Our culture is set up for obesity.

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how many people think that preferring an option to purchase a normal single meal when going out for dinner or lunch = wanting to police restaurants.

That an option of being required to purchase 2-3 dinners at that one seating (one fresh and 2 stale ones to take home) is a far more reasonable alternative to so many posters there than a normal portion size And that if this is not my preferred choice, than there is something wrong with me.

This! I completely agree with you 100% I can't believe how many people are taking this so personally. Also I can't believe how people can't acknowledge that culture does play a factor in the way we go about our lives! Yes in the end you are ultimately responsible for you but the way you were raised and the society you were raised in plays a big role in what decisions you end up making down the line.

I don't see many people taking this personally... but what I do see is a bunch of people making excuses as if what they do isn't at the very least partially their fault and they have no control over what happens to them.

Agreed with the bold part

Because the culture argument goes away when you have people immigrating into North America coming from cultures without this "large size" food issue and still getting obese....that is why I say it doesn't play a part...it's all about personal choices...
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You're just now figuring this out? LOL. But, seriously, I completely agree. However, no one is holding a gun to your head to make you clean your plate in a restaurant. I don't eat out a lot so I don't feel too bad treating myself; however, I make sure I run an extra day (or two) that week. And I often order from the "small plates" section or get an appetizer and a salad or a cup of soup. At places known for huge portions, like the Cheesecake Factory, I get an appetizer and that's it. You have to eat with a conscience. But in America, I agree, we are conditioned to think a portion of mac and cheese the size of your head is normal. :)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Just so I am clear....because American culture likes to large size everything, cars, boats, buildings, and for this topic food....it absovles people of bad personal choices to eat everything in those large sizes and prevents them from doing exercise???????

K still sounds like a cop out to me...but whatever

Just so you're clear -- you're the one only saying "it absovles people of bad personal choices to eat everything in those large sizes".

It sounds like a cop out, because that attitude is a cop out -- unfortunately, it's also a straw man, because you're the only one saying it.

I am the only one saying that our culture is not setting us up for obesity that it is our own personal choices do that? Interesting...I thought for sure that there were others saying the same thing...my bad.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    We came over to the States for our honeymoon in 2001 and I have to say, the portion sizes were unbelievable! We were served up with enough food for a family meal on one plate in some places! I remember breakfast in a restaurant one day, okay lots of fruit on the plate - but to me, the plate it was all served on was a serving dish, not a dinner plate, and it was FULL! We just couldn't eat it.

But the UK follows in US footsteps down so many paths, and sadly, we're seeing increasing levels of obesity here.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how many people think that preferring an option to purchase a normal single meal when going out for dinner or lunch = wanting to police restaurants.

That an option of being required to purchase 2-3 dinners at that one seating (one fresh and 2 stale ones to take home) is a far more reasonable alternative to so many posters there than a normal portion size And that if this is not my preferred choice, than there is something wrong with me.

This! I completely agree with you 100% I can't believe how many people are taking this so personally. Also I can't believe how people can't acknowledge that culture does play a factor in the way we go about our lives! Yes in the end you are ultimately responsible for you but the way you were raised and the society you were raised in plays a big role in what decisions you end up making down the line.

I don't see many people taking this personally... but what I do see is a bunch of people making excuses as if what they do isn't at the very least partially their fault and they have no control over what happens to them.

Agreed with the bold part

Because the culture argument goes away when you have people immigrating into North America coming from cultures without this "large size" food issue and still getting obese....that is why I say it doesn't play a part...it's all about personal choices...

That's a pretty great argument against your hypothesis, actually. People from other cultures come to America and get obese. A couple of things could be happening here:

1. There's something about American food itself that is inherently fattening (i.e. they are eating the same as they always have, and getting fat) -- I think we can rule that out.
    2. They started to adopt American culture, and that was a factor in them gaining weight, or
    3. A person who previously had ironclad willpower and no issues with overeating or lack of exercise, switched into an indolent, slothful fatty absent any external pressures or changes.

The third is pretty hard to believe.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I agree somewhat on both sides...first it it totally my responsibility, and my choices. Society, Culture and lifestyle make it harder to make and stick to good choices (but it is still my responsibility)

example, in the past couple of weeks I have had about 4-5 events/meetings where the meals are included or at restaurant where there really aren't good choices available. I have two more this week. Add this to a busy few weeks with work/family schedule where we are "eating on the go" often which means it's harder to get healthy options. Add to this, my extended family loves "unhealthy" high calorie food, so family gatherings, unless I bring it there is nothing healthy.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I don't think it helps either when your parents tell you 'eat all that's on your plate- don't be rude!'

We do tell our daughter this - at home, and only if she is asking for some dessert and is claiming she's still hungry yet hasn't finished her meal, knowing that she likes the food on her plate. We don't supersize our plates at home, and I put a lot of healthy foods into our meal plan.

Perhaps the better plan would be to cut the dessert size rather than force her to finish the plate. Or switch desserts to fruit.

Here is an interesting article from cnn. I found plenty similar. I see none advocating telling a child to finish their plate.

Pushing kids to eat may cause obesity later – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

While growing up, many children may have heard "clean your plate" or been denied candy. But how do parental attitudes toward food affect a child's weight?

Denying certain foods to children or pressuring them to eat every bit of a meal are common practices among many parents. But researchers at the University of Minnesota found parents who restricted foods were more likely to have overweight or obese children. And while those who pressured children to eat all of their meals mostly had children of normal weight, it adversely affected the way those children ate as they grew older, according to the study published Monday in the journal Pediatrics.

Investigators combined data from two separate research studies. The first, EAT 2010 (Eating and Activity in Teens), studied around 2,800 middle and high school students from public schools in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota. Participants in the project responded to survey questionnaires designed to examine dietary intake and weight status.

Researchers combined that data with information from the Project F-EAT (Families and Eating and Activity Among Teens), a study designed to examine factors within the family environment on weight in adolescents.

From the combined information, researchers were able to gain a better understanding of how parents' approach to food and feeding is related to adolescents' weight. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, obesity now affects 17% of all children and adolescents in the United States - triple the rate from just a generation ago.

“We found that between 50 and 60% of parents from our sample reported requiring that their child eat all of the food on their plate at a meal," said researcher Katie Loth, the study's lead author. "Further, we found that between 30-40% of parents from within our sample reported encouraging their child to continue eating even after their child stated that they were full.

"While these pressure-to-eat behaviors were more frequent among parents of non-overweight adolescents, they were still endorsed quite frequently by parents of overweight and obese adolescents, indicating that many parents endorse these behaviors regardless of their child's current weight status," she said.

Researchers also found dads were more likely than moms to pressure their sons and daughters to eat, and adolescent boys were pressured more than adolescent girls.

“Parental pressure to eat can be detrimental to children because it takes away from a child's ability to respond naturally to their own hunger," said Loth. “Instead, (it) encourages them to respond to cues in their environment which can lead to unhealthy weight gain over time.”

The data also showed that restricting food from kids was a common practice of either parent, in both boys and girls.

“Research has shown that when a parent places a restriction on a particular food item (i.e. no treats) that a child becomes more interested in consuming that food item and will often overeat that food when given the opportunity,” Loth continued. “Instead, parents should be encouraged to allow their children to eat all foods in moderation.”

Investigators believe that parents should keep an eye on their child's weight and make an effort to better understand good eating practices, instead of worrying about whether their kids clean their plates or have a cookie now and then.

Study authors recommended such practices as eating regular family meals, having nutritious snacks at home, choosing healthy foods and encouraging young people to make better food choices as a way to fight weight problems, Loth said.

And most importantly,  “parents should also work hard to model healthy eating and a healthy relationship with food to their child" by eating a well-balanced diet, Loth said.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Just so I am clear....because American culture likes to large size everything, cars, boats, buildings, and for this topic food....it absovles people of bad personal choices to eat everything in those large sizes and prevents them from doing exercise???????

K still sounds like a cop out to me...but whatever
    You are missing the bigger picture but you are not alone since it seems many other people are as well. Funny about all of you preaching personal responsibility but there is something called cultural or social responsibility and so many people want to cop out on that, either out of laziness, selfishness or sheer ignorance.

How is accepting responsibility for my own choices ignoring cultural or social responsibilities???? How is that selfish? or ignorant?

Trust me I see the bigger picutre which is the epidemic of obesity in North America and all over the world due to lack of exercise, good eating practices and lack of education and all the quick fixes and fad diets out there...and trust me I don't ignore my own responsibility to society when it comes to this, I have raised my son to eat to live..not live to eat and have by lead by example by exercising, eating healthy, choosing wisely not just with him but my entire family and network of friends which has in turn changed the way a lot of them live their life and in turn their friends see it as well..
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Something interesting to me. My DD is obese. But when she goes out to eat, she eats only till she is satisfied and stops....she NEVER finishes all her food. I end up taking it home and making another meal of it. I was always told that thin people eat till they are satisfied and stop. If that is so, my DD should be thin....but she isn't.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Size matters for some reason in America. Bigger cars, bigger houses, and of course bigger portions. But it does come down to the consumer. They'll opt for bigger portions rather than better quality. Not that I'm against fast food, but they don't cater to people for health. They cater to them for profit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    All I know... and this may be my post 3pm slump talking too... but all this talk about resturants and huge *kitten* portion sizes is making me want a freaking huge chicken fried steak (of which I will only eat about 1/3) smothered in white gravy with a side of fries....

Thankfully, I don't have any money at the moment to eat out...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I am the only one saying that our culture is not setting us up for obesity that it is our own personal choices do that? Interesting...I thought for sure that there were others saying the same thing...my bad.

I have to assume that you can't read. That's seriously the only way you could have gotten that out of my post.

Welcome to the lowest common denomenator...personal attacks...calling someone illiterate is right up there with saying the argument doesn't matter because they are in their 20's. It just makes you look petty.

And with that I will bid you adieu, au revior and salut because I have a workout to do and food to log and an evening to enjoy without dealing with the likes of you.

PS I still say "Why it's not your fault you are fat" would be a best seller...
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    All I know... and this may be my post 3pm slump talking too... but all this talk about resturants and huge *kitten* portion sizes is making me want a freaking huge chicken fried steak (of which I will only eat about 1/3) smothered in white gravy with a side of fries....

Thankfully, I don't have any money at the moment to eat out...

I'm wanting a giant pasta platter myself, with tiny chunks of crawdad and garlic bread on the side. I'm even willing to divide the serving in half and bring a delicious, jealousy inducing portion to work for lunch tomorrow.

Sadly :cry: no such dish is currently available in my town, and I don't care to go crawdad fishing after work. Kinda glad the Southern-style restaurant went out of business, they were the one place with food on the menu I can't make yet.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to drive..and I walk everywhere including the burbs. :smile:

My mother went from 250 to 125 lbs, working a nightshift fulltime, keeping an immaculate house and making our clothes. How: She cut out sugar, fat, marched around our basement swinging free weights increasing the number of times she went around each week..... and she cooked in bulk on Sunday mornings, freezing the meals for the week.

She wanted it badly enough to find a way to make it work. I think that has been the key for me...it may be the culture's "fault" that I've struggled, but it my responsibliity to find my way if I want it bad enough.

This is fantastic that sheer will worked for you and your mom.
    You are both amazing persons! Could I shower any more praise than this?

My argument is simple: most people aren't as amazing :-)

And, I would disagree:

. Most people are amazing.

I'm going to bet that every single person here has done something which someone else would find astonishing.

"If you think you can or you think, you can't-- you will." Henry Ford.

Oh, BTW, I believe that showering praise on me would count as a cardiovascular exercise.....:tongue::happy:
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    truth_about_portion_distortion.png

Even original portions are big! One slice of my homemade pizza is between 270-350 calories.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    Welcome to the lowest common denomenator...personal attacks...calling someone illiterate is right up there with saying the argument doesn't matter because they are in their 20's. It just makes you look petty.

It's not a personal attack. Plenty of lovely people have poor reading comprehension skills.

What I wrote was quite clear. You should go back and reread it.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    truth_about_portion_distortion.png

Even original portions are big! One slice of my homemade pizza is between 270-350 calories.

Err -- I think the picture has two slices at 500 calories. :wink:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Not going to read:
    Assumed cliffs:
    >People who don't know how to cook complaining they're getting fat
    -because culture is forcing you eat everything? lul

>People who do know how to cook, calling them out

More like:

1. Post that states America has a cultural problem that contributes to our propensity towards obesity.
    2. A bunch of people post straw man comments about "restaurants didn't make you fat, your lack of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY did"
    3. Repeat number 2 enough, the straw man is accepted as the original argument.
    4. Continue talking past one another, such that what could have been an interesting discussion ends up devolving into an entire basketload of stupid.

Pretty much. Also a side argument with massive re-quoting about how long it takes to cook food under random parameters. And one person who is very confused about cultures. But definitely the most common input to this thread is attacking the straw man.
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This article is fairly long, but a good read. Im interested in what people think of it. It sounds a little condescending, but I can also see where she's coming from (a frustrated and discouraged surgeon's point of view).

http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/march/1361848247/karen-hitchcock/fat-city

An excerpt:

The doctors I work with have an excellent grasp of the bio-psycho-social factors that contribute to our patients’ states, but we are only doctors. All we have are the tools of our trade: our ears, our voices, our hands, our pills and our scalpels. The waiting rooms are full, the waiting lists are long, the demand is swelling. Obesity is in many ways the logical endpoint of the way we live. Prevention beats palliation, but we’d need psychologists, motivational speakers, social workers, dieticians and physiotherapists to work with us in order to have any hope of tackling the problem. We’d need policy makers and activists. All we have are doctors like me.

Ostensibly cheap food heavily taxes both the individual and the community in terms of disease and redirected health resources. If longevity and the avoidance of disease remain among humanity’s aims, we should try to prevent ourselves from getting very fat. Forget obesity as a disease; it’s a ruse. For whatever reason, the majority of the population can no longer say I have had enough. For whatever reason, the majority of human beings respond to advertisements inviting them to enter a pleasure state by eating a day’s worth of calories in one sitting, again and again. In the face of this, we are stuffed. We could say, “You are free agents, totally free, so pay for your own consequences.” We could make people pay at the point of choice, via a food tax, or we could limit choice. The other option, always unspoken, is: let us have our cake. Let’s just eat and eat, get fatter and fatter, and work out how best to live with it. This is where we are heading now: fatness, outside of morality, as an accepted consequence of the world as we have made it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I know from many people who visit the states they are always surprised by the size of our meals.

It's a shame it has to be an all or nothing thing with humans we can go back to subsistence farming and suffer high mortality and starvation or we can offer cheap food and feed the poor but have an obesity epidemic.

Food such a necessary evil.