"Don't lose any more weight!"

Options

Replies

• PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    But seriously, I think "Don't lose any more weight," translates to, "Damn, you look fantastic!"

I lost 70 lb. in 6 months back in 2005. When people told me, "Don't lose anymore weight," it translated to, "You look like you're undergoing cancer treatment."
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    People say this to me all the time and I can honestly say it has never been out of concern. I've decided on a few reasons why....

1. This is their way of complementing you. They are actually really impressed with your weight loss and want you to know that you look fantastic just the way you are.

2. You're a lot smaller/skinner than you think. At 5'7 and 155 pounds, I still could lose a few pounds. However, when I looked at a photo of myself the other day I was so tall and skinny, it startled me. So I could understand why telling someone I want to lose an additional 10 pounds would be like..."whyyyyy?"

3. It's their way of acknowledging your weight loss. Believe it or not, talking about weight is very awkward for people. They want to give you praise for it, but sometimes just don't know how.

4. I usually get this compliment when I tell people how much I lost. Which makes me believe they don't understand how much 1 pound of fat looks like. When I say 101 pounds, some people could imagine a 101 pound child. That's a lot of weight and I understand when people say "you don't need to lose anymore." It's hard to comprehend. lol

I think you're reading too much into it. I usually smile and appreciate the fact that someone notices my hard work.

^This.

I think if you are offended by it then you either 1) can't take a complement or 2) really do have body image issues.

As an anecdote, my sister has been losing weight as well, and she's petite (about 5'3) and weighs around 155. She thinks that's so high for her height and wants to lose like 15-20 more lbs at least. But I can tell you, in person, she looks absolutely skinny. She could lose maybe 5-10 lbs and be fine, but I try to tell her she looks great and shouldn't worry so much about the scale. She doesn't believe me though, and that's why when some people say "Don't lose weight" they really are a bit afraid that you have body image problems, at the very least that you have a hard time accepting how small you actually have gotten.

When my husband says "You don't need to lose any more weight" I know he means "You look perfect to me and I love you" so I don't mind when he says it - even when I know I have at least 20-30 lbs more to go. He knows this too, but just says it to make me feel good about myself. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

I know myself that it's really hard for me to judge my own looks and correct weight. Just because the BMI scale says you're ok at 120 doesn't mean you're actually ok at 120. I usually try to judge more by the size of clothes and what I see in pics more than what the scale says. Also what my doc says.
  • sammie121403
    sammie121403 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    OMG! Thank you for posting this! I went from 193 to currently 139 (138 is goal weight that puts me mid-weight in my healthy weight range) and Im 5'7". I have had people tell me, in all seriousness that they think I am too skinny.....my body fat percentage is still up there. Sometimes I feel they do not know where I stand weight wise. No one believed me when i would say i was 193, always thought i was lighter (all i could think is "why lie and make it higher, girls always lie and make it lighter, lol). For me, i think the drastic change in my looks freaks them out. But i feel like they do not fully appreciate the hard work i have done to get where i am not, its not like im starving myself, eating right and exercising is what i have been doing and following for 8 months now. One person even told my husband to watch me and make sure I am eating! I was like "really?" I eat all the time! They are just healthy and low cal.

33354125.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's aggravating to me as well. I definitely know where you're coming from. I'm 5"7 and 166lbs. I'm not even to a healthy BMI yet and I get this remark all the time. I just smile and say "I'll stop when I reach my goals". You're so right!! No one EVER said stop gaining weight...lol...which would have been the time for someone to step in.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    As long as you are still in the healthy range of BMI (to ensure that you really don't have an eating disorder) then just smile and take it as a compliment. It means you are doing great.
  • ywestover
    ywestover Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am hearing this all the time now. I don't know if it is jealously or concern. I am 5'4 1/2", 127 pounds and have a very small frame. I am 60 years old and feel great.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I get called skinny a lot now.. I mean.. I have lost weight.. but i'm not skinny. i'm still in the category of overweight. I have been told I don't need to lose anymore.. and honestly right now i'm just glad to me maintaining. I'm so stressed and stretched thin that I can't focus on weight loss. i'm just trying to eat healthy and keep it in check. Once the dust of starting high school and moving has settled i'll be in a better place (and a better kitchen!!) and can resume kicking my own butt to lose weight. I have learned not to bother listening to others who make comments like they. Most time they are overweight themselves and don't really understand the concept of healthy weight or healthy eating. Although they mean well. Plus sometimes people get so accustomed to you beinga certain size then when you lose weight.. especially 50+ pounds you really do look really skinny to them.
  • jasonalvear
    jasonalvear Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I encounter this often still. Depending on the person, they attribute weight loss as being a symptom of something wrong, rather than something right. Such as my grandmother who comes from a time when "skinny" was used for people whom are now considered "overweight". Others I know make the comment mainly as a self-confidence issue in themselves. It used to be annoying but after a while of hearing it from the same people, I guess the thick-skin grew and I no longer get bothered by it.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    So, today my 20-something son cautioned me not to eat frozen yogurt every day and gain that weight back.

My mom thinks I'm starving myself, and my son thinks I'm bingeing. :laugh:
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    i think they are jealous of you,, some people want u to lose weight even if u are skinny to look ugly and unhealthy,, and some people even if u are fat or overweight and want u to gain weight,, to look ugly and unhealthy,,

just listen to the right and positive people and ask some advice to the professional nurse,doctor,personal instructor or nutritionist.

hope this helps,,
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Ugh this is so frustrating I know! I get tired of hearing "you are wasting away!" I want to say "no I'm not" and flex a bicep, but I don't want to be that person so I hold my tongue and say I'm healthy and fit but thanks for your concern.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I also do not understand why noone made a peep when i was at my heaviest... im 5'2 and was 204 pounds... and i WISH that someone would have shaken me and screamed "GIRL WTF, youre getting chubby!! stop it!"

Everyone bubbles now, on and on, about how crazy it is that i lost 30+ pounds or how good im looking... where were they when i needed a kick in the head??

YES!!! I too wonder why no one pulled me aside when I was continually gaining, but now I'm at a normal weight some people think that can say whatever they feel!
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    my husband doesn't want me to go below 150, but I don't care. if I ever get to 150, im gonna keep going
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I should feel insulted that no one has said this to me. :ohwell:

But seriously, I think "Don't lose any more weight," translates to, "Damn, you look fantastic!"

Would you rather hear, "Yeah, you have a lot more to go?"

This
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I heard this again today from someone I haven't seen in a while. Ironic bit is she's lost a bit of weight, too.

I didn't bother saying the same to her! ;)
  • FrancineM62
    FrancineM62 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I KNOW! Someone just said that to me the other day. It was a little uncomfortable, but I think she meant well. I usually say "I'm where I should now be for my height, so I wasn't planning to" Sometimes I tell them my actual height and weight and tell them that's where I should be. I also hear alot that I look like I've lost more than 12 pounds. I don't know if that's because I'm short or what. Yesterday someone said "No, you've lost 15 or 20 pounds", as if I was lying! I'm a nurse and sometimes I think people react that way because they want reassurance that you aren't ill.
  • Aguylafleur
    Aguylafleur Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I got a similar comment from my brother and mother... when I told them my goal weight, they told me that I was going to make myself sick if I'd get to my goal weight... I'm only trying to get to a healthy BMI and leave a bit of room for fluctuations.

Of course, this was coming from my brother, who is pushing 300 pounds so I take his advise with a grain of salt.
  • lupinibean
    Options
    I've heard this and its close relative "Wow, you dropped a ton!" I've never fluctuated more than 20 pounds at a time, so I don't consider that a "ton". Makes me wonder if I really looked huge before and never realized it.
  • walkwallfall
    walkwallfall Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've heard this and its close relative "Wow, you dropped a ton!" I've never fluctuated more than 20 pounds at a time, so I don't consider that a "ton". Makes me wonder if I really looked huge before and never realized it.

This!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    People don't know what a healthy weight is anymore because they are conditioned to see the overweight and lightly obese as the standard body type. It's understandable because over 60% of the public is considered to be over an ideal weight range.

A couple of people said that I was too skinny at 100 pounds. I was skinny, I admit that. I had lost over 50 pounds and could not put on much muscle while eating at a deficit. But I could squat 140% of my body weight, and nobody said that I was too thin when they saw me lifting.