Can I eat Snickers even if it fits my calories?

Options

Replies

• myfitnesspaller
    myfitnesspaller Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Snickers are yummy!

indeed:laugh:
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yes! Love snickers. Snickers > Mars.
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options
    Yes! Love snickers. Snickers > Mars.

Sometimes mars tastes better..
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Can I have Butterfinger bars? I mean, really?! Somebody please send Butterfinger bars to me here in South Korea. I haven't seen one in 3 years!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make yourself do extra exercise to earn one when you want one but have it as a rule that you meet your basic calories with healthier foods?
  • evilpixiegrrr
    Options
    I think it's good to occasionally treat yourself while losing weight. It's important to learn how to eat something not-so-healthy maintain (or lose) weight while doing so. If we don't learn how to budget calories in day-to-day life after we reach our goals, we'll just gain our weight back.

Go for it!
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options
    Why don't you make yourself do extra exercise to earn one when you want one but have it as a rule that you meet your basic calories with healthier foods?

Yeah I will have it mostly if it fits my daily schedule. And that too once in a while..maybe once every 2 weeks or so.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Cause this leads to an eating disorder. Think about it. You keep making "bad" choices and you use cardio to cover up the real issue. The real issue being a lack of self control and not using moderation.

Never use cardio to cover up the fact that you're eating too much.
  • Keleb_DaWhiz
    Options
    Absolutely!!!!
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    yes. of course. it's good for morale and even scientifically proven ;)

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

technically it's simply restricting the amount of fuel (calories) that will successfully do the losing business but obviously looking really good long-term might require a bit more effort eg Gwyneth Paltrow!

I include cakes, biscuits, ice-cream, full fat butter / yoghurt, wine, cheese in moderation as part of a balanced diet - too much sugar and I get really hungry and just crave more so counterweight it with protein and veg for bulk, I like good fats as they make me feel full so lots of olive oil and avocados too ... personally, despite being in love with KitKats I now prefer dark chocolate as it just tastes a lot less artificial and sweet - I notice these things more when I eat better

enjoy that bar!
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    I have Snikcers icecream most weeknights :) A calorie is a calorie. Your car can't tell whether is petrol came from BP or Caltex, your body can't tell if your calorie came from a Snickers or a salad.

My car can tell.....and it can tell within about a mile from the gas station. 900 dollars later, my car doesn't get a certain type anymore.
    Same with my body. Yes, a calorie is just a calorie. However, certain calories can definitely make you feel better or worse. Now, having said that, don't completely cut something out of your diet though if you really like it. People tend to fail when they just up and drop everything that's "bad" for them. Just cut back and over time, you'll see/feel a difference.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss.

Nutrient makeup for health.

That said, eat your Snickers. It won't hurt your weight loss if you are still in a deficit. If there's another reason you don't want to have it...like you're diabetic...then don't eat the Snickers.

Like I said in another one of your threads OP, don't overcomplicate things. :flowerforyou:
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss.

Nutrient makeup for health.

I like this. It doesn't get much clearer that this.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I had one for breakfast yesterday ... Call the nutritional cops. :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Can I have Butterfinger bars? I mean, really?! Somebody please send Butterfinger bars to me here in South Korea. I haven't seen one in 3 years!

www.expatexpress.com

You're welcome.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Can you physically eat it? Yes. Should you? That's a different question.

If you're looking to lose weight and keep it off, trying to fit in Snickers, or cake, or a stick of butter, is probably not wise. It's about making better choices for the rest of your life. It's about having a sensible relationship with food and not having a binge mentality.

That's why I don't believe in "cheat" days and the like. If you want to eat something, eat it and move on. Don't binge, don't beat yourself up and don't question your choices. If you do any of the above, then you need to work on your relationship with food, sugar or whatever has a hold over you.

I completely disagree with the part in bold. I think that working foods I enjoy into my daily goal is the best way to make sure I keep off the weight I've lost. So far I've been in maintenance for 9 months. Allowing myself a wide variety of foods helps me stick to my goal. If I thought I had to eliminate ice cream, cookies, and the like forever I would not have stuck with this for the past two years. I would have just stayed fat.

I do agree with the second part, at least for me. But many people have success with cheat days and the like. For me personally working in small amounts of "treat" foods daily is more effective than trying to eat 100% "healthy" all the time and then having a treat day. With the treat day system I feel pressured to fit in all the foods I enjoy in one day and I end up overeating. It's better for me to allocate 20% of my daily calories to have some ice cream or another treat. Then I've got 80% of my calories for whole nutrient dense foods.

ETA: also a big part of maintenance is realizing that life happens. There are going to be parties, and dinners out, and people who bring cake to the office for your birthday. Those who have the skills to work these situations into their plan are going to be more successful (and happier) in my opinion than those who insist that they can never have sweets again. IMO the all-or-nothing mentality is the way to set yourself up to binge.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Go for it and add a couple of miles to balance it out. :) I love snickers but limit myself to how often I get one. I use them as rewards for accomplishing goals etc.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options

three years without Butterfinger?!? :sad:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    taste-snickers4.jpg
    homer-simpson-drooling-picture-7410.jpg
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories and macros, then hell yes!

Sometimes the sugar macro is a problem. Its really low on here for some reason.

Sugar isn't a macro. Macros are Carbs, Fats, and Proteins. Sugar is a carb, therefore a derivative.

And yes, MFP, by default, sets your protein goal too low and your sugar goal too low. You can manually change this to fit your specific goals though.

However, unless you have a medical condition, such as diabetes, then you have no real reason to track sugar specifically. Just pay attention to overall carbs.

right, gotcha!

So Im going to take out the sugar than. I always thought that sugar from chocolate (even thou it fits my day) would be a problem because of the sugar and what not.

thanks

Nope, not a problem at all!

The things that I track are Carbs, fats, proteins, fiber, and sodium.

THIS! I have an ice cream at the end of my day every night, so long as it fits in my calories. If my macros look good, I'm good to go! I've found that since I do that, I have 0% want/need/feel to binge. And guess what? I'm still losing weight steadily and at a healthy pace!

In short, eat your Snickers and do it with a guilt-free conscience :)