Beauty procedures to help with weight loss

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I choose to use my money for my gym membership rather than overly expensive often unproved beauty products. But hey, whatever floats your boat I say ;-))

Seriously you think gym membership will help you with wrinkles in future?

I am 36 and don't have a single wrinkle. I do use lotion daily (from the grocery store!), but otherwise, a healthy diet and exercise and lots of water. *shrug*

Wrinkles come from the loss of collogen (sp?), which is noth genetic and environmental. Vitamin C helps build and maintain collogen. East oranges and strawberries and raspberries and save your money on the ridiculous and expensive treatments.

My BFF spends ridiculous amounts of money on beauty treatments and every time I see her she looks worse than the last time. But she also drinks too much, smoked for 20 years and goes to tanning beds all the time. And she doesn't exercise.

(She's younger than I am and looks five years older.)
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    I do dry skin brushing several times a week. Once a month or so I do a body scrub (with home made olive oil and salt scrub) which makes skin feel wonderful. I'm also 36 and no wrinkles - never smoked, not a sun worshipper either, and parents both look young. I think diet is most important, plus drinking lots of water. No other body treatments, apart from the occasional mani/pedicure.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I do dry skin brushing several times a week. Once a month or so I do a body scrub (with home made olive oil and salt scrub) which makes skin feel wonderful. I'm also 36 and no wrinkles - never smoked, not a sun worshipper either, and parents both look young. I think diet is most important, plus drinking lots of water. No other body treatments, apart from the occasional mani/pedicure.

So you just brush the old skin away and don't put any moisturizer on top of it?

I also my own scrub - mix of coffee and sour cream.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I take a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses each day for the iron and calcium - but it is supposed to keep grey hair at bay! My hair is very healthy and I don't have any grey yet (I'm 37), but that is genes I think.

I had to google it, never knew of it healthy benefits! You think it helps your hair?
    I take biotin 6000 for my hair. And recently bought Priorin N for my hair but adding 3 pills to my other vitamins is a bit too much...

What else do you do to your hair?

I just use head and shoulders shampoo and conditioner, and brush it every couple of days!
    I think it's in such good condition because I don't do anything to it, frankly. I used to dye my hair in college, but I haven't done that since I was 22.
    I love my blackstrap molasses though - I'd recommend anyone take it, it has so many benefits, and is good if you'd rather get vitamins and minerals from food rather than tablets.
    (That said, I do take one calcium tablet a day - as a vegetarian who has cut way down on dairy, I couldn't see any other way).

Other than that - I've noticed the skin on my arms and legs has gotten really smooth - it used to have lots and lots of tiny little bumps that weren't very visible but I could see them and I just thought there were part of me and there for good. I drink 3 litres of water a day and I am positive that helped to cleared them up.

I'm going to try it then, if I find it in stores... Thanks for the recommendation!

You brush your hair every couple of days? You don't brush it every day?

I also used to dye my hair when I was young and silly. It almost destroyed my hair! My hair was dry and broke all the time. It's been 10 years I don't dye my hair at all and trying to stay this way. When I have more grey hair, I'll start dying it again... Hopefully not too soon.

Here in Ireland, I get blackstrap molasses in any healthfood shop. Make sure to get blackstrap, not regular. I get this one by Meridian: http://www.nourish.ie/meridian-organic-blackstrap-molasses/merm061pd.html

I only brush my hair every couple of days because I have an easy style and I often scrape or clip it back, I don't need to dress up for work.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil! I swear by this! Put it on first while taking a shower, do your normal routine (wash/ condition hair, shave legs, etc...) and let it soak into your skin. Just before you get out of the shower, rinse it off. It will give you a radiant glow and leave your skin feeling ahhh-mazing! It doesn't exactly help with weight loss per se, but it works wonders ;)

Oh wow, nice! Thanks for the recommendation! I've never thought of using coconut oil this way!
    I usually just use it on my hair and I swear by it! It's the best treatment for dry hair! I put it on my hair 2 hours before hair wash. And later wash it off with my shampoo.
    And it's the only oil that can be easily washed out after one wash. Usually with other oils it takes 3-4 washes which is damaging for hair.

It also helps keep bugs away! Slather some on and your skin will be sooo soft, and no skeeters!
  • Mellyandy
    Options
    Honestly I just drink ALOT of water, just started drinking from a 4 litre container 2 days ago:) And I use Nivea for my face and body. Sometimes ill use other body creams, like jergens. I use bio oil sometimes as well on my face not very much though cuz itll make me break out. my skin is VERY SENSITIVE!!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My skin improved when I stopped trying to follow a "skincare regimen" with "clarifying" and "toning" and "moisurizing" and "defoliating" stuff. Now I just rinse in the shower, sometimes use a bit of very mild cleanser, and mild (grocery store) moisturizer during dry wehather. My skin is smoother, and both less greasy in some places and less dry in others.

My hair improved dramatically when I stopped washing it every day and using extra products on it. Now i wash every few days with a very gentle shampoo that promises no special effects. Hair doesn't get dirty as fast, and isn't as dry and frizzy.

Most "beauty products" are really expensive snake oil.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My skin improved when I stopped trying to follow a "skincare regimen" with "clarifying" and "toning" and "moisurizing" and "defoliating" stuff. Now I just rinse in the shower, sometimes use a bit of very mild cleanser, and mild (grocery store) moisturizer during dry wehather. My skin is smoother, and both less greasy in some places and less dry in others.

My hair improved dramatically when I stopped washing it every day and using extra products on it. Now i wash every few days with a very gentle shampoo that promises no special effects. Hair doesn't get dirty as fast, and isn't as dry and frizzy.

Most "beauty products" are really expensive snake oil.
    I have natural curl and if I don't wash it every day, I look like I just rolled out of bed! lol

But I rinse it once a week with cheap canned beer and that has helped with dryness that was starting up the last year or so.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I pretty much gave up on "beautiful skin" after a horrific accident at age 15 that scarred up my left side, lower abdomen and left a good gash by my eye. I do want my skin healthy, and use lotion randomly towards that goal, but spa days seem like a waste of money (never gonna get rid of scars) and a hot shower is as relaxing as paying the fees to go use a Jacuzzi. I used moisturizers while pregnant to help the stretch mark situation; however, I still got them because my scars puckered and expanded.

I wouldn't say I'm not beautiful, I love my body right now. I would, however, say that buying expensive products would be a waste of my time and money because nothing is going to reverse the parts I don't like.

Nearly 50 pounds down and no loose skin yet. I credit water and vegetables.
  • sweepgurl101
    Options
    I LOVE this thread!!! I do a number of different things, but all of the products I use are all natural (meaning I make alot of my creams, butters, oils and scrubs myself)

1. I drink over 100 ounces of water daily.
    2. I enjoy 20 + minutes in the sauna weekly
    3. Unrefined Virgin Coconut works wonders! I use it on my face and body daily and have no blemishes because of it. Doesn't hurt to cook with it either ;-D
    4. Homeade sugar or sea salt scrub - once a week. It's great for exfoliating the skin.
    5. Jamaican Black Castor Oil - use on my hair - helps with hair growth and keeps greys away
    6. Biotin, Multivitamin and Fish Oil

I'm thinking about coolscupting - there's a special going on in my area.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I haven't really done too much different to support weight loss. I use Aveda products for my skin and hair and get facials about every 4-5 weeks. I have thought about body wraps just for the experience, but don't really need them. I also drink a lot of water and dont spend much time in the sun.
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options

So you just brush the old skin away and don't put any moisturizer on top of it?

I also my own scrub - mix of coffee and sour cream.

No, I don't moisturise after. Normally do it before bed.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Sqeeum (spanx on steroids)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I pretty much gave up on "beautiful skin" after a horrific accident at age 15 that scarred up my left side, lower abdomen and left a good gash by my eye. I do want my skin healthy, and use lotion randomly towards that goal, but spa days seem like a waste of money (never gonna get rid of scars) and a hot shower is as relaxing as paying the fees to go use a Jacuzzi. I used moisturizers while pregnant to help the stretch mark situation; however, I still got them because my scars puckered and expanded.

I wouldn't say I'm not beautiful, I love my body right now. I would, however, say that buying expensive products would be a waste of my time and money because nothing is going to reverse the parts I don't like.

I have scars from a bilateral mastectomy, and my plastic surgeon told me that Scar Away, a simple piece of silicone with adhesive, is the best thing. Your body heals itself best, and the silicone just keeps the natural oils and what-not in the scar region to accelerate healing.

I have many friends who spend a lot of money on spas, La Mer products, botox, scrubs, strange Japanese beauty treatments, etc., and none of it works in the long run. The ones who look the youngest are the ones who include strength training in their exercise routines, eat mostly nutrition dense foods, don't drink a lot, and use copious amounts of sunscreen. Ironically, they're the ones who spend the least on trying to look younger. Good nutrition does far more for the skin than any cream can.

Okay, so a face lift works to some extent, but then you need to maintain it, and you eventually end up looking like the old lady who has had too many facelifts. :ohwell:
  • YaGigi
    Options

Im sorry, hon...
    Did you try any peels to reduce the appearance of your scars? Like chemical peel?
  • YaGigi
    Options

Thanks. :flowerforyou:

It still dries out if I'm not careful in my experience. I use it as my first sign that I need to drink more.

Maybe it's the climate and water that affects your skin?
    When I go back home, my skin gets dry as hell! Because our climate is very dry. My hands and feet get sooooooo dry in just a week, they start bleeding
  • echelonokie
    Options
    Personally, I'd love to try Lipolite. Think that's how it's spelled. I've seen really great results on a friend of mine and there's no down time at all. It sounds like that Cool sculpting might be like this is.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Im sorry, hon...
    Did you try any peels to reduce the appearance of your scars? Like chemical peel?

My nurse advised they would never fully go away, she told me to keep them medicated and out of the sun until they healed. They've faded quite a lot but I don't think they will totally go away. I've lived almost half my life with these, they are a part of me now; I don't want to risk the side effects of a chemical peel. I don't think something superficial would do any good on such old scars, and a deep peel is a second degree burn; who wants to suffer that for "beauty"?

I'm not too bothered by it, they show where I've been and testify to my resilience. I just don't see a reason to spend a lot of time, money or worry on my skin, when life is going to leave a mark one way or another. Maybe my psyche was affected by how young I was when I had those permanent marks put on me.

As a side note, I love smiley-wrinkles on people; they show where those people have been in life, and how much they've smiled. I hope I have crunchy eyes someday, myself!
  • camperchick64
    camperchick64 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm all about using creams and lotions on my skin. I've done it since I was a teenager and I'm going on 50 and everyone thinks I'm mid 30's so I think it pays off.

I'm interested in the bust cream. I looked up Collistar and its pretty expensive - but if it works I'm fine with that. Can anyone tell me what difference they noticed? I am heavy chested and through the years of gaining and losing I notice age on my chest. I use coconut oil, I've used castor oil and of course the same cream I use on my face. My problem is I have blemishes and I notice it breaks out much easier. I tried to use Vitamin C and it really broke out my chest. So I must be more sensitive in that area. Any one have any other good bust creams they use?
  • YaGigi
    Options
    Im sorry, hon...

My nurse advised they would never fully go away, she told me to keep them medicated and out of the sun until they healed. They've faded quite a lot but I don't think they will totally go away. I've lived almost half my life with these, they are a part of me now; I don't want to risk the side effects of a chemical peel. I don't think something superficial would do any good on such old scars, and a deep peel is a second degree burn; who wants to suffer that for "beauty"?

I'm not too bothered by it, they show where I've been and testify to my resilience. I just don't see a reason to spend a lot of time, money or worry on my skin, when life is going to leave a mark one way or another. Maybe my psyche was affected by how young I was when I had those permanent marks put on me.

As a side note, I love smiley-wrinkles on people; they show where those people have been in life, and how much they've smiled. I hope I have crunchy eyes someday, myself!

That's true. I also love those smiley wrinkles. My friend has them. He's 49, he looks seriously HOT, and he has this playboy sexy guy personality girls get attracted to. He's got these wrinkles because he's always smiling and flirting. Love it :D:D