We actually need SO little to survive

Options
So my net calorie goal is 1000 per day. Somewhere in my calculations I am missing something on the number of calories I am eating or on how many calories I am actually burning because my weight is stable. SO... I guess I'll have to try and eat less. But I feel like I am eating so little right now (even though I am not really). Compared to before though I guess it feels like very little.

SO here we go. Sugar comes out of the coffee, Homemade breakfast so I can control the salt and sugar. Carbs reduced to veggies only (no starchy veggies). I'll try to get a run in the morning if I can get to bed early enough.

My stomach looks flatter so maybe IU am just shifting the weight around a bit. AND, I might be retaining water....did you know a can of baked beans contains over 1200 mg of salt? NO PROCESSED FOOD!

All my life I have wanted to be lean. I don't know why it matters so much. But I've finally decided I need to cross this off my bucket list. It must be a vanity thing. Maybe it's to prove that I can do it when I am surrounded by obese people...my way of being better than everyone else - that is pathetic. But the effort required to get lean is a journey that is developing discipline and determination and planning and THAT has to be a good thing.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    there is a VERY big difference between surviving and being healthy....
  • ArticaG
    ArticaG Posts: 7
    Options
    Good if this work for you. My point of view is that I'd rather live than survive and think that food should also be a pleasure not just a way to keep going.
  • johnrossmckay
    johnrossmckay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not suffering. And I am no where close to thin. I do P90X everyday and usually run or rollerblade. I am 50 years old but I can hang with the 20 somethings for cardio and strength. All of my health markers except stress are good. I just want to be lean. You know, not self-conscious about how I look.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm not suffering. And I am no where close to thin. I do P90X everyday and usually run or rollerblade. I am 50 years old but I can hang with the 20 somethings for cardio and strength. All of my health markers except stress are good. I just want to be lean. You know, not self-conscious about how I look.

the thing is, you can probably get the same results but be able to eat a normal amount if you repaired your metabolism.... just eating less and less isnt going to be sustainable.

but at the end of the day, you do what you do!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

^^^ this

humans can survive on very little, but for optimum health, we need a LOT more

aim for optimal health.... if you want to be lean, you can get lean without starving yourself or eating bare minimums.... aim for slow and steady fat loss, while enjoying all the foods you love (albeit in smaller portion sizes and less often for some foods) and doing exercise to build your body up, not break it down. You want to lose fat while keeping the rest of your body strong and healthy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to be lean and fit, then you want to maintain your lean body mass. As a male, eating about 1800 calories a day, it may be difficult. The more lean you get, the more fuel you need to provide or your body will start catabolizing lean body mass. Now, i will say, your exercise calories are over estimated in your diary because even I would struggle to burn over 1000 calories doing P90X. I am in the process of doing X2. Also, the issue with low calories is it's very difficult to hit your macro nutrients (which you don't track but probably should).

Will your body survive, of course, you feed it daily but it will optimize muscle retention and metabolic functions.. NOPE. Long term suppression will cause your RMR to adapt and become more efficient. This means it will burn less calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eat the food. Lift the weights. Long-term "survival mode" is no way to live.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Sure... you can survive on a 1,000 calories a day... but what will the quality of your life be? And, you don't get lean by depriving your body of the nutrition it needs to build muscle. But good luck with this plan of yours. I hope you come to your damn senses before you make yourself sick.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Please read:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.htm
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

Sounds like you have already done some damage to your metabolism. I wish I could find the thread with the case study of the person who was eating 800 cals and didn't lose weight but it's been too long and unfortunately I have lost it :(
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    So my net calorie goal is 1000 per day. Somewhere in my calculations I am missing something on the number of calories I am eating or on how many calories I am actually burning because my weight is stable. SO... I guess I'll have to try and eat less. But I feel like I am eating so little right now (even though I am not really). Compared to before though I guess it feels like very little.

SO here we go. Sugar comes out of the coffee, Homemade breakfast so I can control the salt and sugar. Carbs reduced to veggies only (no starchy veggies). I'll try to get a run in the morning if I can get to bed early enough.

My stomach looks flatter so maybe IU am just shifting the weight around a bit. AND, I might be retaining water....did you know a can of baked beans contains over 1200 mg of salt? NO PROCESSED FOOD!

All my life I have wanted to be lean. I don't know why it matters so much. But I've finally decided I need to cross this off my bucket list. It must be a vanity thing. Maybe it's to prove that I can do it when I am surrounded by obese people...my way of being better than everyone else - that is pathetic. But the effort required to get lean is a journey that is developing discipline and determination and planning and THAT has to be a good thing.

No. Just no.

You can survive on less than 1000 calories a day. You can survive with ZERO processed food or coffee without sugar. You can't honestly tell me though that you would be able to maintain this for the rest of your life, especially the <1000 calories part
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I will never ever understand why folks insist on eating as little as possible to lose weight. I eat as much as I can! I am much happier, and should I daresay, healthier for it.

OP, I am a petite 52 yr old female. My only exercise for the moment is rehab exercises for my injured back for the next 6 weeks.
    I am maintaining at 115-ish lbs on about 1500 calories. My point: you should be able to eat more!

Why just "survive" when you can "thrive"?
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Also, personally, I would much rather be happy and healthy than to be just 'surviving'. If you're going to follow your logic, why not go and live in a cave and do nothing but hunt and try to keep yourself warm? For some people, food is just fuel. For me, it's also a pleasure!

Your last point about being surrounded by obese people whilst maintaining a VLCD for 'vanity' worries me, it's a very narcissistic and disordered way to look at food...
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Look at OPs diary before you comment.
    He's not starving by any means.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    why are there so many threads with people rationalizing why they eat much less than they need to loose weight? it makes no sense!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

No, he's not, fair enough. However, he does not need to net 1000 calories after exercise, unless he doesn't really care about that pesky lean muscle crap or the whole decent metabolism thing.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    So my net calorie goal is 1000 per day.

Why would you suddenly cut your calories by half? Isn't that a bit drastic? Have you calculated your TDEE yet and eaten at -20% of that number?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No, he's not, fair enough. However, he does not need to net 1000 calories after exercise, unless he doesn't really care about that pesky lean muscle crap or the whole decent metabolism thing.

If he's really sure of the calories burned, which it is almost impossible to be with programs like P90X. 2000 calories is likely enough for a man his age (no offense intended OP, I'm older than you).

OP you don't need to cut all processed foods, but cutting back some does seem like a good idea. All that sodium could be a factor.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

if your stress levels aren't good, you could have high levels of cortisol in your system? - this will make you hang on to a bit of water weight - cutting back carbs won't help if this is the case. simple carbs spike insulin, keeping cortisol levels down :)
  • johnrossmckay
    johnrossmckay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I get more than 10000 steps a day on my pedometer so not all those calories come from P90X. "narcissism" - absolutely . I wrestle with that, although if you've met me the best lifelong description of me is "one ugly sob". The "obese" people in my life are the ones that are abusive; my way of having some toehold I guess.

Thanks for the encouraging words. It helps my get my head around the issues. ie poor body image, lack of control, and a characteristically extreme reaction to negative feedback. :smile:
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I will never ever understand why folks insist on eating as little as possible to lose weight. I eat as much as I can! I am much happier, and should I daresay, healthier for it.

OP, I am a petite 52 yr old female. My only exercise for the moment is rehab exercises for my injured back for the next 6 weeks.
    I am maintaining at 115-ish lbs on about 1500 calories. My point: you should be able to eat more!

Why just "survive" when you can "thrive"?

This. I want to be her. ^^^