Deadlifts...feel it in the lower back?

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    3 minute video, Deadlift will not snap our **** up by professor Hulse himself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPS2_FMaG_g

thanks everyone for the input and video links. Cuban, I actually watched a few of his videos, I learned some insightful stuff specifically for front squats, which I can do with no problem, but back squats hurt my lower back.
    You did mention not letting your knees go past your toes? Well it's actually allowable. In fact, knees going just past the toes is preferable. Not having them go past may be causing you to lean forward, hence the low back pain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CubanSammich
    Options
    I searched through the thread and saw that she meant squats..The only thing I can think of is the bar is sitting too low and the weight is pulling forward..Also, do you flare your knees outward and screw in the heel?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    My wife's 21 year old trainer had her doing deadlifts--and injured her lower back. It is a stupid/ridiculous exercise. Youre literally lifting EXACTLY how youre not supposed to per every safety course at any workplace. STOP immediately. *in theory* there is a way to do it that will cause minimal damage but in practice its downright stupid.

Thank you for the funniest post made all week.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    [/quote]You did mention not letting your knees go past your toes? Well it's actually allowable. In fact, knees going just past the toes is preferable. Not having them go past may be causing you to lean forward, hence the low back pain.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

[/quote]

Very interesting. I've always heard that you should stay behind your toes too but I am having issues with my lower back after maintaining this posture. My natural inclination is to go slightly over but I've been forcing myself to sit further back. Thanks for the input, I will have to speak with my Physio and see what she thinks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My wife's 21 year old trainer had her doing deadlifts--and injured her lower back. It is a stupid/ridiculous exercise. Youre literally lifting EXACTLY how youre not supposed to per every safety course at any workplace. STOP immediately. *in theory* there is a way to do it that will cause minimal damage but in practice its downright stupid.

Blame the 21 year old trainer for not training her properly, not the deadlifts.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What form of deadlift are you doing? Your torso should really never go to parallel, even when doing RDLs.

Most likely you're...

A. not keeping your shoulders back
    B. not keeping the bar close enough to your thighs/shins
    C. both

And no, you should primarily feel it in your legs.
    I figure this thread is going to attract a lot of deadlift attention anyway, so I may as well ask here. I am doing SLDL (AllPro routine) and my hamstrings are in decent shape so I can bend fairly low (well below shins) while keeping my lower back arched. My shoulders though confuse me. Before I bend, when upright I stand with shoulders back and down - but when I hinge forward, there is some amount of natural rounding of the shoulders with gravity pulling the weight. Do I have to consciously pull shoulders back even when hinged forward?
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bump for info
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    3 minute video, Deadlift will not snap our **** up by professor Hulse himself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPS2_FMaG_g

thanks everyone for the input and video links. Cuban, I actually watched a few of his videos, I learned some insightful stuff specifically for front squats, which I can do with no problem, but back squats hurt my lower back.
    You did mention not letting your knees go past your toes? Well it's actually allowable. In fact, knees going just past the toes is preferable. Not having them go past may be causing you to lean forward, hence the low back pain.

IDEA Fitness member

Actually this is also news to me, all training videos on YT (this is where I go to research form, lol) all show to not permit the knees to go past the toes. I think my issues lie with how far back I bring my elbows. After watching a video from Elliot Hulse, it seems that elbows need to be pointed down.
    I don't remember how or why, but I got it into my head that I need to lean the elbows back to support the position of the bar sitting low.

So with the elbows bent back, the pressure and weight of the bar, is actually causing me to lean forward further, and also since I am attempting to make sure my knees don't go past my knees, it almost feels like I'm being scrunched together.

Tonight, I am going to use my phone to take a video of my form, to see if my thoughts are correct, and will work on positioning the elbows to point down, which in turn will keep my torso slightly upright, hopefully alleviating the lower back pain.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Agreed. *kitten* to grass for me, always. Less stress on the knees.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    What form of deadlift are you doing? Your torso should really never go to parallel, even when doing RDLs.

Most likely you're...

C. both

I figure this thread is going to attract a lot of deadlift attention anyway, so I may as well ask here. I am doing SLDL (AllPro routine) and my hamstrings are in decent shape so I can bend fairly low (well below shins) while keeping my lower back arched. My shoulders though confuse me. Before I bend, when upright I stand with shoulders back and down - but when I hinge forward, there is some amount of natural rounding of the shoulders with gravity pulling the weight. Do I have to consciously pull shoulders back even when hinged forward?

If you're using weight, then yes. If you're doing body weight it's probably not a big issue. However, it's virtually impossible to round your back with your scapulas retracted, and it's nearly impossible to keep a flat back with your shoulders rounded forward.

If you're not using weight I would recommend reaching as far as possible with your hands over your head when doing the eccentric phase of the lift. It will keep you in much better posture.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Very interesting. I've always heard that you should stay behind your toes too but I am having issues with my lower back after maintaining this posture. My natural inclination is to go slightly over but I've been forcing myself to sit further back. Thanks for the input, I will have to speak with my Physio and see what she thinks.
    Here's more info:

During the squat, hip torques increase in conjunction with increases in hip flexion, with maximal torque occurring near the bottom phase of movement (49). Fry et al. (22) demonstrated that forward lean has a significant impact on forces about the hip when squatting. Seven recreationally trained males performed 3 unrestricted squat lifts and 3 restricted lifts where a wooden board was placed immediately in front of both feet so that the knees were prevented from moving forward past the toes. Hip torque was significantly increased during restricted squatting as compared with unrestricted squatting (302.7671.2 vs. 28.2665.0), and this was attributed to an increased moment arm atthe hips caused by compensatory forward lean.

http://www.dentonisd.org/cms/lib/tx21000245/centricity/Domain/700/Everything_you_need_to_know_about_Squatting.pdf

IDEA Fitness member
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're using your back to pull the weight off the ground due to having too horizontal of a back. You use your legs for the first pull off the ground - if your back is too horizontal you will use your back.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think either way (squats or deadlifts), you might feel something in your lower back. I notice it sometimes a little bit in squats and basically all the time in deadlifts. The deads usually hammer my lower back. Not in an injury kind of way, just that I know I worked the muscles.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    'form check video' , LMAO

Do you even.... get up off the couch, bro?

it's a relaxed picture, what can I say?

I have been doing squats since I was 16, so for no back problems! LOL
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Crpap...i don't know why I said deadlifts..I meant squats. I was thinking deadlifts for some reason. yes, this is when I do squats.

Here is one of the better explanations on the internet that explains proper lifting form when executing a Squat. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuF1bmaKcQs
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Most likely you're...

C. both

If you're using weight, then yes. If you're doing body weight it's probably not a big issue. However, it's virtually impossible to round your back with your scapulas retracted, and it's nearly impossible to keep a flat back with your shoulders rounded forward.

If you're not using weight I would recommend reaching as far as possible with your hands over your head when doing the eccentric phase of the lift. It will keep you in much better posture.
    Thanks - I am using weight. So the scapula should be retracted right through the move? with the weight pulling the arms vertically, is a full scapula retraction possible?
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Crpap...i don't know why I said deadlifts..I meant squats. I was thinking deadlifts for some reason. yes, this is when I do squats.

Here is one of the better explanations on the internet that explains proper lifting form when executing a Squat. Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuF1bmaKcQs

Wow, thanks so much for Vic's video, it is really informative!