Shakology... disgusting?

I can't stand the after taste! Does anyone else have this problem?? I mixed the chocolate flavor with coconut milk and a little coffee. Admittedly, the shake did it's job as a meal replacement (I wasn't hungry for a good four hours after drinking half of it) but I couldn't even finish the damn thing cuz of the aftertaste.

Anyone else?

Replies

• ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    I love the taste and have drank it every day for breakfast since Memorial Day.

I mix vanilla or greenberry with 1/2 cup milk, and 1 no fat yogurt + 4 ice cubes.
    I mix strawberry or chocolate with 1/2 cup milk, 1 medium banana + 4 ice cubes.

Admittedly, chocolate was not my favorite, but I'm not a chocolate lover.
  • zcheeze
    zcheeze Posts: 25
    I'm thinking it's because of the Stevia, thx for the tips... I'll have to play around with it some more.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    I'm with you, I hate the taste of sucralose. The powder I'm using has it, but you only really notice it in the strawberry flavor. I'm letting the wife have most of the strawberry flavor :)
  • zcheeze
    I found a way to make it work! I've been using the sample packets, and the directions are to use one packet... too much for me! I find using half the amount with some peanut butter, coconut milk and/or friut leave no after taste all all!
  • littlesprite11
    littlesprite11 Posts: 106 Member
    With both the vanilla and chocolate I use 1 cup of almond milk, one tablespoon of almond butter or peanut butter and a little bit of ice. Yum! I used to make it with water and hated it...so much better this way!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    I love it. I use a LOT more liquid than the package says. Are you using a blender? I blend it a good couple minutes.

My favorite with chocolate is water, ice and a banana. makes it more creamy. I also like it with PB. Again, I use a lot more liquid though. OH and a straw. For some reason I like drinking with a straw, maybe it feels more like a treat.

Tropical is not my favorite... someone else mentioned that one. the trick there is due to the protein to Blend, let it rest, and blend again. Each time I let it blend a good couple minutes (or it seems like it anyways) a lot longer than it takes to mix it.

Look at the recipe card that came with it and play around with it.
  • SpinCyn
    SpinCyn Posts: 94 Member
    I opted outnof buying these!!! Im finishing insanity and whenever I complain of the lack of results people yell at me for not doing shakeology...which I find odd Xd i mean.....to lose weight , said most easily, is to burn more than what you consume. i have most deffinetly been doing this for months and yes m stronger but im still not down a pant size. Yes I cheat some days but overall my calories are under. Plateau maybe....anyway

I was looking for a good protein upper (a big bucket of whey from GNC i gues) but now I gues, since shakeology does not seem to taste good I appreciate the post, will avoid my temptation to add it to my workouts. Apperantly my success DEPENDS on it, lol.
  • HeinekenMan
    HeinekenMan Posts: 80 Member
    I put a spoonful of fat-free Marzetti caramel dip in my vanilla GNC Total Lean shake. It really kicked it up a notch. I enjoyed it. But I only drink shakes when I'm in a bind. If I don't have the right foods in the house or want some quick calories, that's when I have a shake.
  • zcheeze
    Actually I did find a way to have it taste good... it was the after taste that was awful with too much of the powder. I just cut it down in half, adding coconut milk, fruits and/or peanut butter and it actually came out pretty good. Does the job for meal replacement as well.
  • zcheeze
    I opted outnof buying these!!! Im finishing insanity and whenever I complain of the lack of results people yell at me for not doing shakeology...which I find odd Xd i mean.....to lose weight , said most easily, is to burn more than what you consume. i have most deffinetly been doing this for months and yes m stronger but im still not down a pant size. Yes I cheat some days but overall my calories are under. Plateau maybe....anyway

I was looking for a good protein upper (a big bucket of whey from GNC i gues) but now I gues, since shakeology does not seem to taste good I appreciate the post, will avoid my temptation to add it to my workouts. Apperantly my success DEPENDS on it, lol.

Actually I did find a way to have it taste good... it was the after taste that was awful with too much of the powder. I just cut it down in half, adding coconut milk, fruits and/or peanut butter and it actually came out pretty good. Does the job for meal replacement as well.
  • I don't really see the reason to take it in the first place. Sure, it is a protein shake with some amino acids mixed into it that gives you some protein and fat calories to replace a meal.

Why not just have a meal and build a supplement plan to match your individual needs? An egg (or two), a turkey sausage or a small fillet of salmon, some greek yoghurt for breakfast, then supplement with some fish oil, B vitamins and some beta-alanine... and of course the multivitamin that you are probably already taking. Costs less money, you don't have to "skip" a meal, you feel full for a few hours, and no nasty protein shake aftertaste. Bonus, you are getting the really good proteins instead of processed soy-based protein. Best of all, you can do the above breakfast for only like three hundred calories, so you can add more to it if you need more food. Shakeology? By the time you get done adding other stuff to it to make it palatable, you are going to be spending much more calories than the 160 you already get from that serving of "meal replacement" shake, so you are about even with just having that meal.

Heck, I like a nice big breakfast to start me on my day so I have plenty of energy and feel good about getting up in the morning for my breakfast. I make myself a couple eggs, a turkey sausage, a small serving of greek yoghurt, maybe a slice of toast or a little bit of oatmeal, sometimes a banana or some other fruit. I don't mind spending 400-500 calories on breakfast and then having only a small lunch. By lunch time, I'm not really hungry anyway, and only make myself something simple for a couple hundred calories.

I know, obviously my caloric needs are much higher than yours, and I can budget more calories for a meal than you, but still... The shakeology is costing you just as much as a breakfast sized to the kind of portions you would probably eat anyway. I can easily come in under 1500 calories while eating a big breakfast, and honestly, sometimes I find myself having to add more food to my dinner or having an extra snack later just so I don't go to low on calories for the day.
  • joshdann
    I don't know thing one about shakeology (other than the people who have told me to avoid it), but the powder I'm using doens't need anything other than water mixed in to taste great (consistency included). I usually replace breakfast with a double serving, which is 60 grams of multi-source protein, only a couple grams of fat and carbs, and 290 calories. It's quick and easy, and under USD$2 for the meal. plus I have a few blender bottles. The powder plus water is at the perfect consistency within 10 seconds or so of shaking. no need to mess up the blender or a spoon... and the taste - did I mention the taste? :).

IMO if you're having to mix in other stuff to make the powder palatable, it might be time to find a new powder. I'm not mentioning the brand intentionally. I don't want people to think I'm pushing it or otherwise profiting. I just really like the stuff. Good ones are out there, and not terribly expensive.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Why not just eat real food that tastes good, gives you your nutrition, and doesn't cost over $100 per bag?
  • joshdann
    for me, the powder is cheaper than most "real food" options (especially ones that give me that much protein - I need over 200g daily), it's easier on my stomach in the mornings, and it has some nutrients in it that aren't incredibly easy to get every day otherwise. This is not shakeology, btw. that might not have the same nutrient to value benefit, I have no idea.
  • Lyadeia
    for me, the powder is cheaper than most "real food" options (especially ones that give me that much protein - I need over 200g daily), it's easier on my stomach in the mornings, and it has some nutrients in it that aren't incredibly easy to get every day otherwise. This is not shakeology, btw. that might not have the same nutrient to value benefit, I have no idea.

I bet your powder is cheaper than shakeology, though. People shell out close to $120 per bag of this stuff when you can easily get the same nutrition from other choices without spending so much money.
  • joshdann
    for comparison purposes, I'm paying $55 per 5-lb "bucket" (really is kinda silly how big the bucket is... it's half full when brand new, unopened) that contains 58 servings. I also get some store credit "cash back" to the tune of about 10%, so that helps some. good or bad, that's what it is.
  • for comparison purposes, I'm paying $55 per 5-lb "bucket" (really is kinda silly how big the bucket is... it's half full when brand new, unopened) that contains 58 servings. I also get some store credit "cash back" to the tune of about 10%, so that helps some. good or bad, that's what it is.

I'm with you on that. 2 scoops of Optimum Nutrition is 240 calories, 48g protein. Equivalent to a 1 pound ribeye without the crazy amount of fat (nothing against ribeyes or fat, though!) About 77 servings, $54 5-pound bucket. (Contents settle, that's why they're in such huge buckets btw)

2 servings of whey protein powder $1.40. 1 pound ribeye around $8. Price is a non-factor even against chicken.

Still, nothing wrong with steak or meat in general - better yet wash it down with a shake. It can be rough hitting high protein goals, otherwise. Some shakes are "worse" than others (artificial ingredients) but they're usually based on whey which is fine.

They're called "supplements" for a reason but better to supplement than miss a protein or calorie goal.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    I have been drinking it for a year now - chocolate and soon to be vanilla. I like my chocolate with unsweetened almond milk, peanut butter, and a banana, or with the almond milk, banana, and coconut flakes. So good.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member

Quality of food matters just as much as quantity.
  • Lyadeia
    for comparison purposes, I'm paying $55 per 5-lb "bucket" (really is kinda silly how big the bucket is... it's half full when brand new, unopened) that contains 58 servings. I also get some store credit "cash back" to the tune of about 10%, so that helps some. good or bad, that's what it is.

Yup, yours is a lot cheaper. For Shakeology, you'd need 2 orders to get 58 servings, and you'd be spending $240 to get it. But then you'd still have to buy the milk, peanut butter, etc. that you add to it to make it taste better. Shake-O is insanely expensive for what it is!