Help!! Skinny Husband wont change to healthy meals

Options

Replies

• letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You should teach your skinny husband a lesson. Begin making a shake for the two of you every morning and night.

Do your usual shakes. But for his buy a mass gainer and give him 1 scoop in the morning and night*. 600 calories each serving, combined with his normal eating habits. sedatary life, he will begin gaining weight drastically.

That's when he's going to gain a lot of weight and start agreeing with you.

Hope this helps and good luck being sneaky as fuk.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had these fights for quite awhile... and now, about two years later, he's really made some progress. Now my husband also can't eat whatever he wants, he's gained a lot of weight over the last few years and I think he's finally realized it. One other huge difference... I don't cook. My husband is the cook in the family (and man is he good!) So I had the extra hard duty of trying to convince him to make healthy foods for me. Actually one of our biggest fights was over the fact that I don't cook and I told him, I don't cook because a) what I want to cook you refuse to eat and b) I really don't care what I eat, I just care that its within my calorie limit and not high in fat. I could eat cereal for dinner every night. When I get home from work, I don't want to make some fancy dinner. I grew up eating Stouffers and chicken nuggets.

It takes a couple of months to acquire a taste. The problem is getting the stubborn husbands to try the new foods! I still can't get my husband to eat most veggies but he'll put them in the food now. We've switched completely from ground beef to ground turkey. I sneak in wheat bread as much as possible (although thats always a hard sell with him because it has more calories usually, he just doesn't believe me that it makes you fuller!) But he still tends to make us different foods (I get fish, he gets chicken... I get veggies, he gets fries...) Now for pizza... my husband actually makes it from scratch now! Dough and all! I feel so much better eating it because its all natural and I control the amount of sauce, cheese, and toppings.

We are trying to start planning our meals out on Sunday's for the week so that we can agree on what we will have, I'll know whether the dinner is going to be higher calorie so I can change my day as needed, and I can start cooking some without him refusing to eat it.

And finally... Have your husband read this article and tell him to grow up. :-) It'll take a little pushing to get him to make progress but he really does need to grow up a little. He can't eat like a high school kid forever.

http://summertomato.com/learning-to-love-foods-you-dont-like/
  • lizziecheek
    lizziecheek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Everyone has had good points. It is clear you are struggling with this. My thought is if you have already said to your spouse how important it is for you to lose weight and would like his support and was specific what support you would like, not fixing 2 meals per day, then I would not address it again. If you have not been clear then by all means have a conversation.

I copied from your profile your reason why you want to get in shape.

"I want to show my children how to take care of their bodies, I want to be able to live long and healthy lives with them, and I want to rock the bikini I haven't dared to put on since I was 18.:

I can't think of a better reason to make one meal, something that tastes good and is healthy. You children need a role model so when they are older they are not struggling like you are today.

Your husband is an adult and he can take care of his own needs.
  • daisysmamu
    daisysmamu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Marriage counseling. There are other issues here besides weight and diet and cooking. These are just the symptoms.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    He is happy eating chicken schnitzel, pizza, burgers, and tacos...

Well, who wouldn't be? (I admit, I had to google schnitzel. I've heard the word all my life, but never knew what it was exactly.)

There's nothing wrong with any of those foods, in the right portions and with the right sides.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    What is it that he eats that is so detrimental to your losing fat? If you stop eating the foods you like all together it is going to be hard if not impossible to keep the fat off once it is gone and you start to eat at maintenance again. I have never stopped eating any food just because I am in a cutting cycle, just smaller portions. It has to be sustainable to work or it won't work. If you are always craving that pizza or burger or shnizzle (what ever that is) :wink: that he is eating and constantly telling yourself you can't have food like that then one day you will and it won't be pretty. :smile: Don't make losing fat a chore you just have to change your way of seeing food. No you probably shouldn't eat a whole pizza but a couple of slices will fit in anyone's diet if they are conscious of how much they are eating.

Now the lack of support issue, can't help you there. That's something you and your spouse have to figure out.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have to know what a chicken schnitzel is.

It's a crumbed/breaded chicken fillet that is usually fried.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You might be able to find some ways to cut off a few calories here and there without him even noticing it. For instance, you may go with a leaner meat for the burgers. You can use a lower calorie cheese for the pizza and the burgers. Just little changes like that can make a big difference over the course of a 7 day week.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Since it seems that it's just dinner that's the problem, you can either eat a small portion of whatever he's having or "save up" some calories from the day to have a bigger meal in the evening. For instance I eat only about 500 calories during the day (fruit and a protein shake, generally) and that leaves me around 1,000 calories for a satisfying dinner and late night snack.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My husband is EXACTLY the same. My husband wont even touch any sort of fruit or vegetable. It can be VERY frustrating. So, I try to make things he likes and make them healthier without telling him and just eat part of that along with something healthier. Or I will make something he likes one day and something I like the next day. If he doesn't want to eat it, tough luck :P
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What is this, the 1950's? He's a big boy, if he doesn't like what you're making, tell him to make his own damn meals.

Exactly what I was thinking. You take care of you, he can take care of himself. And as for him telling you you're eating "weird things," well now I just think he sounds like an ignorant, lazy bum. Maybe he's not, but really. Sitting around while you make two different meals and then making fun of your veggies? No thanks.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said you can cook one meal and he can eat it or not. However, if you need an intermediate step before you cut him off cold turkey, you could have a small cache of ready made dinners for him if he won't eat what you make. Frozen burritos and pizzas, TV dinners, cold cereal, and the like. Or, you could make a big batch of something for him on Sunday afternoon, and he can eat the leftovers the rest of the week (chili, lasagna, casseroles, etc.). Good luck!
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This thread is tl;dr. Tell him to make his own damn food. All of my wut. :huh:
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys... I think Im going to have to start eating really small portions of the meals that could counter effect my weight loss, and maybe try smoothies or something for dinner on the days I don't want to eat what he does at all...

I wont stop making him supper, because I do like to cook and provide meals for him after work, I just dont think ill be cooking two things anymore.. seems redundant and messy :S

Why not make one meal but your portion a healthier version? Earlier you mentioned "He is happy eating chicken schnitzel, pizza, burgers, and tacos" ~ can't you schnitzel his chicken and keep yours plain? When my family has burgers I often opt for a chicken one. Last night I made tacos and just portion controlled mine. Are you making your own pizzas? If so just make yours a lighter version with more veggies.

I still cook for my family and sometimes make my serving a bit different ~ such as I might bread & fry chicken cutlets and bake mine plain with peppers and onions on top. Aren't you serving salad and veggies anyway? So why not just have big helpings of that? I always make a family size salad and eat mine with light dressing. I always serve 2 veggies at dinner and I take generous helpings.

I'm curious ~ so what are the 2 meals you make? You mean you might cook chicken schnitzel for your hubby and make yourself a totally different meal, like not even using similar ingredients (such as chicken?). Why wouldn't you just have chicken too, just without frying yours and leave off the gravy. Easy enough in my experience.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Compromise seems like a good policy here. I wouldn't make two meals. Instead I'd make homemade pizza, tacos, etc. Those two are especially simple because with pizza you can make his half with whatever toppings he wants and your half with lots of veggies (and maybe less cheese). With tacos you can each fill yours however you see fit. When I make tacos my husband puts meat, cheese, beans, and rice in his. I put meat, beans, lettuce, tomato, salsa, and avocado in mine.

Two nights per week I make myself a big salad and a baked chicken breast and he makes himself a sandwich or soup, or whatever he wants. We do it that way because he doesn't like many veggies and it gives me a chance to get mine in.

I don't think you need to be making two meals, but I also don't think that he should have to give up foods he loves because you need to lose weight. Find a way to make it work for both of you.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Just make what he wants and make it healthier for you - tacos without the shells and only a small amount of meat/sauce with a big amount of salad - he can have shells and mostly meat with sh*tloads of cheese if he wants. Pizza with a side salad for you. Add sides for both of you that are more suited to your individual tastes.

My fiance and I started a different eating plan about 6 months ago - at my suggestion. I went to him and said 'I want to do this, you don't have to. So I can cook you whatever you want, or you can do this with me. I'm not fussed either way, but I'm giving you the choice.' He took a few weeks to work out what he wanted, but we've gradually moved to the new plan for the both of us. It's working out well.

He shouldn't have to change just because you want to.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I know you have a lot of people saying you can eat whatever you want, just eat a smaller portion. But if you end up with 2 bites of food at each meal, your stomach will be growling within an hour. I can't presume I have enough info to give marital advice, but the way I handled when trying to lose baby weight 10 years ago was I cooked a meal when my oldest daughter was home. When she went to her dad's, I did not cook supper. My husband was on his own. I made a huge bowl of salad that would last 2 or 3 meals ahead of time, and come supper, I made it clear, "I'm on a diet and just having this tossed salad I made earlier today. You're welcome to have some of this, or you can find something else you prefer." And that was that. He was never selfish enough to ask me to get up and cook a dinner just for him. He was very supportive.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    What is this, the 1950's? He's a big boy, if he doesn't like what you're making, tell him to make his own damn meals.

yup. my husbands a stick too. eat whatever the hell he wants. but he knows the rule. you eat what I make or you don't eat at all. and if he doesn't like something, he's free to go out and get what he wants. just concentrate on you. you need to get healthy. he can either be by you, behind you, or the hell outta your way.

ETA for the age. im 24, he's 41. pretty sure pepsi is in his veins instead of blood.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    and we're both 23, I know its going to hit him hard soon but he doesn't yet believe it lol.

i wouldn't bank on that... my husband is 43 and still can eat like this. its not fair but it is what it is

i have five kids and a hubby who like to eat stuff i can't but i do the cooking and shopping so they eat what i make. many nights it is something we all can have, or sometimes it is tacos for them and taco salad for me. or i just skip the carbs if i serve them meat, potatoes and veggies. i will double up the veggies and eat the meat and double serving of veggies.

you can work around it, it is not fair or fun, but it is what it is.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    He wouldn't, by chance, be posting in the deadlifting thread?