What to do with sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    I eat them raw sometimes. Just slice em up & refrigerate them. They taste kind of like carrots.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Put them in a microwave bowl with cover. Then add little bit of water on the bottom. Place in microwave and nuke for 5-8 minutes.

Take out and let cool down, then eat with skin.
  • nutritionstudent12
    Options
    Boil then mash with a little milk! Perfect side to any meal!
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    throw them at people you hate
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    nuked for 5-7 minutes and sprinkled with cinnamon

This...

But... if you're feeling adventurous, you can always make sweet potato pancakes... Or sweet potato bread... whipped sweet potatoes... sweet potato soup.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Throw in the microwave for 3-4 minutes in a ziplock, cut in half, top with diced chicken, steamed carrots and celery, blue cheese, and buffalo sauce... DELISH
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I made Lemon Miso Roasted Sweet Potatoes the other night - they were fantastic. I ended up with 6 servings.

2 Large Sweet Potatoes, cut into chunks
    1 Leek, coarsely chopped (white and light green portion)
    1/4 Cup White Miso
    4 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
    3 Tbsp Olive Oil
    3 Tbsp Tamari (or soy sauce)
    1 Lemon (zest it and juice it)
    S&P to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix up the miso, vinegar, olive oil, tamari, lemon zest and lemon juice. Taste the sauce and decide if you need salt and pepper (it's really salty as is, but when you add it to the sweet potatoes, it totally mellows out). If it's too salty for you, add a little honey. Pour over potatoes and leeks and then spread evenly on a baking sheet.

Cook for 40 - 60 minutes.

Original recipe can be found here (friend's blog): http://www.urbansacredgarden.com/2013/07/28/lemon-miso-roasted-sweet-potatoes-me/

This was a great side for chicken skewers, and I brought it during the week for a side to go with my lunch wrap.
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    These are some great ideas!!!

I love them just plain baked, however we were discussing them at a family gathering this weekend and someone said that if you bake them first, let them cool and then freeze them individually wrapped in aluminum foil they end up sweeter.. This person bakes a whole batch then defrosts them one at a time as a side for their meal.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    eat them
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I LYKE MYNE WIT MAPEL MAYNAIZES.
    JUX DUE WUT U LYKE!

*sigh* i miss batman
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I used to hate sweet potatoes. I had only tried them baked.

This recipe changed my mind on them: http://www.theppk.com/2010/12/red-lentil-thai-chili/

Also, sweet potato fries are amazing with a little bit of spicy mayo dip.
  • D_Ryback
    D_Ryback Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I put a drizzle of olive oil on mine with salt and pepper and they are amazing
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just last night, I decided to try peanut butter on my baked sweet potato. It was awesome. Just the right amount of sweetness and creaminess. I imagine any nut butter would be good. It does add calories, but it's a good source of protein and healthy fats.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    We cube them, a little oil, chipotle or southwest seasonings, mix em with halved brussle sprouts and bake! MMM.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    The only kind of sweet potatoes I've ever had are 'loaded', aka tons of butter, sugar and cinnamon, baked sweet potatoes. For some reason, I bought some the other day and I really want to do something a little healthier with them but I'm not a good cook and I don't know what else to do with them. Thank you!!
    Sweet Potato Fries (in the over baked of course)
    IMG_0077_1_zps734f0d2b.jpg

1 serving 8oz of potatoes

Cut your potatoes into fries. Add desired spices in a bowl. I use onion powder, garlic powder, Italian spices.( or to make with coating all of these and 1/2 cup of oats. (mix all spices and oats into blender)

After soaking potato to remove any extra starch, dry, add fries into a plastic storage bag with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, mix. Add spice mix into bag, shake. Poor into baking sheet and into the oven they go. My wife literally wants this ever night for supper.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Put them in a pot with rocks and cook until they are soft and sweet and ommmmg om nom nom
  • MudDancer
    MudDancer Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cut 1 sweet potato into wedges
    Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and as much cayenne pepper as you like
    Roast in oven at 450, flip after 15 mins
    Should be ready in another 10-15 mins
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is roasted in the oven and then eaten with a bit of Promise, S&P.

Other ways are cubed and roasted with other root veggies -beets, turnips, parsnips, carrots and rutabega -toss in a bit of olive oil, sprinkle on garlic, pepper and thyme. Try them skewered and on the grill...OMG!

Like another poster said, anything you can do with white potatoes you can do with sweet potatoes.