Don't know if I should gain muscle or lose weight?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    False, actually. You can lose fat and build muscle at the same time, but you have to eat at a small deficit, eat well and work hard (well, that's true for any kind of weight loss).

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

THANK YOU!! I don't know how many times I've been told this couldn't happen and I was not a "special snowflake". Yet I did it (BF% and inches decreased but gained a couple of pounds and increased strength).

It took at while but it can be done.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 165 lbs. It's not the number that's bothering me it's how I look. Couldn't care less about the number. I just don't know if I need to lose weight or just tone up? I want to be able to see my muscle and I don't know if I need to lose weight for that to happen or can I just jump in to strength training and see results?

http://imgur.com/lpqUSKh

That's the best full body picture I have of myself haha sorry it probably doesn't help.

Thanks!

Honestly, you probably could lose a little more, by toning or cardio. I'm 5'7 and our healthy weight is 120-150. (http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html). Personally, I want to get to 140 & I'm at 172 today. I'm going to continue to lose until maybe 150 then I'll work on toning. Toning your muscles does help burn fat/cals, even while inactive so you can target problem areas with it. I guess it's up to your discretion...sorry to say, pic doesn't help too much! lol
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I always thought you could only do one or the other except when an overweight person (like myself) first begins working out and both occur because you're being active. Don't quote me though, I just started and I'm a noobie at all of this.
  • WONDERCECI
    Options
    As women we stand to benefit more from weight training, especially with retaining calcium in our bones and muscle relieves joint problems as well. Make sure you balance your protein intake.
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what has worked best for me =-) I have done it both ways build muscle at the same time as doing lots of cardio or lots of cardios first then stength training both have pros and cons. For me I need to see results, and fairly quickly or I will not stick with it, when you have lots of fat and you are building muscle you aren't going to see results as fast because you have fat covering them (the muscles up.) For me, I prefer the 2nd. I like to do light stength training on all major muscle groups twice a week (nothing heavy!) but enough to make sure I am keeping the muscles strong, healthy, and that they aren't being broken down and being used as fuel by all my heavy cardio work (hint, I take a small 2.5oz/28 gram protein 128 calorie suppliment right after all my big cardio workouts.) Once I am within 10-15 lbs of my goal weight then I up my strength training majorily. I train specific muscle groups (large, small, specific, and stablizers) heavily 3 times a week.

***So for example I did this before and I weighted 120 and wore a size 6, which was close to my "ideal" weight. I started training heavy with weights as I decribed and making sure to have an additional 35-60 grams protein on training days. I dropped another 8lbs but I got down to a size 1 or 2 sometimes 0! Muscles are more dense than fat so they take up 1/3 of the amount of space. I saw those results in about 45-60 days. That's what worked for me. JMHO

I'm 5'7" and 165 lbs. It's not the number that's bothering me it's how I look. Couldn't care less about the number. I just don't know if I need to lose weight or just tone up? I want to be able to see my muscle and I don't know if I need to lose weight for that to happen or can I just jump in to strength training and see results?

http://imgur.com/lpqUSKh

That's the best full body picture I have of myself haha sorry it probably doesn't help.

Thanks!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Here is what Layne Norton says about it.......

MP: You have often said that it is not impossible but very counterproductive to build muscle and burn fat at the same time. How do you suggest to our beginners for how to get a totally conditioned physique such as yourself.

LN: Well I think certain people can build muscle and burn fat at the same time and they general fall into 3 groups: 1) beginners 2) very obese people and 3) those using steroids or illicit lipolytics or a combination of any 3 of those. But if a person has been training hard for a few years and is very good with their nutrition and aren’t 35% bodyfat, they aren’t going to burn fat and build muscle at the same time most likely. It would be EXTREMELY unlikely to happen.

Also.................

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options

LN: Well I think certain people can build muscle and burn fat at the same time and they general fall into 3 groups: 1) beginners 2) very obese people and 3) those using steroids or illicit lipolytics or a combination of any 3 of those. But if a person has been training hard for a few years and is very good with their nutrition and aren’t 35% bodyfat, they aren’t going to burn fat and build muscle at the same time most likely. It would be EXTREMELY unlikely to happen.

I'm not sure if you were trying to counter what I, and others, have said about it being possible to do both at the same time, but I wholeheartedly agree with what you said.

Here's the thing. Most people who ask questions like this are 1: beginners and 2: obese.

Telling a fat newbie that they can't do both at the same time is not helpful, because it makes them feel like they need either to go on a calorie restricted diet to lose fat OR eat a surplus and lift heavy to gain muscle. If you lift heavy AND eat at a slight deficit, an obese starter will be happier with the results than one who does either/or.

When you have been lifting for long enough to no longer be a beginner, 6-8 months or more, to pull a number out of my bottom, then maybe you have to look into what you want to do to get to the next level. In 6-8 months of eating at a slight deficit, that fat beginner has probably also dropped enough fat to see muscles they never knew were there all along and they'll have a solid foundation of lifting and proper form to enable them to catapult themselves into the next level, if thats where they want to be.

To OP: You can do both. If you want to be stronger and you have a lot of body fat you don't want anymore, You should do both.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if you were trying to counter what I, and others, have said about it being possible to do both at the same time, but I wholeheartedly agree with what you said.

Here's the thing. Most people who ask questions like this are 1: beginners and 2: obese.

Telling a fat newbie that they can't do both at the same time is not helpful, because it makes them feel like they need either to go on a calorie restricted diet to lose fat OR eat a surplus and lift heavy to gain muscle. If you lift heavy AND eat at a slight deficit, an obese starter will be happier with the results than one who does either/or.

When you have been lifting for long enough to no longer be a beginner, 6-8 months or more, to pull a number out of my bottom, then maybe you have to look into what you want to do to get to the next level. In 6-8 months of eating at a slight deficit, that fat beginner has probably also dropped enough fat to see muscles they never knew were there all along and they'll have a solid foundation of lifting and proper form to enable them to catapult themselves into the next level, if thats where they want to be.

To OP: You can do both. If you want to be stronger and you have a lot of body fat you don't want anymore, You should do both.

This response makes a lot of sense for beginners. And you're right, most of the people asking this, especially in MFP forums, are overweight beginners, for whom this type of training is highly beneficial.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    LN is also talking about body builders... not average people looking to lean out and tone up. Remember context counts...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You should do BOTH
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy, eat at a deficit. You won't see muscle until you lose fat. When bodybuilders go on a bulking diet to build muscle, they lose muscle definition because of the increase in fat, so they go back on a cutting diet to lose the fat.

Since you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time, lift heavy (to retain the muscle you already have) and lose the fat. Then when you reach your desired body fat levels, work on adding calories and building muscle.

This exactly couldn't/wouldn't add a thing.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!! I don't know how many times I've been told this couldn't happen and I was not a "special snowflake". Yet I did it (BF% and inches decreased but gained a couple of pounds and increased strength).

No, it can't.

You didn't gain muscle, you gained water, that's why your BF% went down.

Don't conflate strength with increased muscle mass - they are two separate issues.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Since you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time, lift heavy (to retain the muscle you already have) and lose the fat. Then when you reach your desired body fat levels, work on adding calories and building muscle.

you CAN gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. You just can't do both at maximum efficiency at the same time. If you're trying to crash diet to get skinny quick (unwise) then you should work on that to exclusion. If you're trying to get massive muscle gains quick (like for competition, or what have you) then you should work on that to exclusion.

If you are overweight (fat) and want to make a healthy lifestyle change to reduce body fat and increase muscle, then eat at the TDEE of a person who's the size you WANT to be, and lift heavy. You'll gradually get stronger and lose body fat and meet in the middle of where you want to be. Then you can see if you want to be more muscular or less fat and adjust calories and lifting accordingly.
    False. Noob gains are a possibility for someone who has never exercised, but they are very small and fleeting. Calorie surplus is required for muscle gain, and calorie deficit is required for fat loss. What you're describing is akin to trying to drive your car in forward and reverse at the same time. It's not going to happen.

False, actually. You can lose fat and build muscle at the same time, but you have to eat at a small deficit, eat well and work hard (well, that's true for any kind of weight loss).

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

Hmmm. I don't know about that.

Have you applied that to yourself?
    It is possible but the slowest way to achieve the desired results.

Lift heavy eat at a moderate deficit and assess when you get to goal bf%. If you want more muscle change to a 50-100 cal dail surpluss and lift. This will add muscle and fat so at the end you cut one more time and reassess. Rinse and repeat till desired results are achieved.

Edit to add muscle definition is about bf%.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

No, it can't.

You didn't gain muscle, you gained water, that's why your BF% went down.

Don't conflate strength with increased muscle mass - they are two separate issues.

Permanent water weight, eh?
  • paxtonrobinson22
    Options
    Wow! This sure got a lot of responses thanks everyone! I am a total noob when it comes to this so I appreciate all the feed back, it's awesome. I was really just wondering if I could see muscle if I was just lifting considering I absolutely HATE HATE HATE cardio more than anything. I have my answer!
  • paxtonrobinson22
    Options
    Thank you! This really helps :)
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Here is what Layne Norton says about it.......

MP: You have often said that it is not impossible but very counterproductive to build muscle and burn fat at the same time. How do you suggest to our beginners for how to get a totally conditioned physique such as yourself.

Also.................

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

This has been my personal experience in 28 years of lifting.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

you CAN gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. You just can't do both at maximum efficiency at the same time. If you're trying to crash diet to get skinny quick (unwise) then you should work on that to exclusion. If you're trying to get massive muscle gains quick (like for competition, or what have you) then you should work on that to exclusion.

If you are overweight (fat) and want to make a healthy lifestyle change to reduce body fat and increase muscle, then eat at the TDEE of a person who's the size you WANT to be, and lift heavy. You'll gradually get stronger and lose body fat and meet in the middle of where you want to be. Then you can see if you want to be more muscular or less fat and adjust calories and lifting accordingly.
    False. Noob gains are a possibility for someone who has never exercised, but they are very small and fleeting. Calorie surplus is required for muscle gain, and calorie deficit is required for fat loss. What you're describing is akin to trying to drive your car in forward and reverse at the same time. It's not going to happen.

I disagree..i managed to loose a lot of fat and gain a lot of muscle at the same time. Both processes have been slowed because I am doing both at the same time but I ve still made progress in both departments. And both gains have been constantly going for 4-6 months. Granted im not trying to bulk for a comp or anything but I ve made some decent gains non the less.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy regularly either way.

Feel your arms, thighs, calfs, abs, etc. without flexing your muscles. Do you want to lose the fat first?
    Feel your arms, thighs, calfs, abs, etc. whilst flexing your muscles. Do you want to gain a little muscle first?

It is possible to intentionally lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but it generally requires making things a lot more complicated than they need to be and the results will more than likely not be as time-efficient as choosing to focus on one thing first, and then the other (whilst minimising muscle losses or fat gains).
  • ttmspeace
    ttmspeace Posts: 240
    Options
    Wow!!! My head is spinning from information over load !! I am so confused . Great discussion though !!