, I'm never 'sore' beyond a wicked feeling of tightness and strength. I also never 'feel the burn' lol. When my muscles are out of energy...they just...stop. I have about a one rep warning that this is going to happen lol.

Anyhow...I'm in no way belittling your efforts! I'm glad its working for you...and even moreso that you enjoy it :). I would absolutely LOVE to see your response to a true strength training routine though lol.
  • swishandflick
    Options
    This is an oldish thread but really great read. I've been doing body pump for 6 months now...usually 2-3x a week and I do spinning 3x a week.

I had actually been doing body pump as my "weight training" thing. I've always been skinny fat so working out regularly was completely new to me and I probably didn't do the research needed.

I'm happy with the results so far. I've lost 10 pounds, I'm at my goal weight (120 at 5'5), and I've noticed that my muscles feel ever so slightly firmer and I'm just able to get around more easily without wimping out. It's great....HOWEVER, it's time for me to take it to the next level. I'm pear shaped and while my butt jiggles less now, I want it to be high and proud lol. Guess I'll have to give heavier lifting a try...even if it's when other people aren't around.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You can do bodyweight exercise and dance using zumba ;)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why those who actually put heavier weights on their bar are told they're not "doing the class as designed". Had you guys even ever taken the class before? Many instructors will encourage you to add more weight and take breaks if need be. There's nothing abnormal about going heavy in BodyPump, but since the class is for "everyone", the instructors are not going to call out or otherwise make people feel uncomfortable who do light weights.
  • bondgirl13
    bondgirl13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Actually, a few people here are insisting it's just cardio. If you have weights in your hand, it can be considered weight training, low rep, high rep, it doesn't matter. Everyone's definition of "weight training" is different. I have moved away from these kind of classes as my primary source of weight lifting, now spending a lot of time in the free weights area with barbells.. I still consider both to be weight lifting, one just has more cardio involved than the other.

That's great that you consider it both. That's great that you consider anything involving weight 'weight training'. There is actually a set standard of what is considered 'weight training' (or more correctly stated 'strength training'), and what is considered endurance/cardio.

Bodypump is absolutely the latter.

OK well "that's great" that you feel this way. I personally don't care :laugh:

If you pick up a weight during a cardio session, it becomes more than just a cardio session. The standard is what YOU set in your mind. Telling someone to jump into the free weights area because you don't consider a workout that incorporates weights in your standards doesn't mean it is any less part of the general scope of weight training.

It's not just me...it's a fitness industry standard...used so everyone can be on the same page when they discuss exercise programs (instead of just flinging wild opinions based on how they 'feel'). Go argue it with the people that developed it.

And I didn't tell her to jump into freeweights. You might take a look at what was actually written before replying next time.
    Actually, I think you are confusing Strength or muscular endurance with cardiovascular endurance. Muscular endurance strength type training is the high rep low weight configuration that is utilized in a body pump class as distinct from a cardio vascular endurance session which is training within particular heart rate ranges and percentages of lactate threshold..two different kettles fish. Body pump would not often fit into those heart rate parameters to make it a cardiovascular endurance workout..it is a strength(muscular) endurance program and has a valid place in a persons reportior if it pertains to their personal goals.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Wow, the snobbery. Look, I have to start somewhere. I didn't even know how to do a squat or a push-up right when I started. I can't "lift heavy" yet. The weights in bodypump class are the most I can lift right now. Granted, if I only had to do five reps instead of five minutes of reps, I could lift a little more, but not a lot more. I don't feel that the high reps are holding me back so far, because my strength is so deficient in the first place. I've read on here that Olympic barbells are 45 pounds with no weight on them. I could probably lift that off the ground a few times, but bench press or over my head? No way, not happening, I'd probably hurt myself. I don't think that bodypump class is a worthless waste of my time, at least not yet while I'm at a beginner level. Telling people who *can't* lift heavy weights that their efforts are worthless is not true or helpful.
  • tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think it works good if you keep adding weight to your bar as you get stronger. I'm not saying it's better than hitting up the weight room but if you are a beginner or do not like going in the weight room with a bunch of body builder men then do body pump.

I would do it atleast 2-3 times a week though. I have definately noticed an increase in my muscle definaition and my butt had definately lifted and became more round and a lot less cellulite on my legs. So it must help!

I also do boot camp type classes 2 times a week also that incorporate using your own body for resistance along with free weights and plyometrics.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think pump falls somewhere between cardio and lifting....

It seems to me it would too. I just heard about body pump the other day, and was watching some videos on youtube and read the stuff on their site. Though I'm pretty beginner I've done a *lot* of reading on various blogs, books, and forums about strength training. When I saw body pump I thought..huh, well that's probably not *as* effective for pure strength and muscle as the heavy weights lower reps stuff I've been hearing is the best..but boy that looks pretty intense.

But I think whether it "counts" as strength training (will it build muscle and strength) probably depends a lot on your level. I'm pretty beginner. I've done mostly things that are pretty purely cardio (ie zumba) and my 'strength training' so far consists of doing things with 5-8lb dumbells (slowly trying to level up). Working out with DVDs like Petra Kolber's strength for beginners or that spark people 28 day bootcamp (which is probably only 'bootcamp' if you are a beginner like me). I can't even do a squat all the way to parallel yet, I have a long way to go.

So say I go to body pump class...and start doing a bunch of lifts and squats and things with barbells ..'low' weight, many reps, in a guided class environment regularly...and I manage to not keel over, and I keep going for a few months. Well I just can't imagine I wouldn't be better off strength wise than before I doing this. It would be a BIG step up, and I'm absolutely sure I'd end up stronger. So I think it is strength training in that sense...even if its going to specifically build strength as much or as fast as higher weight lower reps slower speed pure lifting might.., its still going to build more strength for me than say zumba.... or the far too many female oriented classes that seem to encourage 3 lb barbie weights (cause gawd forbid we actually develop a muscle). So yeah, somewhere in between, I think there is a lot of grey area.

Also..someone said something about a person lifting just the bar in class so why are they there. I have a proper weight set in the basement I got for free..planning ahead for the future. I don't know if its standard or not, or how much those bars typically weigh, but the bar alone seems fairly heavy to me. So there is a good chance if I went to a class like that I'd be one of those with just the bar for a while (or heck maybe not even that at first) and feeling pretty self conscious about it, till I leveled up, which I'd be hoping to do as soon as I could safely.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Actually, I can pick up the standard BodyPump bar with my pinkie, but there is an option to do the squats and lunges tracks with no bar at all :D. The bar actually maxes out at 30kg that can be applied to it, but they have a newer type that can handle more. I'm not sure what the new bar alone weighs, but most gyms I've been to have the "old" equipment.
  • giveMEbeauty
    Options
    Bump
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Another counterpoint to the people who say that higher reps with lower weights is pointless: One of the reasons I want to increase my strength is to make daily life things easier, like carrying bags of heavy groceries. That involves carrying something for a while without stopping, not briefly picking it up and setting it down a few times. I have definitely noticed improvement in my ability to do this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's like people want to make up their own separate reality in here. If you don't want to lift heavy, then don't. If you want to do bodypump, then do it. No one cares either way. We're just letting you know that bodypump is *not* lifting heavy. Not by any stretch of the imagination. If you wish to believe that lifting something for a minute or so is very similar to lifting something where you max out at 5-10 reps, then go right ahead. It's not true, but if it makes you feel better, keep believing it.

If, as some here are postulating, your only other choice is doing nothing, then by all means keep doing it. It's beneficial, as all cardio is. But it's still cardio, even if you want to say it's not. You can call it mountain climbing, for all I care.