Advice on helping a 9yr old with being healthier?

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GO LOW CARB. DO NOT MAKE HER WEIGH HERSELF.

Sounds like you are doing everything you can and that she's not in danger of becoming unhealthy. Let her be. As she gets older hopefully she'll want to make better choices at her dads. At this stage in her life her mental health and self esteem are a lot more important than a few pounds above "ideal". It's just a few pounds. It's important that we not transfer our "issues" to our children. I know you want her to be healthy and not make the same mistakes you did (or whatever) but really she's fine.
  • michmill98
    Options
    Not a mom but I'm an aunt to 6 nieces so that's close, right? :)

Anyway, with my brother-in-law's four girls, they all put on weight in the tummy area right before a growth spurt. The youngest is 10 and between Christmas and May (we live in another state so we don't see them all the time), L.S. had put on a few pounds. Just got a picture of her and her oldest sister when they were moving the oldest into the dorms and she had grown about 2-3 inches since May and lost the tummy. She does recreational gymnastics and some dance but nothing extreme. TV time is minimal since they don't have cable so if it's on, it's a movie or the girls are playing the Wii. They usually eat at home and I know my sister-in-law rarely buys junk food although she makes a mean monster cookie!

So if it was me, I'd just make sure that your daughter had healthy options to eat at your place and see if she has a growth spurt over the next couple of months. Keep her active, but don't make is seem like "forced" exercise - like others have said, do recreational activities with her. Since she likes to play softball, there's always fielding and batting practice. Take small opportunities to teach, NOT PREACH, how to make healthy choices, such as letting her pick out a new veggie and research ways to prepare it or get her involved with cooking dinner.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I just read the part about the dad's weekends. I don't think eating donuts every 15 days would be that much of a contributing factor in her weight gain if she's eating healthy the rest of the time. And the pediatrician's already told you she's within range.

To get the point across to super-dad, maybe try:
    1) Sending healthy snacks with her.
    2) Asking him to think long-term of the effects of this junk he's feeding her. The food may seem cheaper now, but it won't be if you have to pay for a diabetics doctor, endocrinologist and/or nutritionist down the road.
    3) Educating her, so that she ASKS for healthier options.

In my case, mom is who feeds my stepson the junk, a regular meal will be boxed mac and cheese with chicken nuggets (YUCK and YUCK), school lunches are potato chips, afternoon snacks are donuts and stuff like that. I know how hard it is... some people are just plain dumb.
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    dont focus so much on her actual weight but on what she is eating. Slowly change her eating habits and get her more active and she will be healthier.
  • i_am_melting
    Options
    Model appropriate eating (food choices) and staying active.
    Encourage being active together. Playing ball, bike ride, going to the park.
    Buy healthy snacks and meal options. If you need to, put them in single serving containers.(so it is a single serving of cereal and not half the box)

Try your best without putting an emphasis on weight and body issues.
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    As a mom to a 9 year old, I can understand your concerns. However, my daughter is pretty healthy weight wise. She does have one slight advantage that she is tall for her age. We joke that in another year or two she will pass me up (I'm 5'1"). In our house, the rule is no desserts or sweets two nights in a row (unless it's a special occassion). NO SODA!! I have never given my kids soda and they actually don't like the taste of it having tried it once or twice. They are strictly milk (1%, per our pediatrician) or water girls. I don't make them finish their plates if they are not hungry and they have to eat at least 1-2 fruits or veggies a day. We don't eat out on a regular basis so that helps too. Another advantage we had was that we had the BEST sitter from the time they were babies. Our sitter exposed them to fruits and veggies (even for breakfast) so they are good about eating their fruits and veggies.

If your 9 year old is anything like mine, she likes going to the mall. Tell her you are going to do some window shopping and walk her around the mall for 30-45 mins. She'll never know you are adding some exercise to her day. And we do try to walk to the park (about 10 mins each way) once or twice a week; mostly on the weekends.

Hope that helps.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are.

Just keep doing what you are doing, keep a full bowl of fruit around for snacks.. veggie nibbles in the fridge. Give her the choices.

You cannot change what she has at her fathers, the more you try and change, the more he'll dig in and fight back. In fact, have the snacks that he feeds on hand in moderation. That way you arn't the "bad person" or the "no fun parent"

Its no fun being the other parent, I would ground my daughter for pretty serious things, then he would "unground" her on weekends.

Good Luck, lifes about to get a bit bumpy
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with the others and don't mention "diet." Just say the whole family is going to get healthy.

Why not find a local farmers market and take her shopping on the weekend? You can pick up ingredients for a healthy meal. Teach her the skills to eat healthy now so as she grows up, it will be the norm. When you're at the market discuss what is "always" food (veggies, fruits, lean protein) and what is "sometimes" food (breads, cookies, pastries, ice cream) etc.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    there are ALOT of children cook books that are fun for both of you to use and look thru. I did with my daughter an we would pick out something good to eat and make it. And then discuss why it was good and how to make it better for you.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Being a parent is tricky isn't it! Some suggestions from another mum.
    - Do not mention the word fat, heavy or diet. If you talk about the situation with her at all mention health.
    - Make healthy changes a family thing like going to the park or not having certain foods in the house. This will let her know it is not all about her.
    - also be aware that sometimes children bulk up a little before they have a growth spurt.
    - make sure she eats healthy food most of the time and moves her body.
    Hope some of these suggestions help!

^ this.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I know it's been said but I have to reiterate. Please please don't weigh her in every week. That's a recipe for self esteem issues. As long as she's reasonably active and eating healthy food most of the time, she's fine.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I won't be a mum for a good few years hopefully, but I would just like to emphasize what others have said about you not mentioning weight to your child. One of the worst moments in my life were definitely the ones where my mother said to me "you need to lose at least 20kg!" and "what?? you don't even fit in size 42 anymore?". And all I did was mimick my parents unhealthy eating habits.
  • Junie2013
    Options
    Please, please, please do not go low carb or weigh your daughter or do anything else weird with your food.

A cautionary tale: My parents became what was called a 'health food nut' in the 70's and they imposed all of their eating habits on my brother and I. They were very strict and everything had to be bought at health food and vitamin shops. No trick-or-treating, no birthday cake. As a result, the second I was out of their control, I started highly disordered eating. I ate no breakfast and lied about it (because the orange juice had cod liver oil mixed into it and the cereal was 100% bran) I used my 25 cents for milk money to buy an ice cream bar for lunch every day in the school cafeteria. I threw away my brown bagged lunch of 'health food' *every day*. I bought ring dings and other forbidden goodies from the kids at school with money that I pilfered from my dad's pocket change. I went to friend's homes after school and ate as much sugared cereal and cookies and chips as I could get my hands on. The only real food I ate was a bit of whatever mom made for dinner. I came to see healthy food as gross. Sugar was my drug of choice.

It took me *at least* 20 years to start eating a reasonably balanced diet again. Then when I started to have weight problems, I embarked on all kinds of restrictive and unmanageable healthy eating plans to try and lose weight. This only caused more rebelling (against myself this time), but you can see how this was another behavior that I learned way back as a 7 yr old. Please let her be. I see kids chunk up, then grow 4 inches overnight all the time. Please consider that any interventions you impose now, outside of a normal balanced diet and active playtime is likely to resonate with her through her whole life.
  • jmyrtle
    jmyrtle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    my daughter is 9 and in the same boat, I have incorporate healthy eating in her diet also, so for example when we go to a restaurant she cannot choose the mac and cheese, fried chi, hot dog, pizza, etc...I have too we opt for grilled, or fish,with veggies, or a adult meal I split between both kids. Or we do soup and salad, also she has been enjoying walking the treadmill while she watches her sitcom, cartoon on the iPad with a bit of resistance. It is up to us parents to help guide good choices, like fresh fruits or homemade, and of course treats like a piece of pie or ice cream cake, etc...all in moderation of course. Best of luck and feel free to email me further to swap mores tricks.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 9. About 4ft 5inches and weighs in at 75.5lbs. I googled dozens of different calculators for the appropriate weight based on height/age/gender for her and the range of answers was not terribly helpful. I realize that her BMI (based on online calculators) is within a "normal" range. But she has developed a pudgey/cellulite looking midsection and is clearly slightly bigger than classmates.

Trying not to alarm her or point it out and keep up a positive self body image and just change her diet in a healthy way. Not particularly sporty, only doing softball for 2 months out of the year.

Just curious for tips on a goal to set and ways to get there and such.

Are you a good parent? I assume so since you seem concerned. Do you let her eat candy and soda every day? Does she leave an imprint on the couch when she leaves? does she watch more TV than you do? If the answer to these is no, and she plays outside with friends every day after school then you should do nothing, she's a kid, she'll lose any excess she's carrying soon enough. As long as she's active she'll be fine.

Now, if the answer to all those (save for the playing with friends) and she starts to really get big, it may be a medical thing, consult pediatrician.

Finally, if the answer to the questions is yes, then you need to figure out why your parenting sucks. I doubt this is the case since, as I said, you seem concerned, but hey, you never know.

Rigger
  • LaColombicana
    LaColombicana Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Most girls gain weight right before reaching puberty, but you may want to do some fun things outdoors. I have a 6 yr old and we ride bike, go for walks, play frisbee, kick around a soccer ball, swimming classes, etc. You may see if she wants to do cheerleading, dance, swimming, skating anything where she is having fun and exercising.

I am a nurse and most girls gain weight in preparedness for puberty. It's perfectly normal and natural. Some girls do gain more than others...just try to get her active and make it fun. My oldest daughter gained weight around 9 or 10 and I made sure she was out riding her bike and playing with other kids. You do not want her to get a complex and start having self esteem issues....so please be delicate and patient. Best of luck!
  • emmaninek
    Options
    Thank you all again. I must say I had not thought about the gaining weight in preparation for puberty. All of my other children are older and boys and did not experience this.

Again for those of you that keep harping on my poor parenting skills, we actually don't watch television and she doesn't sit on an ipod or video game all day. But she is more of a crafter vs outdoors/sports. And 3 weekends a month with Dad and eating out every meal and having donuts and Dew at home do take a toll. I can count on one hand the number of times in my years of being a parent that I've bought ice cream or soda. There are no chips or cookies or cakes in the house. I was a cracker, fruit and carrot snacker as a child and thats my kids options as well. I've thought recently that crackers probably aren't the best and replaced them with almonds and salami and cheese.

My daughter has always been a good eater which I always praised at a young age (after the one older being a picky eater), so she eats salads of her own volition. She just seems to eat alot more than the boys do.

And thank you for the tips on not weighing or measuring. I was up in the air about that, but after reading accounts it probably wouldn't be good to go down that route. She has a positive self body image and has never expressed concerns about it herself, I just didn't want it to get to a point where it was out of control.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You are not a bad parent. You are concerned for your child. A little too concerned in my opinion, but don't let the Judgey McJudgersons get to you. Your concern is a product of statistics and our society's disordered thinking about weight. Because you are concerned about your child ending up in the same boat that brought you to this site in the first place, you are basically trying to catch the issue before it's a problem. That's good.

But the rules for children are completely different than adults. A good growth spurt can turn your slightly chubby child into a beanpole virtually overnight. It's just their nature. What healthcare professions forget to do is educate parents about these little truths. If they say anything at all, they give you a non-committal answer that makes you feel stupid for asking or worse, you get a bad doctor who gives you bad advice.

Your daughter is fine, especially the way you say she lives and eats.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 9. About 4ft 5inches and weighs in at 75.5lbs. I googled dozens of different calculators for the appropriate weight based on height/age/gender for her and the range of answers was not terribly helpful. I realize that her BMI (based on online calculators) is within a "normal" range. But she has developed a pudgey/cellulite looking midsection and is clearly slightly bigger than classmates.

Trying not to alarm her or point it out and keep up a positive self body image and just change her diet in a healthy way. Not particularly sporty, only doing softball for 2 months out of the year.

Just curious for tips on a goal to set and ways to get there and such.
    at 9, many kids develop that pudgy midsection so THAT is an indication of nothing.

At the same time, it is a good idea for *the whole family* to move to a healthier lifestyle. don't make any big announcements, don't make this *about her*. just start to slowly incorporate healthier choices. so one is to focus on the food - make sure you are all eating healthy, fresh salads, fresh veggies, maybe make a "meatless monday". involve her (and other chidren) in cooking and planning. learn together how to read labels. all the while make sure that the the word "diet" and "overweight" do not come into play. the second aspect is to focus on "play" time - make sure that she is active. get a bike, get her involved in sports (dance, judo, zumba, walk around the block). put aside family outdoors time - go to a park, go on a hike, go rowboating. if you have a yard, then use it for playing. if you invite people over for a summer BBQ - make sure to pull out a bag of yard toys and let the kids play. initiate "family thanksgiving football game", "family summer baseball league" etc.
  • RunningSwede
    RunningSwede Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I might recommend it being a family event and not something directed at your 9yo. As I'm sure you already are, I'd simply start making healthy choices with family meals, controlling portions, and then follow dinner up with family walks, etc. Best wishes for you and your daughter.
This discussion has been closed.