The Miley Cyrus Eruption

Options
soldier4242
soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
Facebook, Twitter, MFP, Yahoo, and I am sure everywhere else on the internet is on fire with discussion about Miley Cyrus and her VMA show. With all of this discussion I am a little surprised to see that there is one angle that has yet to be discussed.

Why is this shocking at all? This is hardly the first time something like this has been done. Entertainers make their money by pushing the envelope and doing things that we have not seen them do before. Not only do we seem to expect it we also demand it. If an entertainer becomes old hat they run the risk of being seen as stale. In an effort to avoid that entertainers keep ramping up the crazy.

The entire entertainment industry is behaving exactly the way we have trained it to. Sometimes a performer will flop like Miley did but sometimes their strangeness will be embraced and it will turn in to a cult following and truth be told it is too soon to tell what will become of Miley in the long run. Sure she might not have had immediate success but her name is out there and for as many people seem to hate her for what she did there are just as many that seem to love her for it.

The celebrities that are lampooning her now might just ask her to come on to their shows tomorrow. Miley may yet be able sell out theaters one day she might even get her own show. Is it really that hard to believe? Look at Honey Boo Boo, that is a show with no intellectual value at all. It is a dry well that glorifies stupidity and yet it still has a large following of people who watch it regularly.

Let me be perfectly clear, I am not a fan of Miley Cyrus or Honey Boo Boo but there is one thing I have learned over the years is I am more often than not the minority opinion on just about everything. So you can like or hate her performance but if you are one of the many people that is saying that you are "shocked" than I have to wonder where you have been over the years.

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Not surprising to me, but I think she is amusing and a little sad with how she tries so hard to appear like a sex kitten. I guess her publicist is doing something right, because it gets her talked about. I'm not sure it is great for whatever long term plans she may have, but who knows.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    NOBODY CARES. And if they do, they have no life.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing that social media wasn't prevalent when G.G. Allin was doing his thing.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Makes her sound like cystic acne.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I really hate that people see this as news. There are way more serious topics out there right now, and a majority of people are like...."I can not believe she just did that". Just a rant!
  • ittyXbittyXbritty
    Options
    I'll give her a year before she's the next Amanda Bynes or Lindsey Lohan...
    I think she's just acting like a slut because she knows she's talent-less trash.
    I'm sure her daddy must be so proud :')
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    NOBODY CARES. And if they do, they have no life.
    Haha!! Fellow Mudder!!!! 2013 Finisher?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question by referencing social media. The people who actually abuse the hell out of those social media platforms ARE the people who give a crap. The people who don't care also don't reference those social media platforms enough to follow this stuff.
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wasn't surprised at all.
    Disappointed, perhaps. At the state of it all, but certainly not surprised.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I'll give her a year before she's the next Amanda Bynes or Lindsey Lohan...
    I think she's just acting like a slut because she knows she's talent-less trash.
    I'm sure her daddy must be so proud :')

You must be so proud, talking about another person like that.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm over it... I was really over it a few minutes after I watched the video (as I didn't watch the VMA's to begin with)...

I am more concerned with us possibly entering another war in the Middle East that we have no business going into...
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Nice example of a 5 paragraph essay...

I thought her performance was supposed to be sexy, so I looked it up. It turned out to be grotesque, and not because it was overly sexualized - I am all about the sexualization. This was just not good.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    She is what people are entertained by and that's what she does, she entertains, people love to hate her and she makes money from it, me personally I couldn't care what she wears or does.
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I thought what she did was a little crude. I may be in the minority also but I thought she was trying really hard to piss off every family council she could. I don't agree with everything they get mad about but this was a bit much for younger viewers. All she had to do was perform well and people would have talked about it. She didn't need the foam finger and she sure didn't need to continually thrust her hips to get attention. I saw a few of the performances and I thought Justin Timberlake blew her out of the water and all he really did was sing and dance. She might want to re-evaluate how she is getting herself talked about in public.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Slow news day?
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    I've missed out on a lot, but then again, I've never seen her Disney show.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing that social media wasn't prevalent when G.G. Allin was doing his thing.

He was an innovator and master showman, the absolute king of shock value. Nobody could clear a club out faster than he could. Makes Miley look like a nunn.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You raise a very good point.

Perhaps it's because she, like many other celebrities, became famous as "innocent youth", and once they become older and try to shed the innocent image they original had, it's often over-the-top and shocking compared to the image they previously had.

Now, I'm also a little too young to know the process by which other stars did the same (other than Brittany Spears) so that might be why it's shocking to me. Shocking, but not surprising in the least. Perhaps it's shocking because of how completely vulgar, inartistic, distasteful and sloppy the performance was. I don't mind if a celebrity is wanting to do something shocking to get their name out there, but what she did just leaves a bad taste in your mouth opposed to just leaving you shocked and intrigued. Perhaps that's why people are shocked.

I also think that if it didn't shock ANYONE that would be a big problem - what kind of world would we be living in where explicit and vulgar sex acts on stage by a young girl whom is more than likely still idolized by many many children is normal and does not bother anyone? I guess we are already living in that kind of world, sadly.

ETA: Oh yeah, and Lindsay Lohan..and now Amanda Bynes...Xtina had her little stint too. I forgot about all these people - probably because I don't really care all that much about them. But I guess talking about them just disproves that last comment too :sad:
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Since I didn't actually watch it, the only thing I've been disappointed by is with all that money and extra time on her hands, why is she so flabby? ;)

Could be because those bottoms were about 3 sizes too small but I'm not buying it. :)
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Isn't it nice there's nothing happening in Syria that might have the west firing off missiles against the wishes of the Russians, not to mention the Iranians, and that everyone in Egypt is happy so people can concentrate on what is really important.