Going on a 1000 calorie diet

Options
I've been eating around 1300 for the past month or two around now my weight loss has come to a crawl. Are there any permanent negative long term effects to a low calorie diet? I've started to get hungry mid way through exercise sessions and have been waking up earlier than usual but I'm guessing that from low carbs.

I know it messes with your metabolism but that can be corrected over time. I can put up with the hunger I just don't want to cause irreparable damage.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more, not less.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    That's way to few calories for a male, hell 1300 is way too few for a male.

Your weight loss slowed to a crawl because you're getting closer to your goal weight. That's normal.

Would also be interested in the amount a "crawl" is as well.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Why not 500?

Good luck.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    to start with:

Reproductive hormones, including estrogen and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), are lower. Estrogen is important for healthy hearts and bones. DHEA, a weak male hormone, may also be important for bone health and for other functions.
    Thyroid hormones are lower.
    Stress hormones are higher.
    Growth hormones are lower. Children and adolescents with anorexia may experience retarded growth.

Blood flow is reduced.
    Blood pressure may drop.
    The heart muscles starve, losing size.

Seizures
    Disordered thinking
    Numbness or odd nerve sensations in the hands or feet (peripheral neuropathy)

Peer reviewed source.
    http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/anorexia-nervosa/complications-of-anorexia.html
  • fatslayer93
    Options
    From experience, the best thing to do in increase calories and exercise. I would increase your calories to 1800 and burn 400 calories working out that way your still at a deficit aka losing weight, but not feel tired during the day.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I guess your choices are, starve yourself for the rest of your life... OR find out how many calories you burn in a day and eat slightly less than that to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way. Choice #2 sounds much easier, in the long run, don't you think?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9sqz39lhr1r5r5uqo1_250.gif

But seriously OP: Up your calories and up your exercise. There's no reason to do "some" damage now that you'll have to "correct" later.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP with only 21 lbs to go you should not be trying to lose more than 1lb/week. Set your MFP goal as such and eat back most of the cals you burn from exercise.

Eating too little will end up having you burn a large % of your weight loss as lean muscle, instead of fat.
  • khyuma04
    Options
    That's way to few calories for a male, hell 1300 is way too few for a male.

Your weight loss slowed to a crawl because you're getting closer to your goal weight. That's normal.

Would also be interested in the amount a "crawl" is as well.

less than a lb a week.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a terrible idea. Why would you do this to yourself? It's completely unnecessary and will pretty much guarantee one of two outcomes a year from now: an eating disorder or gaining it all back plus some more. Or both. Again, why would you do that to yourself?
  • andypandy1109
    andypandy1109 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i dont believe in cutting to the bone...as it overall makes you hungry then more likely to binge...i also unlike some firmly believe binges are born from your body searching from the minerals and vits you have deprived it of...slow weight loss is the best it is likly to stay off longer...and so ....what if you achive your 1000 day loss...you cannot maintain that so as soon as you take on more cals it will look like a weight gain...in your mind it will reflect failure...as long as you are loosing something each week then all to the good...the nearer goal the less you have to loose the harder it is to shift...we call it the home straights...you dont say how much more you have to loose?
    anyway for what its worth thats my honest opionion xxx
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I just googled 1000 calorie a day diet and I cant believe how many sites come up promoting that bullsh%t.

No wonder why so many people come in here asking about it.

*smdh*
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    for those of you get off on posting sarcastic and cruel responses to posters who often have serious questions because they just don't know, especially people who are genuinely struggling.......one word, karma.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    to start with:

Reproductive hormones, including estrogen and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), are lower. Estrogen is important for healthy hearts and bones. DHEA, a weak male hormone, may also be important for bone health and for other functions.
    Thyroid hormones are lower.
    Stress hormones are higher.
    Growth hormones are lower. Children and adolescents with anorexia may experience retarded growth.

Blood flow is reduced.
    Blood pressure may drop.
    The heart muscles starve, losing size.

Seizures
    Disordered thinking
    Numbness or odd nerve sensations in the hands or feet (peripheral neuropathy)

Peer reviewed source.
    http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/anorexia-nervosa/complications-of-anorexia.html
    (Great link, thanks)
    U6d7Emo.gif
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    for those of you get off on posting sarcastic and cruel responses to posters who often have serious questions because they just don't know, especially people who are genuinely struggling.......one word, karma.

Sarcasm is how we show our love. Relax. If we didn't give a *kitten*, we wouldn't post at all and let the OP go about his merry way wrecking havoc on his body. We care. We post. Yes, sarcasm here and there, but also, helpful information. Don't get so offended. :flowerforyou:
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around 1300 for the past month or two around now my weight loss has come to a crawl. Are there any permanent negative long term effects to a low calorie diet? I've started to get hungry mid way through exercise sessions and have been waking up earlier than usual but I'm guessing that from low carbs.

I know it messes with your metabolism but that can be corrected over time. I can put up with the hunger I just don't want to cause irreparable damage.

Oh dear Lord :indifferent:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

What is your weight and height? Do you know your body fat %? What are your workouts like?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Here's reason's why cutting to 1000 calories isn't beneficial to ANYONE:

1. The recommended minimum for a woman is 1200 calories, 1800 for males. There's a reason for this. Your body needs more than 1000 calories to sustain itself. Yes, you could technically survive on 1000 calories or less, but you’d be extremely malnourished, weak, and sickly.

2. When you drop your calorie intake that low, your body immediately slows everything down to conserve energy and protect vital organ functions. So even if you are able to drop a few pounds quickly at first, your weight loss will soon stall. Plus, as soon as you go back to a normal calorie intake, you’ll start GAINING weight because now your metabolism is slower than it was before so you can’t eat as many calories and maintain your weight.

3. By cutting so low, you're setting yourself up for a binge-fest. You’ll feel irritable, stressed, fatigued, and deprived, which immediately makes you start craving food, and guess what happens? BINGE. And then where will you be? Right back to square one or maybe even -2.

In short, eat more to weigh less.