Can I eat Snickers even if it fits my calories?

Options

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make yourself do extra exercise to earn one when you want one but have it as a rule that you meet your basic calories with healthier foods?
    Cause this leads to an eating disorder. Think about it. You keep making "bad" choices and you use cardio to cover up the real issue. The real issue being a lack of self control and not using moderation.

Never use cardio to cover up the fact that you're eating too much.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I never make exercise something I do to allow myself to overeat. Set a realistic calorie goal and you will be able to have a few treats along the way.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Go for it and add a couple of miles to balance it out. :) I love snickers but limit myself to how often I get one. I use them as rewards for accomplishing goals etc.

Food as a reward for reaching your goals? This seems a little counterproductive - for me anyway.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to eat snickers if it fits your daily calorie allowance? Or is that going to *slow down* your weight loss (even thou it fits the allotted daily calories). Im asking because I know its not HEALTHY, but I can have it and not go over my calories.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Absolutely - 300 calories of deliciousness. You can search for it on the food database - when you log your food.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If I do eat one... it's those small FUN size ones. Gives me the chocolat kick. It's the other stuff I fight to avoid.. like potato chips, french fries, etc...

GOOD LUCK !!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Of course you can. I know this can be a difficult mental block to overcome for some people, but there is no food that will make you fat if you don't eat too much of it. If it fits your calories AND you have otherwise satisfied your nutrition needs for the day, then enjoy.

I generally allot myself sufficient calories for at least a Klondike bar or other treat, and a beer on a daily basis, even while dieting down.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    yes you can :)

As long as you have tracked your calories accurately and have had a decent enough amount of protein for the day then go for it!

As long as you hit your protein and (good) fat macros, and have had enough servings of healthy carbs (fruits, veg and grains) then you can fill in your cals with whatever you want. :)
  • badwolves
    Options
    If you don't allow yourself treats ever, you're going to end up binging on them later. I have a sweet tooth like you wouldn't believe and yeah, I do give into it often, but I've still lost weight every week since July. You just have to be smart about it.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Can I have Butterfinger bars? I mean, really?! Somebody please send Butterfinger bars to me here in South Korea. I haven't seen one in 3 years!

www.expatexpress.com

You're welcome.

^ Your lifeline to Butterfingers and Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix
  • badwolves
    Options
    Of course you can. I know this can be a difficult mental block to overcome for some people, but there is no food that will make you fat if you don't eat too much of it. If it fits your calories AND you have otherwise satisfied your nutrition needs for the day, then enjoy.

I generally allot myself sufficient calories for at least a Klondike bar or other treat, and a beer on a daily basis, even while dieting down.

Yup, all of this. If I don't have enough calories left at the end of the night for some ice cream and a beer/glass of wine, then it better mean that I had a delicious fried dinner.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Just had a couple of 'fun size' (odd marketing term) ones right on bed time.

What?! Eating chocolate AND after 6pm?

Sweet Jesus On A Moped I'll be the size of a Zeppelin come the 'morrow! ;)
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is yes, yes you can!
    As long as it fits into your carbs intake. Yesterday I ate a Magnum Sandwich ice cream as an afternoon snack since it was my cheat day and I even had a better intake of calories and nutrients.
    The trick is for you to fit whatever you want to eat into your daily calorie goal.
    If you do that, then you will be fine.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to lose weight and keep it off, trying to fit in Snickers, or cake, or a stick of butter, is probably not wise. It's about making better choices for the rest of your life. It's about having a sensible relationship with food and not having a binge mentality.

That's why I don't believe in "cheat" days and the like. If you want to eat something, eat it and move on. Don't binge, don't beat yourself up and don't question your choices. If you do any of the above, then you need to work on your relationship with food, sugar or whatever has a hold over you.
    I'd suggest the opposite if anything; unless you plan to go on never having a chocolate bar in your life again, if you can integrate one in to losing weight, you've got more chance of not putting it back on again.

I suspect a snickers bar is an excellent post-workout 'recovery'?

I always post this in relation to the 'health' of sugar etc, worth a read:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Can you physically eat it? Yes. Should you? That's a different question.

If you're looking to lose weight and keep it off, trying to fit in Snickers, or cake, or a stick of butter, is probably not wise. It's about making better choices for the rest of your life. It's about having a sensible relationship with food and not having a binge mentality.

That's why I don't believe in "cheat" days and the like. If you want to eat something, eat it and move on. Don't binge, don't beat yourself up and don't question your choices. If you do any of the above, then you need to work on your relationship with food, sugar or whatever has a hold over you.

Wait? You're talking about a sensible relationship with food and then advising that the OP never eat a Snickers, cake, or butter ever again? Binging and deprivation are opposite sides of the same coin and both are indications of disordered eating. Balance and moderation are key and can be learned.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Can I have Butterfinger bars? I mean, really?! Somebody please send Butterfinger bars to me here in South Korea. I haven't seen one in 3 years!

www.expatexpress.com

You're welcome.

Cool. I'd also love Rootbeer, but at $38 plus as much for shipping for a single 2 liter bottle, I'll stick what's available here. lol
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    my philosophy is if it fits into your calories for the day. Then you can eat it. Thats whats great about this plan.
  • thefinelion
    Options
    Snickers contain peanuts.. peanuts have protein ;-)
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Make it fit and enjoy eating it. Anyone telling you you cannot is a moron!
  • Just_CallmeTanya_Eh
    Options
    Ofcourse you can if it fits! Moderation is the key!
  • chirosche
    chirosche Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The calorie deficit makes sense. You really have to know your body. Just be careful though because you can trigger an insulin spike which can in turn trigger cravings, which in turn can create new fat cells. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. Occasionally is fine. But you might want to read up on the affects of spiking your insulin levels. Actually, it can be a good thing if done on controlled days, like once a week. Then you have something to look forward to and it could actually trigger fat loss. This process is known as refeeding.
  • Alix68
    Alix68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Why not? Your body doesn't suddenly slam the brakes on the metabolic process because it's a Snickers calorie instead of a lettuce calorie. It's just a unit of energy.

does this also apply to a glass of wine?