Beauty procedures to help with weight loss

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's true that it a lot from genetics. Also from hormones I think. But I'm not sure about this. I heard that some stretch marks are result of the hormones - like in the underarms or under the knees. My cousin has it and he is neither tall, nor overweight but he has stretch marks in his underarms which is a weird area for me.
    I guess the pregnancy stretch marks can be caused by hormones too.

Stretch marks in men is caused from growth at a high rate. My own son grew a lot one summer and now has them along with around the underarms from lifting and bulking to quickly. Not hormones.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Vanity for the sake of vanity is different from vanity as a byproduct of healthy living.
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    Vanity? Wanting a nice body is okay, but wanting skin that doesn't sag is not? We all want to be healthy. Some of us (me!) want our bodies to look hard and lean as well. Why is that not vain, but wanting my skin to not sag in the process is? I'm not trying to argue or be mean, but I truly don't get that line of thinking. ???
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Vanity? Wanting a nice body is okay, but wanting skin that doesn't sag is not? We all want to be healthy. Some of us (me!) want our bodies to look hard and lean as well. Why is that not vain, but wanting my skin to not sag in the process is? I'm not trying to argue or be mean, but I truly don't get that line of thinking. ???

Skin sags. That's life. It should be embraced as such. For the record, I'm not against a little bit of maintenance, but reading this thread it seems like some people spend 4 hours per day needlessly applying creams and oils.
    Just a bit silly to me.
    Cary on
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Vanity is strong in this thread.

Okkkkkkkkkkkk..... And how would you call those who have their 6 packs as their profile pics? It's like half of the MFP :)

Too right. I don't care that this is a dieting site, I would NEVER post pictures of myself practically naked online. Be proud of your own achievements *without* needing to seek validation from others.

I do love the sauna. I am not sure it helps for weight loss but I do think it helps to loosen tired muscles and helps to detox. Similarly, I love a good Dead Sea salt bath every now and then. Of course, the best thing is not to put those toxins in your body in the first place, but hey - I'm human and I do stupid things sometimes.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil! I swear by this! Put it on first while taking a shower, do your normal routine (wash/ condition hair, shave legs, etc...) and let it soak into your skin. Just before you get out of the shower, rinse it off. It will give you a radiant glow and leave your skin feeling ahhh-mazing! It doesn't exactly help with weight loss per se, but it works wonders ;)

I use cold pressed olive oil.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can recommend - is once a week - go to the jacuzzi and enjoy the soothing bubbles. Its a form of stress-relief - something about the hot water being thereapeutic for stress. And when we have less stress, our faces become relaxed and we become more beautiful. It's a form of hydro-therapy. Plain & simple - I recommend it.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Sweat doesn't moisturize your skin :) Drinking lots of water and taking healthy oils is good but the top level of the skin needs moisturizing.

I must say it could be cultural differences as well. In my culture skin care and protection starts from the early age.

The top level of skin is moisturised if you are well-hydrated. I used to suffer from excessively dry skin, I've tried almost every product out there. It was like putting a plaster over a knife wound. Then someone suggested I drink more water. Works a treat. It's now my first indication I'm not drinking enough.

Which culture are you "from", then? :)

I'm Afghani but live in Europe.

You're lucky that jst drinking water helped you with the dry skin. I also have a dry skin and even though I drink a lot of water and tea (cultural thing again) but it doesn't help much. I take vitamins and oils too.
    If I don't use body and face cream, it all itching.

Actually thinking of it, most women I know in Miami, LA or NYC moisturize like crazy and believe in facials.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised at some of the backlash comments here with an almost defensive tone. Yes, your dietary intake has a big effect on your skin quality, as does exercise. But your skin is also exposed to the elements. Not all of the products you can use are expensive, and many have proven effects. Since loose skin is such a concern for significant weight loss, I don't know why people would react so negatively to even the idea that you could address that with skin care.
    I am religious about sunscreen. I wear a minimum of SPF 30 on my face, even to the office on a cloudy day, and at least 55 if I will actually be outside. In addition, I take: a multivitamin, fish oil with krill, coQ10, zyflamend (which I am a huge fan of), 10K of biotin, and usually additional C and B-12.
    After a lot of research, my skin care is a mix of expensive and inexpensive, based on quality. I use an inexpensive Neutrogena retinol night cream, but in the morning I use Obagi C serum. I do have a Clarisonic brush and while I do feel like that helps support absorption of things like serums, I suppose it's more of a fun luxury. Specifically, I think that the skin care is keeping my skin firm and elastic while I am losing weight in my face. I had a double chin which is now gone but my jawline is smooth and tight. I love sugar scrubs, and I frequently make my own, with natural oils like almond, apricot kernel and safflower.
    There are numerous benefits to massage, and yes, there are cultures that swear by the whole sauna thing. I think there are a lot of things that support well-being, and look, even if it's just de-stressing, if that lowers your cortisol, doesn't that help support weight loss and general health?
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow, nobody does the beauty procedures? I'm surprised...

nope... i slap on a bit of moisturised on my arms and legs when i can be bothered, but thats as far as my 'beauty procedures' go!!!!

This is me also. Sunblock and lots of water is the extent of my beauty routine.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

Skin sags. That's life. It should be embraced as such. For the record, I'm not against a little bit of maintenance, but reading this thread it seems like some people spend 4 hours per day needlessly applying creams and oils.
    Just a bit silly to me.
    Cary on

Hmm. I am not seeing four hours, anywhere. At all.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    Wow, I'm surprised at some of the backlash comments here with an almost defensive tone. Yes, your dietary intake has a big effect on your skin quality, as does exercise. But your skin is also exposed to the elements. Not all of the products you can use are expensive, and many have proven effects. Since loose skin is such a concern for significant weight loss, I don't know why people would react so negatively to even the idea that you could address that with skin care.
    I am religious about sunscreen. I wear a minimum of SPF 30 on my face, even to the office on a cloudy day, and at least 55 if I will actually be outside. In addition, I take: a multivitamin, fish oil with krill, coQ10, zyflamend (which I am a huge fan of), 10K of biotin, and usually additional C and B-12.
    After a lot of research, my skin care is a mix of expensive and inexpensive, based on quality. I use an inexpensive Neutrogena retinol night cream, but in the morning I use Obagi C serum. I do have a Clarisonic brush and while I do feel like that helps support absorption of things like serums, I suppose it's more of a fun luxury. Specifically, I think that the skin care is keeping my skin firm and elastic while I am losing weight in my face. I had a double chin which is now gone but my jawline is smooth and tight. I love sugar scrubs, and I frequently make my own, with natural oils like almond, apricot kernel and safflower.
    There are numerous benefits to massage, and yes, there are cultures that swear by the whole sauna thing. I think there are a lot of things that support well-being, and look, even if it's just de-stressing, if that lowers your cortisol, doesn't that help support weight loss and general health?

Oh thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it. It was also surprising for me to read so much negativity about beauty routine supporting healthy life style.

I agree on the Clarisonic, I don't see much difference from it. But I've read so much about the Obagi. Is it safe to use in the morning even with the SPF applied?

I'm afraid that weightloss might cause wrinkles to my face and I don't have any so far, maybe just a bit under my eyes. God blessed me with good skin and I'm trying my best to keep it. You know most people have problems with face skin after weight loss, not just the body. Some do fillers or fat injections to give youth to the face.

And yes, I swear by hamam and sauna. I'll try to find the procedures done in the bains here in Paris, it's expensive for full treatment but its amazing.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    my beauty routine:

squats 3x week
    deadlifts 1-2x week
    bench press 1-2x week
    pendlay rows 1-2x week
    overhead press 1-2x week

the overhead press may be a real :grumble: but it's really worth it for how my shoulders look so much better now than they did before I ever did any overhead presses

plus skin is an organ, it needs to be nourished properly from the inside, so getting enough calories, protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals and water in the diet is also therefore part of my beauty routine, and should be part of anyone's.

QFT!

Take out the Pendlay rows, exchange for DB rows and hip thrusts, add in SPF 110 and this is my beauty routine. I also clean my pores with Dial soap and a wash cloth (eek!!)

I don't look anywhere near my age.
  • scottaworley
    Options

Just a bit silly to me.
    Cary on

Talk about defensive. I was not being literal. I was observing that some peoples "beauty" processes seem very involved.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    I take a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses each day for the iron and calcium - but it is supposed to keep grey hair at bay! My hair is very healthy and I don't have any grey yet (I'm 37), but that is genes I think.

I had to google it, never knew of it healthy benefits! You think it helps your hair?
    I take biotin 6000 for my hair. And recently bought Priorin N for my hair but adding 3 pills to my other vitamins is a bit too much...

What else do you do to your hair?

I just use head and shoulders shampoo and conditioner, and brush it every couple of days!
    I think it's in such good condition because I don't do anything to it, frankly. I used to dye my hair in college, but I haven't done that since I was 22.
    I love my blackstrap molasses though - I'd recommend anyone take it, it has so many benefits, and is good if you'd rather get vitamins and minerals from food rather than tablets.
    (That said, I do take one calcium tablet a day - as a vegetarian who has cut way down on dairy, I couldn't see any other way).

Other than that - I've noticed the skin on my arms and legs has gotten really smooth - it used to have lots and lots of tiny little bumps that weren't very visible but I could see them and I just thought there were part of me and there for good. I drink 3 litres of water a day and I am positive that helped to cleared them up.

I'm going to try it then, if I find it in stores... Thanks for the recommendation!

You brush your hair every couple of days? You don't brush it every day?

I also used to dye my hair when I was young and silly. It almost destroyed my hair! My hair was dry and broke all the time. It's been 10 years I don't dye my hair at all and trying to stay this way. When I have more grey hair, I'll start dying it again... Hopefully not too soon.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Sweat doesn't moisturize your skin :) Drinking lots of water and taking healthy oils is good but the top level of the skin needs moisturizing.

I must say it could be cultural differences as well. In my culture skin care and protection starts from the early age.

The top level of skin is moisturised if you are well-hydrated. I used to suffer from excessively dry skin, I've tried almost every product out there. It was like putting a plaster over a knife wound. Then someone suggested I drink more water. Works a treat. It's now my first indication I'm not drinking enough.

You're lucky that jst drinking water helped you with the dry skin. I also have a dry skin and even though I drink a lot of water and tea (cultural thing again) but it doesn't help much. I take vitamins and oils too.

Actually thinking of it, most women I know in Miami, LA or NYC moisturize like crazy and believe in facials.

Chinese/London here. Maybe it's because my natural state is a more greasy skin that I don't need to moisturise unless I don't drink enough? I also tend to stay indoors more than the average person I suspect. Not really thought about it before.

I'd suggest not getting punched in the fact a lot helps. (Looking at your profile pic. :o) )
  • YaGigi
    Options

Just a bit silly to me.
    Cary on

Talk about defensive. I was not being literal. I was observing that some peoples "beauty" processes seem very involved.

Ok, some people are involved in their beauty regime and spend time and money on it. What's your point? You think it's silly? Silly enough for you to keep commenting in this thread like you have nothing better to do?
  • YaGigi
    Options

Chinese/London here. Maybe it's because my natural state is a more greasy skin that I don't need to moisturise unless I don't drink enough? I also tend to stay indoors more than the average person I suspect. Not really thought about it before.

I'd suggest not getting punched in the fact a lot helps. (Looking at your profile pic. :o) )

Oh you're a guy first of all!!! Lol. Of course you don't do facials and wouldn't be as much interested as women, lol. Male face skin is much thicker than female skin. However, I am not sure about Chinese skin. I think you guys have very thin beautiful skin, porcelain skin. It can be drying from the London water and air?

And no I'm not going to punch you :) Im aggressive only for photo shoots :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Oh you're a guy first of all!!! Lol. Of course you don't do facials and wouldn't be as much interested as women, lol. Male face skin is much thicker than female skin. However, I am not sure about Chinese skin. I think you guys have very thin beautiful skin, porcelain skin. It can be drying from the London water and air?

And no I'm not going to punch you :) Im aggressive only for photo shoots :)

Thanks. :flowerforyou:

It still dries out if I'm not careful in my experience. I use it as my first sign that I need to drink more.
  • l0sing_it
    Options
    Coconut oil! I swear by this! Put it on first while taking a shower, do your normal routine (wash/ condition hair, shave legs, etc...) and let it soak into your skin. Just before you get out of the shower, rinse it off. It will give you a radiant glow and leave your skin feeling ahhh-mazing! It doesn't exactly help with weight loss per se, but it works wonders ;)

I use this too! Great as a shampoo 2x week, face and body moisturizer!

I also do skin brushing, which helps to stimulate the skin. It helps to quicken skin regeneration as well as remove toxins from the body.

Biotin for my hair and henna instead of traditional hair dyes.