This is scary. Woman dies of heart attack at gym

Options
12346»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Skinny =/= Healthy Heart.

It's sad, but people die. And it doesn't have to be someone's fault. It's just life.

But assigning blame is de jour for a suing culture....

Yup, sadly.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sometimes things happen that aren't anybody's fault. Are there things people could have done differently that might have made a difference? Possibly. But that doesn't make those people responsible for her death. The one thing responsible for her death was her heart disease. Not a person.

That's great that everyone wants all gyms to have multiple staff members at all times who are lifeguard, CPR, AED, etc. trained. But you also have to understand that those things significantly increase the cost of a gym vs. just having a single guy to sit at a desk and check people in. The gym should have the right to make that choice and the customers should have the right to make an informed decision whether or not to pick a gym (and pay for one) that has that. As long as they're informed when they sign up for membership, I don't see why that should have to be regulated.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The employee at the counter was a typical brain dead sheep.

I would certainly help someone out.

People should be trained in basic first aid and CPR even if it is only for their own family. I don't understand why people don't do it?

People should get a good physical before starting an exercise program.

I shudder at some of the threads on here when some 400lb person who probably hasn't done any more exercise than walking from the sofa to the toilet asks if they should start Insanity or PX90 and a bunch of dimwits say sure jump right in and just push through it.

People should get a complete physical before starting and start out slowly if that is just walking to the mailbox and a bit of very light stretching.
  • trainerbarb
    Options
    My gym requires ALL employees to be CPR/AED certified. It's a local chain of 10 gyms, 5, 000 employees. Every location has an AED.
  • swpguy
    swpguy Posts: 15
    Options
    10 gyms & 5,000 employees?!? Holy crap! The line for the lift rack must be ridiculous. ;)