If I see one more TOM post...

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Not only are there a lot of TOM threads, but there are just as many threads like this one. Yes, I understand, people have had their periods for a long time. However, people have not been trying to lose weight for a long time. So, that is why you see a lot of TOM threads on here. It's not about TOM being new to them, it's about weight loss being new to them. I'm surprised people don't understand that. And that aside, who cares what any woman does or doesn't do during her period. Sometimes I exercise everyday for a month, but choose the first day or two day of my period for my rest days (from exercise, not from dancing and not from the rest of my life). No one should have to explain all the details that may go into the reasons they make the choices they make during their period.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well thank god. I turn 41 on Wed - good to know I'll no longer have a period.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    40? LOL. I remember when 40 seemed old to me too.

:laugh: Yep! Me too! :laugh:
  • SpinCyn
    SpinCyn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Isn't TOM the guy who started Myspace?
    My.exact.thought.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have had roughly 390 periods. If I haven't mastered it by now, I am never going to.

Ha. I'm not far behind and I haven't mastered them yet.

They started out every 28 days, no cramps, no food craving, no fatigue, no moodiness and fairly light. I barely knew it was that time of the month.

Now? FML. They come every 17-33 days (honestly it's a surprise every month these days), so heavy I have to change the tampon every 1-1.5 hours. Moodiness, major food cravings and on Day 2 I'm so tired I barely want to get out of bed (although it's been day 3 lately, yep even that "constant" is ever changing. Grrr. It down right sucks. Yes, I've been to the doctor. Except for a small fibroid I'm healthy. Do I still exercise? Yes, but I'm always happy when Day 2 happens to fall on a rest day.

I really don't care about TOM posts. I think they can be helpful. In my case, my mom had a hysterectomy at age 29. Add in she is overweight, never exercised and generally lazy. Even if she could tell us her experiences I'm sure her advice would not be helpful.

^^^

Can totally relate to you! Each month is a surprise...each month has a different package of wonderful gifts: fatigue, hunger, anger, anxiety, etc. My physical is coming up so doc and I are going to have a long discussion:) haha Since losing weight and exercising more things have gotten even more odd (I'll spare ya'll the details) But seriously, TOM posts don't bother me. Fertility and how it all works is so different for everyone so it's easy to commiserate with others and you never know what trick/tip might help you.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have had roughly 390 periods. If I haven't mastered it by now, I am never going to.

Ha. I'm not far behind and I haven't mastered them yet.

They started out every 28 days, no cramps, no food craving, no fatigue, no moodiness and fairly light. I barely knew it was that time of the month.

Now? FML. They come every 17-33 days (honestly it's a surprise every month these days), so heavy I have to change the tampon every 1-1.5 hours. Moodiness, major food cravings and on Day 2 I'm so tired I barely want to get out of bed (although it's been day 3 lately, yep even that "constant" is ever changing. Grrr. It down right sucks. Yes, I've been to the doctor. Except for a small fibroid I'm healthy. Do I still exercise? Yes, but I'm always happy when Day 2 happens to fall on a rest day.

I really don't care about TOM posts. I think they can be helpful. In my case, my mom had a hysterectomy at age 29. Add in she is overweight, never exercised and generally lazy. Even if she could tell us her experiences I'm sure her advice would not be helpful.

^^^

Can totally relate to you! Each month is a surprise...each month has a different package of wonderful gifts: fatigue, hunger, anger, anxiety, etc. My physical is coming up so doc and I are going to have a long discussion:) haha Since losing weight and exercising more things have gotten even more odd (I'll spare ya'll the details) But seriously, TOM posts don't bother me. Fertility and how it all works is so different for everyone so it's easy to commiserate with others and you never know what trick/tip might help you.

Yeah, everyone thinks they know everything about their cycles, but the Op didn't know that we get our periods past the age of 40. And a lot of people don't know how to know when they are ovulating. It's very valuable information for preventing pregnancy, getting pregnant, or for being able to predict when the period will start. I know there are a lot of reasons for irregular cycles, but the main reason is because of irregular ovulation. Most women will get their period exactly 14 days after ovulation, so if you know when you ovulated, you can predict when you will get your period. Even for some women that get their period later than 14 days or less than 14 days because of a hormonal issue that extends or shortens their luteal phase (a short luteal phase can also be a reson for infertility because it causes early miscarriage before pregnancy detection), they will still know that their luteal phase lasts for such and such amount of days and/or varies within a predictable amount. Some people ovulate on day 14 of their cycle (that's where the 28 day cycle pattern came from), but many many people will ovulate on a different day and have it vary from month to month. So, when your period is late it's because you ovulated late. So, if stress makes your period late, the stress made your ovulation late and did not have any influence on your period after ovulation happened. And of course there are also hormonal issues that can cause break through bleeding (which is what may be happening when people have frequent periods). There's always more to learn.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    The responses in this thread simply take it to a place I don't think the OP meant...when I read the first post, it sounded like she was simply complaining about women who have had years of normal periods and yet still get confused at the water retention and cravings that inevitably follow and is exasperated at the fact that there really are women out there who still believe that the water retention is "fat gain."

I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me. I don't think she was upset at the fact that women with real issues during TOM were posting questions about them, just the "oh noes, I gained 4 pounds this week, should I wait until next week to step on the scale?"

It is a little disconcerting that grown women don't know the basics, though. Honestly is...
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Goes on quite a bit over 40 I think :), and, being a woman does not suck. It's quite nice, actually.

This.
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Isn't TOM the guy who started Myspace?
    My.exact.thought.

The best
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Eh.

It's supposed to be a support site. Just because something is easy/routine for you doesn't mean it is for everyone. You really have no idea how others may react to TOM. Be happy that you don't have issues that require you to create a post. Others might.

No one's forcing you to read them.

This is not a support site.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If I see one more "If I see one more TOM post..." I'm gonna *meh* don't care really, don't have to read if I don't want to.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    What a lot of people don't understand is that while it may not be something new for you, it may be new to a lot of people who need support. It is annoying sometimes, but just don't read them if you don't want to.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I do grave chocolate from time to time and especially on my period. For a while I was getting a bag of these individually wrapped resees cups. So good, but so bad for me, because I would eat the whole bag in like two days. Everyday I wanted another one I would be like. I'll just have one more. So from now on when I buy chocolate, I'm only getting a small package and one only, unless I plan on sharing even if it kills me to. lol :)
  • misterwah
    misterwah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am going to explode.

But for crying out loud. Put your big girl panties and a pad on and suck it up and take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming your Aunt Flo.
    LOL... awesome... *starts slow-clap*

If I see one more "If I see one more TOM post..." I'm gonna *meh* don't care really, don't have to read if I don't want to.
    Aaaand, amen.

:laugh:
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thought it was strange that all the TOM posts where done during the same week?

I knew that women living together syncronized their periods.. but women in the same online forum? Mind blowing.

Just two words: Poor Guys.

(And I'm saying this, because I was part of that club too last week).
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Amen OP! Except it will last beyond 40 lol
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I like this post, this is so me! annoyed by idiotism!
  • hellohappycarla
    hellohappycarla Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    *shrug* There's no rule against creating a thread with the same topic as someone else. If someone needs to talk about it, they can. Just skip it.

Also, there are things that are not normal and sometimes a girl needs to ask. Doesn't bother me.

*still bleeding at 43*

#bump :laugh: :drinker:
    Agree.
    Everyone here needs help, everyone here needs motivation, and if they (we) need to get some drama out then let them (us) be. Let's not start putting limitations on each other, especially not around here. Live and let live. :flowerforyou:
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Some of us are just getting reacquainted with Aunt Flo after years of untreated PCOS and she only visited once every year or so. As nice as that was, it's not a good idea to make the same mistakes I did. I had a bit of a cancer scare, but now thanks to healthier living and a D&C I am getting back to "normal". But, I must say, I didn't miss Aunt Flo at all. :(
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am going to explode.

Uh oh...that sounds like PMS. Want to tell us about it? :smile: