Does a personal trainer have to look in absolute top-shape?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I thought I was done with this, but you know what - I'm not.

OP - I would NEVER, EVER, EVER hire a trainer who tried to push what THEY thought was the ideal figure. Which you very obviously would, since you think my ideal is unfeminine.

Grow up.

Wow, way to berate someone for not sharing your ideals. I don't think it's the OP that needs to grow up. How utterly pathetic. I think it's perfectly clear what the OP meant, perhaps she didn't phrase it the best way, but let's all have a massive overreaction.

If she thinks your ideal is unfeminine, so what? It's not your place to tell her what she should find feminine or otherwise.

AMEN!!! Sorry you beat me to it, but THANK YOU for articulating my thoughts exactly. Hate to say it but the meathead clique on here seems to be believe that the only TRUE definition of "healthy", "feminine", etc is to be huge and/or ripped....otherwise you're somehow less-than successful. Sorry, I hate to break it to you (collectively), but the final result of "success" is purely subjective, and can include anything up to (or including) that dynamic. I did the "unga bunga, me wanna bench 400 pounds" phase back in high school, and it's not for me anymore. If that's what floats your boat, so be it.....but not everyone sees it as th be-all and end-all (nor should you be sanctimonious enough to berate folks for believing otherwise). "Trim" is FINE, and not every woman needs to look like a powerlifting dude with t*ts and long hair.....

No one is saying that "benching 400lbs" and being huge/ripped is the only way.

I only see people here being offended by OP's "definition" of feminine. NO ONE else defined what feminine is for everyone.
    You're in a fit at the posters for what the OP actually did, not them.

Can you please quote some who said this? Because I see zero posts that state this and you're claiming it happened.. Did I miss it somewhere?
    Hate to say it but the meathead clique on here seems to be believe that the only TRUE definition of "healthy", "feminine", etc is to be huge and/or ripped....otherwise you're somehow less-than successful.

Seriously? Read back the past 3 pages in this thread (let alone DOZENS of others), and tell me you don't see at least a dozen postings (male and female) tantamount to "me like muscles". Just look at how badly the OP was ripped for simply IMPLYING her perception/opinion that being muscular/ripped might not be "feminine". Heaven forbid someone actually articulate that a woman doesn't NEED to look like andreia_Brazier_video_wbff_1.jpg, and see what happens. Better yet, put it side by side with any one of these:
    katherine-heigl_56.jpg

Christina+Hendricks+TAGORC+2.jpg

208717-kat-dennings.jpg

and conduct a poll on which body style is “preferred’. Granted, it wouldn’t be scientific but, based on the subtle (and not so subtle) undertones around here, I have a pretty good guess not only which would win, but that it wouldn’t even be close.

Sorry, there’s a group think/pack mentality on these forums that beats anyone down who doesn’t ascribe to the belief that: 1) boobs are bad (i.e. sign of somehow being fat/out of shape), 2) muscles are the ONLY way to go (as if people don’t/can't have other goals), and 3) if you disagree any in way with the collective mindset (and *gasp* articulate an OPINION) you are wrong/to be shamed.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options

OP - I would NEVER, EVER, EVER hire a trainer who tried to push what THEY thought was the ideal figure. Which you very obviously would, since you think my ideal is unfeminine.

Grow up.

Wow, way to berate someone for not sharing your ideals. I don't think it's the OP that needs to grow up. How utterly pathetic. I think it's perfectly clear what the OP meant, perhaps she didn't phrase it the best way, but let's all have a massive overreaction.

If she thinks your ideal is unfeminine, so what? It's not your place to tell her what she should find feminine or otherwise.

AMEN!!! Sorry you beat me to it, but THANK YOU for articulating my thoughts exactly. Hate to say it but the meathead clique on here seems to be believe that the only TRUE definition of "healthy", "feminine", etc is to be huge and/or ripped....otherwise you're somehow less-than successful. Sorry, I hate to break it to you (collectively), but the final result of "success" is purely subjective, and can include anything up to (or including) that dynamic. I did the "unga bunga, me wanna bench 400 pounds" phase back in high school, and it's not for me anymore. If that's what floats your boat, so be it.....but not everyone sees it as th be-all and end-all (nor should you be sanctimonious enough to berate folks for believing otherwise). "Trim" is FINE, and not every woman needs to look like a powerlifting dude with t*ts and long hair.....

and everyone who tries to increase their physiological capabilities must be a caveman?

Not at all. But when 1) it becomes the ONLY end to the process, and 2) a person is somehow less-than for not ascribing to the almighty barbell/benchpress/squat rack as THE means to achieving "fitness", it's a problem.....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    People are of course allowed to have their own preferences on body type, the type they want and the type they are most attracted to. What is WRONG is using your own preference to try to define a word such as "feminine", by doing so you insult others that do not share the same preferences as you.
  • nee90
    nee90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How in the world you could think this is not sexy & feminine is beyond me..........:huh:

jillian-michaels-get-fit-tips.jpg

Jillian-Michaels-Redbook-Magazine-July-2010-Pics--500x774.jpg

jillian-michaels-0710-3-mdn.jpg

I like and find very feminine her body... it's her face I don't like...:P
    But I guess this is even more about personal preferences
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like and find very feminine her body... it's her face I don't like...:P
    But I guess this is even more about personal preferences

funny i was just thinking that its her face that makes her look like a dude...

@Tatonka
    Sorry, there’s a group think/pack mentality on these forums that beats anyone down who doesn’t ascribe to the belief that: 1) boobs are bad (i.e. sign of somehow being fat/out of shape), 2) muscles are the ONLY way to go (as if people don’t/can't have other goals), and 3) if you disagree any in way with the collective mindset (and *gasp* articulate an OPINION) you are wrong/to be shamed.

i think you are very mistaken. the ladies on here just don't like it when someone implies that they are less feminine if they have a little more muscle definition. its more about them, no one is saying that everyone else should look a specific way. why would they?

also i'm very sure your poll would not go the way you think it would. i for one would bed andreia brazier and kat dennings with equal pleasure if they where up to it. believe me: there is no "collective mindset".
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    Having worked with a female trainer who is ripped I can say that I wouldn't work with one that wasn't. Oh and she was plenty feminine-I saw her in a bridesmaid dress and she looked beautiful, soft, feminine and amazing in her dress. She never made me feel as if I had to be ripped either and took the time out to praise me and tell me I looked amazing and was doing great work. I stayed with her for a long time because she was inspirational, amazing at her job and I admired her as a woman.
  • kuroi19
    kuroi19 Posts: 45
    Options
    Harsh, OP was just asking if she needs to be muscly to be respected as a trainer because she'd like that career but her preferences lie with less muscly a body.
    General answer: "OMG DO YOU THINK I DON'T LOOK FEMININE YOU PIECE OF"
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    In.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Grow up.

I only see people here being offended by OP's "definition" of feminine. NO ONE else defined what feminine is for everyone.

Can you please quote some who said this? Because I see zero posts that state this and you're claiming it happened.. Did I miss it somewhere?
    Hate to say it but the meathead clique on here seems to be believe that the only TRUE definition of "healthy", "feminine", etc is to be huge and/or ripped....otherwise you're somehow less-than successful.

Seriously? Read back the past 3 pages in this thread (let alone DOZENS of others), and tell me you don't see at least a dozen postings (male and female) tantamount to "me like muscles". Just look at how badly the OP was ripped for simply IMPLYING her perception/opinion that being muscular/ripped might not be "feminine". Heaven forbid someone actually articulate that a woman doesn't NEED to look like andreia_Brazier_video_wbff_1.jpg, and see what happens. Better yet, put it side by side with any one of these:
    katherine-heigl_56.jpg

208717-kat-dennings.jpg

and conduct a poll on which body style is “preferred’. Granted, it wouldn’t be scientific but, based on the subtle (and not so subtle) undertones around here, I have a pretty good guess not only which would win, but that it wouldn’t even be close.

I'm sorry that that has been your experience with these forums but I really disagree. The only time people act like that are because they are so sick of people calling other women's physiques that they have worked extremely hard for "unfeminine." It's thrown around all the time and people have their hackles up because of it.

You really expect a woman not to be offended by that? On a fitness site of all places? :huh:

Oh and edit: I've NEVER seen someone say boobs are bad. I think you just made that up. I think we all agree that we :heart: bewbs. :drinker:
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    People are of course allowed to have their own preferences on body type, the type they want and the type they are most attracted to. What is WRONG is using your own preference to try to define a word such as "feminine", by doing so you insult others that do not share the same preferences as you.

This.

I don't see anyone insisting that to be feminine is to be muscular, none. People are just expressing their disagreement to the OP's notion that sporting well-defined muscles is not feminine.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would say no. I would be suspicious if they looked like Norm from "Cheers" however.

I think there's a cultural emphasis, which is reinforced on this site, that muscle definition equals strength and health. Not necessarily so.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Setting aside the muscles/femininity issue....

You could be moderately successful as a trainer with whatever body you want with primarily clients that want your body type.

But, to REALLY be successful, you're going to have to learn about training, and to do that, you're going to need to train. Otherwise, you won't understand the questions people ask you with context. You'll get flustered when people ask you specifically how to set up to test 1RMs safely, and you'll lose clients.

I think you might actually end up preferring, and being more successful at, being a group fitness instructor- teaching classes- than being a personal trainer.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Options
    Yes!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Grow up.

katherine-heigl_56.jpg

208717-kat-dennings.jpg

I'm sorry that that has been your experience with these forums but I really disagree. The only time people act like that are because they are so sick of people calling other women's physiques that they have worked extremely hard for "unfeminine." It's thrown around all the time and people have their hackles up because of it.

You really expect a woman not to be offended by that? On a fitness site of all places? :huh:

Oh and edit: I've NEVER seen someone say boobs are bad. I think you just made that up. I think we all agree that we :heart: bewbs. :drinker:

This.

I think all of the women above are beautiful and sexy. When I was a size 12 I felt beautiful and sexy and I feel that way now. And I definitely :heart: boobs.

What I don't love is the implication that I'm not feminine because I have muscle or because I have small boobs. I don't understand why people feel the need to imply that either body type is the only way to look feminine.
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Well, Jesus. My own opinion of some of the people My Fitness Pal kinda lowered a bit. I only skimmed through the third and fourth pages. Really? I'm going to get four pages of angry, useless comments, when I only get about three or four replies on questions such as "please help me, I need motivation"?

That said, I could have phrased my question more delicately. Jillian Michaels is feminine. I guess I just don't want any bulk. Like, I'd still like to keep healthy curves. Like an hourglass. I don't want the visible definition, like Jillian has. For my taste, her abs appear to be bulked up just enough that she doesn't have that thin waist. I mean some women have virtually no "hourglass" curves, but Jillian definitely has some definition.

Better?
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd expect a personal trainer in Tip Top shape.

Why would I pay someone to train me who has less dedication that me.

All in all, most of the male personal trainers at the gym I go to who are in significantly better shape than me are 'Juicing'