who has kept weight off for 2 years

Options

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    To all those who have kept the weight off, congratulations for your determination and hard work. Well done.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This dude!!
  • LT12344
    LT12344 Posts: 14
    Options
    hi, ive gone from 11 and a half stone to 10 stone in around 2 months but im finding it really difficult to shift the last couple of pounds till i reach my goal weight can anybody give advice?
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I went from over 210 (stopped weighing myself at that point. Too embarrassed to admit to my true weight -- to 133 pounds.)

Went from a size 18-20W to my present size of 6-8.

I did it the same way everyone is saying. More exercise and less binging and overeating. I still log into MFP daily and track my foods and what I drink. I cut out or way back on a lot of things: liquor, sweets, candy, desserts, second and third helpings of my favorite foods, overindulgence in anything that I used to really "pig out" on.

Right now I am trying to regain about 3 to 5 pounds. Not easy -- once you change your eating habits. I still eat many of my favorite foods that some consider "off limits." These include breads, bagels, ice cream, chocolate, cakes and pies,fast food, pizza, red wine, and pastas. Lots more. However, I guess I have learned to eat like a "naturally thin" person. I just have one helping of the so called "fattening" foods and I am OK. I still go out for dinner on a regular basis but fore-go the appetizers and enjoy the full meal, bread and butter and sometimes even a dessert. However, the next day, I cut way back so I don't start to spiral in the other direction.

Unless your have money to burn, once you start investing in smaller size clothing, you have an additional incentive to keep your weight off.

It is a permanent, life-style change. Two years, three years... just keep going. Stay focused on your goals. You can do it too!
  • LT12344
    Options
    ive just found it really hard to count my calories and having to remind myself on portion sizes, im also finding it difficult to stop hunger pangs , and losing the last of the weight is terrible and have found it more difficult in the last week, well done though getting down to the size you are now though!!:)
  • LT12344
    Options
    i its difficult to find light meals and snacks that will fill me up,i also find it had to restict my meals and stop myself going for that sugary snack, its so difficult but i really jusy want to shift my last bit of weight
  • LT12344
    Options
    how did you lose it?
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think you just have a total mindset change and you never go back to it. Eat healthy, smaller portions, exercise more, and move more. After a while your tastes change and you don't miss the foods or if you do have something it is not the treat it used to be. Don't think of it as a diet and stop, it is for life.

I lost 20kg then maintained for a year, and now losing the last 13kg. Heading for target within the three year mark. I did a year of meal replacements, low carb, counting calories, and now on 5:2 fasting. All the time I increased exercise.

I think logging is important, but also knowing how many calories in things- a lolly or something seems way less attractive when you know how long it takes to burn it off. Mindful eating, eating when hungry is also key.
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,373 Member
    Options
    Lost most of mine the last quarter of 2010 into 2011. Have continued to lose weight. Not in the same amounts but it has been in slow amounts. Last summer about 11 pounds, this summer another 7 pounds. I have been maintaining or losing since then. In the past, I lost weight and gained back more. The difference this time is that it is not a diet. It has been a lifestyle change with food and exercise. It is also for the sake of my own health even though I was not suffering from any ailments such as diabetes, high cholesterol or high blood pressure.

I have also passed the two year mark. I think another reason why some people gain the weight back is because they lost it quickly. I have observed this to be true among people that I know that have had success with their weight loss. The people I know that have lost weight and kept it off are people who lost their weight as one or two pounds a week over a longer period of time rather then trying to reduce the weight as quickly as possible. Just look at some of the people from the biggest loser. Many have gained back their weight. Taking the time to loss the weight also allows a person to establish new habits that become cemented into your lifestyle.

I would love to hear about the people that lost weight and kept it off. What was the reason for their success.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have kept mine off almost exactly two years, and am at the low end of my BMI at 18.5.

I know our experiences differ vastly, but if I were to base it solely upon my own, I would say this article is utter horse sh**.

The reason I was overweight was because my diet was terrible. I cleaned it up, reduced my portion sizes, increased my fruit and veggie intake, and guess what! This is freaking easy to maintain.

The only purpose articles like this serve is to be an excuse or a crutch for someone who doesn't want to put in the work.
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,373 Member
    Options
    Amen to that!

It is not a difficult process. Reduce calories, increase activity. People lose weight starving to death. They don't exercise. They have no food. Our problem is the lack of the 3D's. Desire, Discipline and Dedication.
    \
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 and maintained for seven years...didn't gain any back until last year (12 lbs), and that was only due to health issues that contributed to hormonal imbalances. Maintenance is MORE than achievable :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all those who have kept it off. I have only been in maintenance, a few months but I dont plan on going back
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight and kept it off too :)
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Working on 3 years Maintaining in October. As everyone else has said, Tracking Food, Staying Active, and Understanding what a True Portion of Food looks like.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    In 2011 I lost over 60 pounds. I was close to my goal weight, by about 5 pounds. Now I have gained back about 20 pounds and I have to concentrate on losing again. 2011 was the first time I went on a diet in my life, so I think knowing that I can do it is motivation. I sure don't want to go back to the place I was at in 2010! Plus I threw out all my old clothes! :-)

so when you say kept the weight off, I guess I kept most of it off?
  • AndyBloot
    Options
    It's an interesting topic
    My experience is that to keep weight off required a change in lifestyle and attitude towards food and exercise

Food should taste good, but also be good for you
    if it's not, then it is an occasional treat and in moderation only
    it is also counterbalanced by a corresponding increase in exercise intensity or time
    If i eat a pizza while drinking beer, it means an extra workout that week
    If not, i know it will be reflected on the scales and no use complaining about it or wishing it wasn't so

And I made breakfast the most important meal of the day - too many people skip breakfast
    i have a big bowl of 5 grain porridge with rice milk and all other sorts of super foods that boost immunity and aid health
    (I have hep c so I pay particular attention to my health)
    I eat my breakfast around 7am and it lasts me until around 1-2pm when i have a large lunch

to keep weight off i need to get some form of exercise after work every day, and on 2 -3 nights i will only have a small dinner
    Sardines on toast or a smoothie of berries and protein powder maybe with a banana
    I may go to bed a bit hungry sometimes, but means that I look forward to a big low GI breakfast the next morning
    The old saying - breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper

To lose weight and keep it off, for me anyway, requires consistency, determination, will power, and bloody hard work

i also got to know my body and accept that sometimes it needs a break
    When you've been flogging yourself in workouts and every muscle aches and you grunt when you get out of the chair
    it's time for active recovery - a slow to brisk walk or a slow paced cycle or similar

I still try and remember that will power is good, but deprivation isn't
    Donuts are great, but are 'dead food' - all calories for a short lived psychological benefit
    Nuts and seeds are great and are good for you
    i don't feel deprived saying no to a donut - I'll have some nuts and seeds instead

i don't want to sound puritanical - this is just my experience and what works for me
    i have hep c from previous drug use and still struggle with life sometimes
    I believe that food is just another type of addiction and can be dealt with in the same way
    When i'm focused on my health and my weight, it diverts me from less healthy pursuits
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i starting in 2006 and was about 220 ish ..seven years later I am at 173 and 13% body fat...
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I consider myself to have kept most of my weight off too. Lost 40 pounds 10 years ago, and kept them off for 5 years, had a bit of a relapse (of about 15 pounds) that I had gained in few short months and lost just as fast, and now, another 5 years later, I've gained about 8 pounds in few months that I'm shedding again. All this with no exercise, until now.

I do feel that I've got this under control, each relapse was smaller, shorter and "easier to fix". The eating habits I got from my first (healthy eating) diet never went away. I can eat fast food and drink sodas, but I never quite enjoy them anymore - that, I think, is what makes this manageable.

What I wish I had done from the start though was to exercise... I would've spent the last decade looking soooo much better with a bit of muscle definition on!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have kept mine off almost exactly two years, and am at the low end of my BMI at 18.5.

I know our experiences differ vastly, but if I were to base it solely upon my own, I would say this article is utter horse sh**.

The reason I was overweight was because my diet was terrible. I cleaned it up, reduced my portion sizes, increased my fruit and veggie intake, and guess what! This is freaking easy to maintain.

The only purpose articles like this serve is to be an excuse or a crutch for someone who doesn't want to put in the work.

Love this!