Thought I had a home intruder last night.

Options

Replies

• angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Are we all just going to overlook that the story itself was really well written? Lol I was so into that story as it progressed!

YESSSS!!!!!!! I was holding my breath the whole time!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I actually have a very similar story. True story too (hopefully yours is, or I'm wasting my time).

My house is a bit of an open format. My bed is positioned in such a way that if I look down the bed, I can see through the door, out the hallway and all the way to the far wall of the house. So basically I can see at least the doorway of every room in the house from my vantage point.

One morning, early morning, I wake up and I'm looking down the hallway. Suddenly, as I'm watching, the kitchen light goes on. The kitchen is perpendicular to the bedroom doorway so I can't see INTO the kitchen, only the doorway and the fact that the light is on.

Only problem is, I'm home alone.

Now, I am fairly prepared and keep a wonderful .45" bouquet (made in Exeter, NH) on my nightstand. I reach for it...but I can't. I'm frozen. Arms are dead weight, I'm trying to turn on my side to get my arms moving towards my trusty flowers. Nothing happening except pure panic and adrenaline as I stare down the hall at the kitchen.

Suddenly I snap out of it and I can move...and the light is out in the kitchen again.

Once I calmed down (about 3, maybe 4 years later) I realized that it never happened. The lightswitch panel for the kitchen is on the outside of the kitchen doorway - directly in my view from the bed. The actual cause of the incident was sleep paralysis, a condition I sometimes suffer from when sleeping on my back and/or really tired. Especially when I was very overweight. Sleep paralysis commonly includes auditory and visual hallucinations. I have seen and heard some of the most horrifying things you can possibly imagine in the past. It's a very interesting phenomenon and is believed to be the cause of most/all alien abduction/supernatural/blah blah experiences.

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting comparison to your story.

I was thinking sleep paralysis as I read through your story.

I am not the most lucid person when I first wake up. Which is one reason I keep the flowers and the bouquet separated.

I have had experiences before where dream sort of crossed over into waking up, but it only lasts a split second.* I watched the bathroom for a short while, trying to figure things out, before the light clicked off. I did check the clock when I woke up and noticed the light (12:58) and when I got up (1:00) so I tend to think I was awake at the time.

*I've woken the wife up before, and asked her some really bizarre ****. Like if I forgot the car I was working on in the underground garage. Or if we had enough pickles for the flood.

@Dempsey & Angel: Thanks :)
  • Sarahs2576
    Sarahs2576 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The topic is scary enough on its own!!!!!
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    OP, oh my I would've been freaked out, too! Has that skull always been in the right corner of your window? At first I thought it was cobwebs but I zoomed in on it and it's definitely a skull!
    Are you sure no one got into your house? Was anything stolen or different? Someone could have always gotten into your house before you locked it up for the night, hid out somewhere and come out once you guys were asleep. (Hate to change the pace from paranormal to, well, normal haha :tongue:)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    OP, oh my I would've been freaked out, too! Has that skull always been in the right corner of your window? At first I thought it was cobwebs but I zoomed in on it and it's definitely a skull!
    Are you sure no one got into your house? Was anything stolen or different? Someone could have always gotten into your house before you locked it up for the night, hid out somewhere and come out once you guys were asleep. (Hate to change the pace from paranormal to, well, normal haha :tongue:)

We're in a relatively crime free area (knock on wood) and I keep things locked 24 hours a day. That said, nothing was missing.

I put the skull there just to be silly. :) It's a little ceramic glow in the dark skull I got at Disney land like... 25 years ago.

I'm always one for a rational explanation to everything. However, especially late at night, my mind really likes to dabble in the irrational. When it was all done, and I was laying in bed, I could just feel icy pinpricks down the nerves in my back - hair standing up on neck - as if something was watching me through the window.

Something that wouldn't be there if you looked - but still, just maybe, if you turned your head fast enough you might catch it in the corner of your vision... So you turn slowly, very slowly, with held breath, hoping it's gone by the time you fix your eyes into the darkness through the window.

And it's gone, never there, of course. ..but even then, maybe just in the back of your mind, you can make out two black circles, just slightly darker than the rest, like sunken eyes watching you from the night.

Ridiculous, of course. Just a bit of seeing what you expect, or spots in your vision. floaters.

Still. funny how even a non-superstitious person like myself can get a little carried away, that late at night.
  • angelams1019
    Options
    Here's a picture of the bathroom.

We all know that paranormal activity shows up on cameras as blobs, or streaks, or other things that can't be explained by science.

Behold, ghost-free bathroom:

lYJt85N.jpg

FYI- it looks like there's a skull looking into the bottom right-hand corner of your window...Just sayin...
  • angelams1019
    Options
    Ooooh hahahaha I was like WTF DOES HE NOT SEE THAT?!?!

I'm so gullible! :laugh:
  • angelams1019
    Options
    Former property manager here. Your wall switch for the light is faulty. It happens. Replace it.
    Oh I KNEW someone would ruin this!!!
    Always some explanation:grumble:

Nah-! The dog reacted! Something else was going on!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    And that folks is why I sleep with my karambit :smile: :smile:
  • angelams1019
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'd just lay in bed and cry until the ghost came out and dragged me up the walls or something...:ohwell:
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Well given you saw nothing as you stalked your intruder, and your dogs reaction, I vote mouse or raccoon or python. :-0) Maybe it needed to wash the food it stole from the kitchen. I used to have a light in my kitchen that turned on and off a lot especially at night. We replaced switches, wiring but nothing helped. My mother in law stayed one night at our house, swore we had ghosts even tho she did not believe in them and never came back to our house. About 5 years ago we got a new fixture - no more issues.

So, a light fixture made your mother-in-law stay away? I hope you sold that on ebay with the story to go with it. That adds value.

Unfortunately it met a hideous death when it was introduced to the end of my sons hockey stick, hence the need for the new fixture. Yes my MIL refused to come to my home ever again, after that night and that's the excuse she always used.
  • apatheticsloth
    Options
    Dammit, ya got me all freaked out before bed.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Duuuuude defensive weapons need to be good to go at all times or there's no point! Also sorry about your ghosties.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Salt or iron? Never heard that ever.

Spiritual and/or folk magic to remedy hauntings. Black cohosh root also works, though it's not well known.
    Sage is used too, but I think that's more temporary.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    One day I was at home alone, and I very clearly heard a door close and footsteps in the house. This happened to me at work once, too. I work overnight, and am often the only one in the building.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Animals can see ghosts.....my yellow crested cockatoo scares the FAECES out of me when he gets spooked and sits there looking at nothing....... I am always home alone when this happens......
    If it is at evening/night when he does that, birds do get "night fright", which is normal.

No it was during the day 3 or 4 times it has happened, with full light, it has happened a few times during the late afternoon, but I was aware of the causes of those times.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Spooky!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I just want you to know I am Here in a house alone at the time and I just bought a Netflix account to distract me from how damn creeped out I am.

Orange is the new black is a pretty good show, it would seem. .....

And yes, I believe in ghosts, grew up in a haunted house and have seen and heard some very strange things, including possessions. Let me tell you about the time this nine foot shadow walked out of the bathroom with this mangled zombie carcass of a dog . ....

I've never experienced sleep paralysis.

**also, I laughed out loud at the pickles for a flood comment
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That story was sounding vaguely familiar- until the part where you did actually check your wife was in bed.....
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Are we all just going to overlook that the story itself was really well written? Lol I was so into that story as it progressed!

Thank you! I was going to say it is the first fun thread in a long time that caught and held my attention.

Great writing, OP.

Oh and I have been thinking of picking up a bunch of daisies. What type do you suggest for a single woman living alone in the US :wink: